Work chair strut (aeron R)

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I'm in the market for a new desk chair in the next couple of months, so I'm starting my search now. I know the Aeron is supposed to be great, but I would imagine that there are lesser known shibboleths of comfortable workers. Anyone to recommend anything?

Comments

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Beautiful and Comfortable, but PRICEY

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Beautiful and Comfortable, but PRICEY

and there is a 'low back' version of this chair as well. (there use to be at least).
    Anyway, I would STRONGLY reccomend sitting in one first before you buy.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    low-back is still coppable

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    these ones are money. (both figuratively and literally... "design within reach for people with too much disposable income" didn't have the same ring to it though). Don't know if you'd spend that much. I worked in an office for a bit that had one, and people were always stealing it when the person who it belonged to was on vacation.
    http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=1812

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    these ones are money. (both figuratively and literally... "design within reach for people with too much disposable income" didn't have the same ring to it though). Don't know if you'd spend that much. I worked in an office for a bit that had one, and people were always stealing it when the person who it belonged to was on vacation.
    http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=1812

I have one of these Aeron chairs in my office and it is pretty comfortable. I think you can pick one up on eBay for around $600-650 shipped.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Hey homie, you should cop this to go with that one pair of shoes. Styles upon styles!

• the aeron chair is a decent chair that gained a lot of popularity as a status symbol during the dot com boom. most of the time these chairs are abused in offices. do not buy a used one. i've sat in a lot of areon chairs with saggy fabric, loose arms and busted lumbar supports. i would also stay away from cheap knock-offs. they are cheap for a reason. usually because they cut corners with materials and craftsmanship.

a few different options from herman miller are:

mirra chair

celle chair

both of these chairs offer options (usually based on the color of the chair) which are certified cradle to cradle design. which means that the chairs are usually easily disassembled and broken parts can be recycled without impurities which cause material degradation. the broken parts can also be easily replaced.

a few options from steelcase are:

think chair

leap chair

both of these chairs also offer cradle to cradle options.

a few options from humanscale are:

freedom chair

liberty chair

the freedom chair is probably the most comfortable office chair i have sat in. environmentally it is not quite up there with the others listed, but it still does have a lot of recycled and recyclable content. i felt even the liberty chair (which seems like the little brother to the freedom chair) was more comfortable than the aeron chair.

whatever you do, i recommend that you sit in the chair before you buy it. many furniture stores will have a few of these options so you can test them side by side. if you live in a bigger city there is a good chance that the manufacturer has a show room or a representative office that would be willing to let you stop in and test out the chair.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    the aeron chair is a decent chair that gained a lot of popularity as a status symbol during the dot com boom. most of the time these chairs are abused in offices. do not buy a used one. i've sat in a lot of areon chairs with saggy fabric, loose arms and busted lumbar supports. i would also stay away from cheap knock-offs. they are cheap for a reason. usually because they cut corners with materials and craftsmanship.

a few different options from herman miller are:

mirra chair

celle chair

both of these chairs offer options (usually based on the color of the chair) which are certified cradle to cradle design. which means that the chairs are usually easily disassembled and broken parts can be recycled without impurities which cause material degradation. the broken parts can also be easily replaced.

a few options from steelcase are:

think chair

leap chair

both of these chairs also offer cradle to cradle options.

a few options from humanscale are:

freedom chair

liberty chair

the freedom chair is probably the most comfortable office chair i have sat in. environmentally it is not quite up there with the others listed, but it still does have a lot of recycled and recyclable content. i felt even the liberty chair (which seems like the little brother to the freedom chair) was more comfortable than the aeron chair.

whatever you do, i recommend that you sit in the chair before you buy it. many furniture stores will have a few of these options so you can test them side by side. if you live in a bigger city there is a good chance that the manufacturer has a show room or a representative office that would be willing to let you stop in and test out the chair.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Not having 7-800 bucks to drop on a chair, but wanting something a little better than the 69 dollar office depot high back. I got the 250 dollar version with the memory foam. its nice. Its big and cushy. We have all those aeron chairs at the studio, and i think they are ok. But they get fucked up pretty easy, and when that happens they are useless.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

I like Haworth's answer to the Aeron. I've had mine for 5 years and change, and its great. completely adjustable to your height, and weight. the elastic seat in the aeron doesnt have a very long life if you sit in it every day.