Digi camera advise?

Ayrotollah77Ayrotollah77 415 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Lookin' into finally buyin' a digi. Any suggestions as to quality brands etc..I want quality but i'm also hopeing to spend less then $350 or so.Thanks

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I recently bought a used Fuji S9000 for $250. It is like a "mock" digital single lens reflex. It allows you to tweak the image much like a 35mm film camera would but it's digital. The lens is stationary and goes out to 300mm, so it seems pretty professional but at a reasonable price.

A new one can be had, I'm pretty sure, right about in your price range +/- $50.

The only real minus of the camera is the fact that the viewfinder is digital so you're not really looking at exactly the image you'll get, but it's pretty close.

• Canon powershot 750. This little badass is around 250.00 and has all you would need in a quality digital camera. 7.1 megapixels, 3x optical zoom, face detection, and easy to use. I have the Canon powershot 700, which is last years model and I love it....the 750 is just a step up in performance and bells and whistles. All the reviews for the camera are excellent.

Now I look at that Fuji above my post, and wish I had that...damn you electronics!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    This site really helped me out, their reviews are great, and you can compare cameras as well, so yyou get a good idea of the comparative pros and cons

http://www.dpreview.com/

Good luck.

• word,good lookin out fellas..I think right now i just want a point and shoot.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    word,good lookin out fellas..I think right now i just want a point and shoot.

point and shoot? get a canon.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Good suggestions above.

I invested in a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 earlier this year, after a few years using a Sony Cybershot P-120. The Lumix uses a Leica lens, which is really nice: the colours and contrast are sometimes slightly exaggerated, but the results are really warm and have depth.
    Really easy to use too.

Here's a couple of shots I took that were literally 'point and shoot' with the Lumix...

B-boys at the Crooked Tongues Puma party...

The view from my desk at home...

The view from my room at the Park Hyatt Hotel, Tokyo (as seen in 'Lost In Translation')...

Sorry, this wasn't meant to be a photo essay, but I'm always pleased with the Lumix pictures.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I really want one of these for traveling:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1287

I've been impressed by Nikon and Olympus, and thoroughly unimpressed with every Canon I've touched.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    For a point and shoot I highly recommend the Fuji F31 FD, it's a great little camera that excels at taking pics in low light. Check out the full review here , they compare the pic quality of the f31 to the Canon 800IS and the difference between the two at high ISO's is astounding. You should be able to find it for around $250.

• thanks for the examples..that b-boy flic is dope..Is that bulb effect or sumthin?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    word,good lookin out fellas..I think right now i just want a point and shoot.

We bought my sister in law a Canon ELPH 1000
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD1000-Digital-Optical/dp/B000NK8L6W

...I've liked it so much I'm jealous we don't own one. (I use a digital SLR and inherited a decent Sony point and shoot from another family member) but the ELPH 1000 takes really excellent pictures, is super compact and fairly affordable. The only complaint is that it takes pretty shitty pics in low light but that's to be expected with a point and shoot like this.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    the ELPH 1000 takes really excellent pictures, is super compact and fairly affordable. The only complaint is that it takes pretty shitty pics in low light but that's to be expected with a point and shoot like this.

cosignator. i am shooting mostly with a ricoh gx100 these days but the latest canon elph is my pocketable point-and-shoot of choice.

• Any suggestions on where to find good deals online,besides the bay?Peace-P77

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    For a point and shoot I highly recommend the Fuji F31 FD, it's a great little camera that excels at taking pics in low light. Check out the full review here , they compare the pic quality of the f31 to the Canon 800IS and the difference between the two at high ISO's is astounding. You should be able to find it for around $250.

class leading, noboody touches it. Canon wins on user interface/menu system, but fuji KINGS all in iso quality. The dpreview review actually used slr shots to compare iso w/ the f31, pretty incredible for a p&s. I own one to go along w/ my slr, enough said.

Finally, DO NOT get hung up on pixel count. It's a marketing game, for a p&s anything beyond 6mp is more than enough. Also not all iso is created equal, just because a canon lists iso 1600 doesn't mean it's even remotely useable on that setting.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

point and shoot? get a canon.

Get a Canon PowerShot Digital Elph. I've carried one for the past 6 years or so and they take great pictures. I like how small they are and how easy it fits in my pocket. Right now I have an SD450 that my wife bought me last year. I've taken well over 5000 photos with it.

• I copped a Fuji 31d on the strength of recommendations here last time around, very happy, nice and easy + the 3200 ASO setting - now I just got to start taking more photos