need some reggae help plaese

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
what is the title of this? the A-side label is gone, and the title, as you can see is kaput...the run out groove is DYNA 2450-1 on the a side, DYNA 254-1-1 on the b-side...cant make out a refrain that might clue me into the title and I cant find a crystalites or crystal discogrpahy online. Sounds expensive...I wanna ebay it, but gotta have the title...thanks in advance!

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    can you give any of the lyrics?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    "I was gonna lose her, oh why dont you understand?" is how it starts off...

has an old school 3 part harmony backing vocal...instrumentation seems to be guitar, piano, bass and drums...no electronics at all, so I am thinking perhaps 60s?

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    Alright, dude, I'll bite. Could be "The Loser" by Derrick Harriott. Does it start with a sweet piano riff? If it is, it's not at all rare, at least in terms of reggae.

If you post audio clips, it's easier.

• There's not a whole lot on that label that's worth much. "Born Loser" is a lovely tune, a favorite of mine, but pretty common.

Sorry if I'm telling you what you may already know, but chances are the vocals are by Harriot himself, so maybe check his discography. Harriot has a song called I'm a Loser (with a beautiful and prominent piano) - but it's pretty clear in the chorus what he's saying.

I checked his discography first, couldnt find it...yeah it starts off with a sweet piano riff, it is a great tune, so perhaps it is this "loser" tune...well, if it isnt worth much, no biggie...the vinyl is clean and its a great song, so into the keeper box it goes. It sounded so nice when I was playing it in the shop and then the bossman checked ebay, saw the completed listings for Crystalites 45s and was on my ass to ebay it...

ahhh! Well, I listened to the Derrick Harriott track, the backing track is the same, but the lead vocal is different...not Derrick singing lead on the 45, someone else siging different lyrics...but the background vocals and entire backing track are the same...

If you ever see the 12, which has Slave on the flip - that's the one to have (not to sell, but to enjoy. one side and then the other and then back again and then back again!!)

ok, now that the Crystalites questions is partly answered, got a nother head scratcher...got a rcoksteady blank with "Maurice Joseph" written in magic marker and "success" printed(label name?) the tune is "Crazy"(Patsy Cline/Willie Nelson jernt) and I dont know the flip? Cant find shit....

About the Crystal side - I can't access it at work, but try the 45s section on the Ernie B site - it lists singles according to rhythm - something might show up there if it was ever repressed.

Your new question is most confounding - Maurice Joesph could be the name of a previous record owner! But Success is a label name.

We need clips man!

I cant do clips at the shop, I gotta do 'em at home...I wont be able to until Friday evening...gotta get my radio show together and go on the air tonight and tomorrow gotta bar gig...but yeah Ill post clips this weekend at the latest...

• I think that's a Dobby Dobson side. Here's a fantastic resource, for future reference:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~tapirs/

There's a Success label discog on there, which is where I found the info on your single.

lol - yes, a little more everyday.

• Yeah that site is awesome. I wish they had put up a web-searchable edition of "Roots Notty Roots" though.

Yeah that site is awesome. I wish they had put up a web-searchable edition of "Roots Notty Roots" though.

thanks! I forgot that you posted that site a while ago...just what I needed!

This is a nice one too, it is very lovingly done

http://www.johnnyspencer.info/

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    While there is a reggae help thread active, can someone
    hook me up with a nice MP3 of Horace Andy "Skylarking?"
    ... I have a dope DJ cut to it, and am going to be doing
    a reggae radio show tomorrow and would love to be able to
    play the Horace Andy into the DJ cut - I know I have it on
    something, but searching is not turning up anything

... any help at all will be mucho appreciado ... and ye all
    need to tune in to the show tomorrow night.

can someone hook me up with a nice MP3 of Horace Andy "Skylarking?"
    play the Horace Andy into the DJ cut

One last try - anybody?

One last try - anybody?

I got you, but my Mp3 encoder is fuggin up, so Im gonna upload a .wav for you..gimmie a sec...but you gotta listen to my radio show tonight if you can (wevl.org 11PM to 1AM your time)

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

One last try - anybody?

Hey SOI

Don't know if you still need it; if so,
    here it is:

Skylarking

@ 200 kbps (vbr).

Peace

damn..im too slow!

Thanks to both of you!
    I knew you wouldn't let me down ...

Hook-up, I'll try to listen tonight -
    I'm about to put together my Expedit, but
    should have time to catch some of it ...

THANKS AGAIN!

• About the Crystal side

If it is the tune "The Loser" by DH (which i doubt it is) it isn't worth dick on that press as it looks like a 70s re-press. The big money presses of "The Loser" by DH are on the original 60s JA press which looks like this:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The other big money press of that tune is the original UK Island red & white 60s press (which is the one i have) or the UK Songbird (1960s press).

Also, here is another great site complete with label listings and sound samples and pics:

http://www.dancecrasher.co.uk/Labels.html

Shout out to Tim P & the Tighten Up crew !