Accidentally buying clean CDs unappreciation

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
D**n you, Amazon!"____ you, pay me!"

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Yea, I think Amazon is pretty bad about their labeling. Did you read the reviews section? A lot of times another buyer will post that such and such info is wrong or not labeld right.

Years ago on the diary of Chris Rock on MTV he goes to some major music chain buys some CD's drives off and a few lines into the first CD he realizes it's the clean version. He wips around and goes back to the store and bitches them about about "who the hell wants a rap CD with out cuss words!?!?!?!?!"

For those that don't know sometime they put an "E" in the SKU or barcode number which indicates edited. This isn't always the case but it can help.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This infuriates me.

Clean rap CDs should not even exist. If you can't handle a little profanity, then you shouldn't be listening to rap.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Clean rap CDs should not even exist. If you can't handle a little profanity, then you shouldn't be having a wedding.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    What's worse is accidentally buying a chopped and screwed version. Ugh!

Clean rap CDs should not even exist. If you can't handle a little profanity, then you shouldn't be having a wedding.

If rap music in its unadulterated form makes you or your guests uncomfortable, then you don't need to be playing it at your wedding.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

[archaic]if listening to rap music in this annoying fashion offends the delicate sensibilities of your guests than you shouldn't even be getting married.[/archaic]

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I remember buying N.W.A. "Straight Outta Compton" on CD at a pawn shop in the late 90's, and thinkin' why would someone pawn this? Because of no "Fuck The Police" on this fuckin' censored version Dumbass me. It was repawned a month later. No way could you listen to that CD without the explicit lyrics.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    That sucks Ross. Screw the Parental Advisory label, it's the clean versions that should have the warning label.

All I can say in defense of clean versions is that some of us occasionally play stuff on the radio and thanks to the FCC I can't play all the naughty words that give my favorite tunes their spicy flavor. That said, I probably wouldn't (intentionally) buy an all clean album, I prefer to have both the Clean and Street edits on the 12".

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    my homie bought thug motivation 101 clean accidently and he mufuckahz at tower records wouldn't let him exchange it. shit was hilarious.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This reminds me of when I bought my little sister a VHS cassette of "Titanic" for her birthday - with Spanish subtitles

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    At parties sometimes i get caught reciting the clean lyrics, it's kind of embarrassing.
    ehh i dunno i definitely couldn't afford many tapes at all so basically i had to tape shit off the radio, i always had the clean lyrics...you have a legit excuse

'sweet potato pie' is way different in unedited form

realheadz

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    At parties sometimes i get caught reciting the clean lyrics, it's kind of embarrassing.
    ehh i dunno i definitely couldn't afford many tapes at all so basically i had to tape shit off the radio, i always had the clean lyrics

'sweet potato pie' is way different in unedited form

realheadz

I ALWAYS play the radio edit of "Punks Jump Up To Get Beat Down."

• I've been burned. Been like thinking 'this here Jay Z cd is $11, while this other one is marked at $7, what idiot would buy the $11 one?'

What's embarrasing to me is going back to the store and saying "Oops, I made a mistake, I want the dirty version, Mr. Shopkeeper."

Also, I mostly listen to most pop / top 40 / hip hop on the radio, and therefore grow fond of the clean edit. Then, when I hear the original, I'm like, 'what the fuck is this shit?'

I guess there are others who are guilty of liking the clean versions better...

• I ALWAYS play the radio edit of "Punks Jump Up To Get Beat Down."

So do I (or so I did; haven't played any Brand Nubian in a minute), but that is another topic altogether.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

So do I (or so I did; haven't played any Brand Nubian in a minute), but that is another topic altogether.

SEE ALSO:

Geto Boys: "Mind Playing Tricks On Me" (clean)
    Wu Tang Clan: Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) (clean)

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

OL' DIRTY BASTARD - "Got Your Money" (edit) : buries the "N" word on it, which is one positive clean version to play out

• I wanna love you > I wanna fuck you

earlier today I actually had the painfully tedious job of transforming my finished mixtape (music recorded by youth at my rec center gig) into a clean version. so sad. 3 tracks had to be cut altogether and one song has enough chunks in reverse as to make it psychedelic.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Geto Boys: "Mind Playing Tricks On Me" (clean) > Geto Boys: "Mind Playing Tricks On Me" (dirty)

• debardebar 215 Posts
    On a somewhat related note:

Is there an unedited version of "Ain't That A Bitch" by UGK around?

Also, why in the hell is "Stay Fly" edited on the explicit version of 3-6's CD? This is the new version that came out a year later where they added "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" and I guess they decided to switch out the dirty version of "Stay Fly" for the hell of it?!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

SEE ALSO:

Geto Boys: "Mind Playing Tricks On Me" (clean)
    Wu Tang Clan: Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) (clean)
    Ice Cube: "Dead Homiez" (clean)

I wanna love you > I wanna fuck you

BOTH AWFUL

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Also, I mostly listen to most pop / top 40 / hip hop on the radio, and therefore grow fond of the clean edit. Then, when I hear the original, I'm like, 'what the fuck is this shit?'

I've been kinda shocked in recent years upon hearing the for-real version after becoming quite familiar with the radio edits... "Some Cut" and "In Da Club" come to mind as album versions that were almost overwhelming at first...

• sergserg 682 Posts

I've made this mistake a few times. Once with Weebie and Boosie's Gangsta Music but their voices are so high that it sounds normal, well until one of the features shows up then I realize it's s&c'ed. Also did it with a few of those rap-a-lot reissues that amazon didn't label correctly.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I remember buying N.W.A. "Straight Outta Compton" on CD at a pawn shop in the late 90's, and thinkin' why would someone pawn this? Because of no "Fuck The Police" on this fuckin' censored version Dumbass me. It was repawned a month later. No way could you listen to that CD without the explicit lyrics.

Actually, I always held onto the clean copy I have of that album,
    because I really get a kick out of it. The fact that they recorded
    entirely different vocal tracks, instead of bleeping out the curses,
    makes for some very entertaining contrasts. Sometimes, as is the case
    with the Geto Boys pretty often as well, the clean lyrics will be more
    clever than just leaning on the old F bomb in every line.

Cause I'm the type of brother that's built to last -
    we had some in the present, some in the past ...
    by I don't give a damn, cause I keep bailin' -
    yo - tell them what they yellin'

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    guilty. one of the first cd buying mistakes i made as a young buck was getting 36 chambers from wal mart

SHAME ON A NUH THAT TRY TO RUN GAME ON A NUH

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    This infuriates me.

Clean rap CDs should not even exist. If you can't handle a little profanity, then you shouldn't be listening to rap.

YES.

Back when BMG and Columbia House were the thing, I remember getting a clean vesion of "Enter the Wu." I was severely peeved after anxiously waiting for its arrival. At least they put in sword-slashes and what-not over the expletives.

just saw rocco's post above. funny.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

was that directed at me, mark?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

SHAME ON A NUH THAT TRY TO RUN GAME ON A NUH

hahahaha

before i knew how to undo and use the tascam, i'd make mixes live and realized i put on the clean edit when i meant to use the original halfway through the tape. that was no fun.