Descarga

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
What is it?Im not sure I understood one single word about what wikipedia had to say on this topic...Please explain it to me.Thanks,Dress

Comments

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I thought it meant "jam session", roughly. Lots of improv, solos, and conga break downs...

• Thannks and bump...

Is Button right?

Dress

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    From what I know, yeah, that's a good definition. The thing about descargas is that, from my experience, they're always very fast and energetic. It's definitely dance music so even though a descarga doesn't describe a rhythm or song form in a more formal sense (unlike, say, a son or guajira), if a song is described as a descarga, it's going to be fast-paced and vivacious. There might be some rhythmic consistencies between different descargas or similar instrumentation set-ups but I'm not sure. To me, descargas just sound like descargas which also means they don't sound like a fast mambo or guaracha even those both of those are higher-tempo.

• Thanks to the both of you.

Dress

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Descarga literally translates to "unload," in the latin music context its when you jam out or unload your heavy shit, like there is an underlying rhythm to the song and people solo and jam on it. Get loose.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    vivacious

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    yes dance music/jam session...

Sloepoke has a really dope night out here in LA called Descarga.

• paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts
    Yes, improvisations they're also called rumbones (not sure if there's translation to english), characterized by simple harmonic structure, usually using son montuno chords. Emphasizing heavily on rhythm.
    Check for instance Con poco coco by "Negro" Vivar, "El Tojo", Bebo...