Stooges Appreciation

indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

big time

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    This rocks, but sounds like schitt on CD. I heard that it has been remixed again for the third time. The music is fire, the sound just terrible.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Huge time.

I remember back in the early 80s my mom telling me "I'm going to see an Iggy Pop show tonight" and I thought that sounded like the coolest thing in the world. I was right.

Coincidentally, when I left for the bank this afternoon, I loaded this album up into my iPod:

Classic material there, and it contains what I often consider to be my theme song - "Success!"

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Huge time.

Classic material there, and it contains what I often consider to be my theme song - "Success!"

this is when bowie was killin it!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Huge time.

this is when bowie was killin it!

yeah, this and "the idiot" are def were its at.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    so crucial

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    as far as solo iggy, I gotta ride for

as far as solo iggy, I gotta ride for

"Don't Look Down" is the sexiest song ever

next to "Dirt"

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    This rocks, but sounds like schitt on CD. I heard that it has been remixed again for the third time. The music is fire, the sound just terrible.

The sound was just terrible the first time.

I don't care what anybody sez, the original Raw Power vinyl sounded godawful, even by punk-as-fuck lo-fi standards. That '90s CD remix is exactly what it needed.

Never heard this THIRD remix mentioned up top, there.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I don't care what anybody sez, the original Raw Power vinyl sounded godawful, even by punk-as-fuck lo-fi standards. That '90s CD remix is exactly what it needed.

The version on CD from 97' I have says "Remixed By Iggy Pop", now I'm hearing from some Stooge head that its getting remastered/remixed again.

I returned the first copy thinking I had a bunk copy. Nope, Sony sent me another of same shitty quality. So many good songs to degrade the album itself.

I noticed another issue of the CD itself in 2001. Probably the same sound.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Anybody gotta mp3 of "Football" please?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

The version on CD from 97' I have says "Remixed By Iggy Pop", now I'm hearing from some Stooge head that its getting remastered/remixed again.

I returned the first copy thinking I had a bunk copy. Nope, Sony sent me another of same shitty quality. So many good songs to degrade the album itself.

This might be the one to scoop up:

"On 'Rough Power', Greg Shaw assembled many of the varying 'Raw Power' alternate mixes done by Iggy that have been in circulation, including this infamous radio broadcast, now available on a beautiful 180 gram high definition vinyl for the first time. The original 'Rough Power' artwork has been preserved, but the back cover features previously unpublished photos of the STOOGES taken in Detroit by Creem's editor and photographer Robert Matheu. 180 gram."

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

This might be the one to scoop up:

"On 'Rough Power', Greg Shaw assembled many of the varying 'Raw Power' alternate mixes done by Iggy that have been in circulation, including this infamous radio broadcast, now available on a beautiful 180 gram high definition vinyl for the first time. The original 'Rough Power' artwork has been preserved, but the back cover features previously unpublished photos of the STOOGES taken in Detroit by Creem's editor and photographer Robert Matheu. 180 gram."

if you dont mind tape hiss, then that is the one...I had the CD many moons ago and it was bootleg quality...you could tell it was made from cassette dubs...not worth whatever they want for it.

I like the Iggy remixed one..everything is in the red, its loud, but after years and years of listening to the OG, I prefer the OG...its a weird mix for sure...but now I like the way the lead guitar jumps out for no fucking reason... I like its bad sound quality...sounds like the drug compromised minds that made it.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    "i wanna be your dog"

this is pretty good too

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

this is pretty good too

Love this one to death, soundtrack for many evenings at home, getting warmed up for a night out. Cover picture is the definition of cool.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I just want to say thanks to whomever brought up The Stooge's song "Ann" this week. I've been having so much fun playing it. I might just cover it with my new psych project. Gotta give love to Iggs the stoogies the first song I learn to play on guitar was Search and Destroy.

I am the worlds forgotten boy..

- spidey

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Someone told me once that the o.g. masters for Raw Power had been either lost or irreparably damaged, and that the 97 "remix" (which is ill as shit) is in fact a re-EQing job. Maybe the tapes turned up, or the technology now exists to make a proper remix possible? Whatever they did to it in 1997, I know they made it sound like I always wanted it to sound.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Whatever they did to it in 1997, I know they made it sound like I always wanted it to sound.

In the words of the Impressions, Otis Redding and the Rotary Connection....AMEN.