Anybody else fucking sick of 80s music????

Comments

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    send me all your shitty 80s pop 12s. i found 'walk like and egyptian' 12 w/acapella. now i'm the fucking king of white girls. yeah, the same ones who give me mean looks for playing Funk Inc. 45s.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The 80s sax solo is particularly weak. It's the hallmark of bad 80s pop.

YES!!! And apparently of bad modern hip hop, ever listened to that "I Can Feel It In The Air" (I dunno the proper title or artist who does) song? It was cheesy then, and it's cheesy now. Plaese don't give Kenny G music shine on hip hop tunes...

AND Jay Z sampling "You Belong To The City"

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Anybody else fucking sick of 80s fashion???? I mean seriously.... enough already.....

It cracks me up to see grown folks now rocking what we were wearing when we were 10 years old.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    "I Can Feel It In The Air" (I dunno the proper title or artist who does) song? It was cheesy then, and it's cheesy now. Plaese don't give Kenny G music shine on hip hop tunes...

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=crates&Number=270008&Forum=crates&Words=feel%20it%20in%20the%20air&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=269085&Search=true#Post270008

OUT OF STEP

I stand by it, although late/tardy with my critique. If a thread says "Beanie Siegel", I'm just not gonna read it because I didn't like dude's first album. If I don't like a guy on the intro LP, why would I like him later? Has anyone changed their minds about an artist from 1st to 2nd album?
    Peace
    T.N.

• Has anyone changed their minds about an artist from 1st to 2nd album?
    Peace
    T.N.

Say... thats an interesting question.... got me thinking now.... cant think of one really.....

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    When I lived in Salt Lake City around 1994, they had a commercial radio station that played 80s hits as part of their larger "modern rock" format. It was amusing and nostalgic at the time because the whole idea of 80s nostalgia was relatively new.

But ten years later, we have 80s nostalgia 24-7 courtesy VH1/Classic, commercial radio stations in every market, clubs and college radio playlists created by the hipsters in your town too young to remember it the first time, and lame mainstream events run by people my age (30-40) who didn't know shit about music then and still don't because not only had they never heard of Sonic Youth or the Pixies back in the day and made fun of people like me for listening to it, but they also stopped listening to ANY new music around 1994.

Or to cosign:

I mean it's not like we're talking about Pixies, Sonic Youth, Hip hop shit. We're talking about the shit that sucked then that is uber trendy now.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    they call that the sophmore slump no???

pretty common occurance that big hyped artists fall off on the second joint:

Shadow
    Peaches
    Daft Punk

etc etc

no,no,no. The original question was like this:
    you don't like the first album you hear, then they put out another album. has anyone changed their mind AFTER the first album and not liking it to enjoy the 2nd lp?
    Peace
    T.N.

oh the reversal of opinion!

err that's a tough one.

"I Can Feel It In The Air" (I dunno the proper title or artist who does) song? It was cheesy then, and it's cheesy now.

That song is dope and so is the video of his infared face. So is Abacab.

no,no,no. The original question was like this:
    you don't like the first album you hear, then they put out another album. has anyone changed their mind AFTER the first album and not liking it to enjoy the 2nd lp?
    Peace
    T.N.

easy

cmon, there were some choons on refutation!

owrd good call on digable.. the first one was unlistenable hippy crap to me at the time.. but i loved blowout right when it dropped and had to retract previous disses.

im gonna go out on a limb annd put the beasties o nthis list.

liscence to ill??? ugh no thanks

paul's boutique - YES PLEASE!

i got a few good 12s from that one, but overall the LP blows. BC is not soo great either, but still 100x better.

2 more:

Licensed to Ill

#

Paul's Boutique (yes)

Gish

#

Siamese Dream (yes)

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

in retrospect yeah...but at the time that shit dropped, man...those were some innovative beats.

on a limb annd put the beasties o nthis list.

Look's like we're out on it together (pause)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Gish
    #
    Siamese Dream (yes)

Smashing Pumpkins in total (NO)

• Gish
    #
    Siamese Dream (yes)

Smashing Pumpkins in total (NO)

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage!

Watch for my solo album, coming soon!!!

Gish
    #
    Siamese Dream (yes)

No sir, Siamese Dream was just Gish on muscle relaxers.

I have always preferred Gish to that syrupy Blind Melon-esque move towards emo-dorkness.

word

smashing pumpkins just went from merely crappy to shitty from 1 to 2.

My Bloody Valentine - ST (ugh this record she is bad)
    My Bloody Valentine - Isnt Anything (better than loveless if you ask me)

Gish

#

Siamese Dream (yes)

No sir, Siamese Dream was just Gish on muscle relaxers.

I have always preferred Gish to that syrupy Blind Melon-esque move towards emo-dorkness.

OK, Gish is alright. I would not rank it up there with great Butch Vig productions like Dirty, Nevermind, Betty, 8-way Santa or Siamese Dream.

WTF are you talking about Blind Melon? Not even close.

• recordsrecords 16 Posts
    send me all your shitty 80s pop 12s. i found 'walk like and egyptian' 12 w/acapella. now i'm the fucking king of white girls. yeah, the same ones who give me mean looks for playing Funk Inc. 45s.

confusion = sex

OK, Gish is alright. I would not rank it up there with great Butch Vig productions like Dirty, Nevermind, Betty, 8-way Santa or Siamese Dream.

WTF are you talking about Blind Melon? Not even close.

8-Way Santa: Hell yes...even though I prefer Jack Endino over Butch Vig any day of the week.

And with the Pumpkins...they had some of that sappy shit on Gish, but Simaese Dream was almost entirely a sap-fest. It's a great album in its own right...but stylistically I preferred to hear the Pumpkins let loose on the grunge tip a bit more often.

sayin though. Endino's a whole nother shit. God's Balls!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    And with the Pumpkins...they had some of that sappy shit on Gish, but Simaese Dream was almost entirely a sap-fest. It's a great album in its own right...but stylistically I preferred to hear the Pumpkins let loose on the grunge tip a bit more often.

"Cherub Rock" is my shit

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    there are a few different styles from the 80s that i love.

as a proud asian dude, i gotta say i do love 80s music. and by this i mean that gay shit from the 80s like the pet shop boys, erasure, new order, smiths. i am afforded the liberty to skirt the lines of heterosexuality. why? because i say so. also because my people done invented the "metrosexual" look. now, mind you, that does not mean i sculpt my eyebrows and wear bolo ties and shit. oh hell no. i am not a fan of the 80s fashion. i am much to forward thinking in my couture.

new edition and all that 80s r&b shit. now, this is my SJ shit. still very asian when i think about it. i mean, if it werent for my japanese friends in fresno, id still be rockin the joe dolce and buckner & garcia jernts. but the SJs done saved a young shig from himself. and YES that means i crossed over into the world of RAP which at the time was not nearly as accessible as it is today. i remember the first time i heard that NWA record with like 80 dudes on the cover in some alley drinking gigantic bottles of beer and they were cussing and shit and i got all scared and told my sister.

other than that i spent my time falling out of trees and riding my dirt bike. you know, generally being a kid instead. that's the 80s for me.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i just pleasured myself.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I ain't sick of it... I am sick of 90% of the shit that gets clumped under the 'modern soul' moniker though. but at the same time it's a good thing if you yaoming.

But some of the good 'new wave'

experimental modern garage?? & hip-hop is blazin holmes... er, I mean sucks...yeah, fuck that shit.