so who likes IDM?

2»

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    there really should be a distinction made between the original artificial intelligence era idm, which was basically a more melodic twist on electro and acid, and the late period strains of the genre which is more spastic skipping cd drum n bass show off programming shit. they're basically just bound by shared lineage.

don't get me wrong, squarepusher and aphex especially recorded some great music in the jittery drill n bass vein, but most of what's followed (venetian snares, shitmat) been completely derivative and unlistenable.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    damn, one person can make drums that sound like that..?!..'

To me it just sounds like a CD skipping. I am kinda a feeling the last Boards of Canada track that Brian posted but for the most part listening to this stuff makes me feel like I'm an extra in a David Lynch Cop-off film. Creativity aside, there is very little content and basically zero peaks and valleys. I guess I need to hear more of the ambient whale song shit cause I can sometimes get with that. Call me crazy, but I need something to follow or hold on to..... like rhythm and melody.

Did you listen to Port Rhombus? To me, that track does both calm melody and crazy rhythm, at once.

Squarepusher live was the loudest show i've ever been to. Intense an I didn't hate it. He definitely likes pushing people, though.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Yeah "IDM" is the worst, most pretentious genre title of all-time blah blah blah, that being said this remains one of my favorite albums...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I was about 17-18 when I played this record to death, it really opened my mind to different styles of music apart from hip-hop based music. This album still takes me to a whole different place.

...and this video is so BOSS

I've also been a fan of Luke Vibert for years, even that electro disco project he did was decent.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I've only heard the term used relativly recently. Long after hearing the music of, say Autechre or Aphex.
    And many of the older producers, that get labeled with the tag, are real music historians, who will undoubtably have great respect for what came before them, and their contemporaries of non IDM.

This is a really good point. Autechre, Aphex, etc. all worship at the alter of "dumb" dance music. It's unfortunate that the genre gets written off as pretentious as a product of the fan's pretenses, not the artists. At least, not the core artists.

BTW, American IDM - worthless? I am having a hard time of any thinking of any artists on this side of the pond worth listening to. Maybe Hrvatski or Matmos but both of them began consciously distancing themselves from the aesthetic early in their career. Does Timbaland count?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    don't get me wrong, squarepusher and aphex especially recorded some great music in the jittery drill n bass vein, but most of what's followed (venetian snares, shitmat) been completely derivative and unlistenable.

i agree, but i think the fact that squarepusher/aphex and the like were making music through the 00's and appearing on comps (albeit probably not their choice) with a lot of the sub-par groups just added to the confusion of this whole little sub genre.

in my dealings with folks who ride for this type of music, there is little confusion between the shitty copy cat artist and those who are pretty legit.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

BTW, American IDM - worthless? I am having a hard time of any thinking of any artists on this side of the pond worth listening to. Maybe Hrvatski or Matmos but both of them began consciously distancing themselves from the aesthetic early in their career. Does Timbaland count?

There's this one release on Tigerbeat606 by a 16 year old prodigy that I'm feeling crazay...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

There's this one release on Tigerbeat606 by a 16 year old prodigy that I'm feeling crazay...

I knew you were just waiting for my appearance in this thread. I'll have you know that quite a few of the contributers to said release were so international.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I knew you were just waiting for my appearance in this thread. I'll have you know that quite a few of the contributers to said release were so international.

Wait til I post my mashup of premilellenial Jonny Paycheck rapps over Nozbeatz from the same era...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Wait til I post my mashup of premilellenial Jonny Paycheck rapps over Nozbeatz from the same era...

Konceptual Nozinance? We're already signed to anticon.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    BTW, American IDM - worthless? I am having a hard time of any thinking of any artists on this side of the pond worth listening to.

not to be too much of a fanboy, but per the album i referenced above, check telefon tel aviv.

they are from the NOLA (harvey cred?). actually, noz i had heard that they had some connection with NOLA rap at some point in time, but i can't find any details confirming that.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

I thought Telefon Tel Aviv was a Scott Heren/Prefuse 73 alias?

• AbendAbend 5 Posts
    yeah who coined the term originally?

Isn't it from one of the old hyperreal mailing lists?

I thought it was from a warp records mailing list thing.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

...and this video is so BOSS

Man, I was JUST about to post this.

Even though they??ve been asking since it was put on youtube (and probably since it was made in the first place), WHAT IS THE MUSIC ON THE TAPE? Is it just a little remix he did for the video? I trust the Strut.

- J

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

I thought Telefon Tel Aviv was a Scott Heren/Prefuse 73 alias?

you're probably thinking of savath & savalas.

• I fucking hate the term IDM. seriously what sort of wanker came up with it?

I'm always tryin to add some of this shit to my collection....lovin the Tuss/Aphex shit at the moment.
    Just picked up Ceephax Vol.2, there's a track called Ice-Rink Acid that kicks ass.

Can anybody tell me some more producers doin acid/mid-tempo/808/303/hand claps & cowbells shit these days.....my searches always seem to lead back to the same old names.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    post "ice rink acid " or yer soft serve ice cream

there is a bloke named Chris Moss Acid and all he does is "new" ish acid tracks
    catch hime here

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=36929032

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

Here's Ice Rink Acid. If you like this one Kala, I would definitely check out Ceephax (I prefer vol. 1 a bit more).

Hey.

Does anybody have that DMX Krew remix of Cylob's "Rewind"?
    I would kill for that.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    i cant front, i could never get passed the name "intellegent dance music". that alone was the biggest turn off to a genre of music.

theres a couple local labels here that put out this music, but again, i could never get to the point of actually giving the music a try.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

Here's Ice Rink Acid. If you like this one Kala, I would definitely check out Ceephax (I prefer vol. 1 a bit more).

Hey.

Does anybody have that DMX Krew remix of Cylob's "Rewind"?
    I would kill for that.

I had the braindance/rephlex comp this came from
    rewind is quite an ill tune
    I beat the crap out of that cd and it skips a lot
    let me see if I can find it and if it is playable I will post it
    thanks for ice rink acid
    its a nice choon
    andy is pretty cool and prehaps is now putting out tracks that rivel his big bro whoose last lp was a big dissapointment to me

edit
    here is the you tuber
    ass kickin to say the least
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yrA-BpWECI

is vol#1 more melodic?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i found the dmx rewind remix on a blog

http://www.durftal.com/music/cylob/CYLOB_REWIND_LIVE98.MP3

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    NICE ONE!!!

Yeah, vol. 1 is more melodic and more along the lines of his exidy tours and acid crew albums. I prefer his melodic stuff as that seems to really be his strong suit.

Last couple squarepusher's were poo poo to me, w/ the exception of that Steinbolt track.

Non-ironic