Portable rotary.

RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
http://www.electronique-spectacle.com/djr400.htmhas anybody ever fuckt with this ? the sound seems like it would be amazing...i know it doesnt have a fader but...

Comments

• What's the advantage of a rotary mixer as opposed to a standard fader?

Never used one but some people seem to bug out when you mention it.

Anyone?

Anyone?

well..rotary mixers are geared toward dance music.no real advantage... i dont play hip hop much, so for me i really dont need a fader to slam shit, and im not a dj that thinks im in my bedroom when i play in a club so..rarely do i scratch live. the thing that seems to be getting my attention on this is the quality of sound/ eqs and the built in x over. plus its tiny. sonically, this mixer seems to be the jumpoff.

Anyone?

well..rotary mixers are geared toward dance music.no real advantage... i dont play hip hop much, so for me i really dont need a fader to slam shit, and im not a dj that thinks im in my bedroom when i play in a club so..rarely do i scratch live. the thing that seems to be getting my attention on this is the quality of sound/ eqs and the built in x over. plus its tiny. sonically, this mixer seems to be the jumpoff.

I figured as much. It seems like they would be perfect if your the type that pulls off really long mixes.

Word, thanks.

• Yeah this would be great to buy for the crib because space is at a premium, sound quality is essential, and one could bring it out pretty easily. What's the price?

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    this thing is: 11" x 8.25"
    the Rane TTM-56: 13" x 9"

what is the big deal again?

• Depending on the price, better sound? I don't know. I prefer rotary faders.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Depending on the price, better sound? I don't know. I prefer rotary faders.

totally. I just dont think they should market it based on it size.
    What I would really like to see is a mixer that is able to manipulate in mono. I have a number of poorly mixed 45s that could use the mono treatment when playing them live.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i have no personal experience with rotary mixers but aren't most of them way longer than that one so it is indeed considered a "portable" mixer?

• this thing is: 11" x 8.25"

why would you compare this to a rane ? a "scratch mixer".
    have you ever played on a urei ? quite a large mixer...not at all portable.
    does a rane offer built in x over ? thats quite a big deal...warm analogue sound.
    i have no idea about cost.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    this thing is: 11" x 8.25"

why would you compare this to a rane ? a "scratch mixer".
    have you ever played on a urei ? quite a large mixer...not at all portable.
    does a rane offer built in x over ? thats quite a big deal...warm analogue sound.
    i have no idea about cost.

just curious, whats a crossover? and why is this better for dance music? Does it have all those trance music filters and shit?

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Anyone ever used the Rane Empath rotary version?

I am really interested in rotary mixers lately.

Are they really all that? Or is it just the Bozaks, UREIs and Rotaries of disco past worth anything.

I wonder how much that portable rotary above costs? All custom built by an audio engineer, wicked.

Just saw a set of the Martinez Brothers using that mixer, sounded wicked!

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    I own the rane empath rotary. I have to see that I am very satisfied with the mixer. The feel and the sound are both top notch. I play a mixed bag of music (purely vinyl dj) from deep house/latin house, afrobeat, 2-step, reggae. I began spinning house way way back so I guess its a personal preference. I have had most of the big name rotary mixers, Urei 1620, Rane 2016, even the Vestax model. Personally I love the Urei. But I really cant get down with 19 inch mixers anymore as well as replacing phono cards. I inquired about the portable rotary and I think they quoted me at close to 1600 US. The empath is along the lines of the rane 2016 sound and feel wise. I love it. The sound fits my needs. Now if I can only spring for better monitors I might have a more indepth review of the sound quality.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    THAR ARE NO UPFADERS!!!! HOW ON EARTH ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO KRAZY RAER DOUBLE KNUCKLE CRAB WALKING TRIPLE FLARE SKRATCH TRICKS?!?!?!

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    I've heard some good things about that DJR 400, but I don't know why they didn't include a mid eq for each channel. The eqs look a bit cramped too. So those knobs on the top are master eqs, right? That feature is awesome.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I don't think it is an EQ, but a crossover or isolator.

They can strip the frequencies out with serious precision, sounds almost like an effects unit but straight EQ magic, check out the martinez brothers rocking the portable rotary:

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

Gotcha, but in layman's terms, that's basically a really powerful master eq, right?

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

Gotcha, but in layman's terms, that's basically a really powerful master eq, right?

Yes, that is what it effectively does to the music.

Oh and anyone that can't scratch on a rotary is soft batch!

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts

They can strip the frequencies out with serious precision, sounds almost like an effects unit but straight EQ magic, check out the martinez brothers rocking the portable rotary:

These dudes bring the heat. Skills on the production side as well. Love the their sound. Missed the party at PS1 last year.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    http://www.electronique-spectacle.com/djr400.htm

has anybody ever fuckt with this ? the sound seems like it would be amazing...i know it doesnt have a fader but...

I opened for Danny Krivit once and he brought this mixer to use. It's great and I totally endorse it. I plan on buying one myself but it is pricey as I'm sure you know. Over $2K. Mr. K murdered it Frickin' with those eq's plus he was dropping his own custom edits that no one has as he hasn't released them. Banana's. If you check on you tube there is a video of Louie Vega freaking the eq's at a party in Miami that is pretty sick. Not sure which mixer he was on though. The Urei, Rane Rotary (Urei knock off) and Bozack are all awesome but rather large in size. This custom made portable rotary is boss.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah I'm putting my order in.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    If you check on you tube there is a video of Louie Vega freaking the eq's at a party in Miami that is pretty sick. Not sure which mixer he was on though.

This one?

That looks like a Xone:V6 running alongside the new bozak isolator i think?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The folks at Bozak wanted to install the isolator at The Rub a few months ago. I want them to get busy with my jawn in Miami.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    i find that Dj's spinning House get too carried away with playing with the EQ's some times. Obviously it's extremely necessary for mixes and for certain breakdowns in songs , but I find that sometimes they take it waayyyyyy too far. I've seen some pretty well known House Dj's just completely kill the vibe when messing with that too much and it's not a good look at all.
    But, yeah I would definitely like to have one of these, in fact I'm thinking about replacing my current mixer with something closer to that.