so who likes IDM?

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Talking bout Aphex,Squarepusher,Boards of Canada,UziqShitmat,Luke Vibert,etc etcas for collectros i am sure most of you know the kinda cake old rephlex/aphex joints fetchcertainly 1990s rareroh and by the way here is the new aphex ep[alias-The Truss-Cornish slang for erection]"rushup edge"not so badwish it was a trifel more melodichttp://www.divshare.com/download/1669167-e8f

Comments

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I dig it, I probably lean more toward the minimal/micro stuff rather than breakage assaults but I like it. Hell, I even make it. Akuffen is my shit.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Musically, I'm loathe to diss something that I don't have much experience with as a listener (since IDM seems to me to be a three-word oxymoron) but I've seen some of this shit performed "live" and it has to be one of the lamer concerts I've ever been to.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    venetian snares-The Unthinkable Remix (Boom Bip/Buck 65)

I actually don't know enough about idm so much, but this sound great with some dubstep...yep, that just happened. I actually don't mind this too much. I like to stay open minded unlike some of ya fools

it can be a bit way and

but it seems more for those who seem to like metal and schitt imo.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    IDM IS DEAD.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    for one, i fucking absolutely loathe the name "idm." there is a lot of complete garbage within the genre but there are some absolutely beautiful tracks out there. i generally dig more of the melodic stuff and can sometimes stomach some of the noisy tracks. i really haven't kept up with any of this stuff over the years but i will buy any new boards of canada or squarepusher album without hearing anything beforehand even though squarepusher has dropped a lot of terds recently.

i will post some of my favorites in a bit!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Luke Vibert

Gwithian

Def. overplayed this track last summer. Fucking beautiful.

i don't think of Vibert as IDM at all, tho.

edit: very very quiet intro.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I like it. I am slightly regarding IDM in recent years and I think it's somehow dead these days, but the older joints from Warp and others are really enjoyable.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    for one, i fucking absolutely loathe the name "idm."

Seriously the fact that it has the word "INTELLIGENT" attached to it is just terrible. Gimme some stupid dance music.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Squarepusher - Iambic 5 Poetry

Squarepusher - My Red Hot Car

Squarepusher - Port Rhombus

Aphex Twin - On

Aphex Twin - 4

Aphex Twin - Blue Calx

Boards of Canada - Amo Bishop Roden

Boards of Canada - Turquoise Hexagon Sun

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

I actually don't know enough about idm so much, but this sound great with some dubstep...yep, that just happened. I actually don't mind this too much. I like to stay open minded unlike some of ya fools

it can be a bit way and

but it seems more for those who seem to like metal and schitt imo.

that Venetian Snares "Black Sabbath" remix thing is one of my favorite records i bought this year...

it's weird, dubstep people tend to hate him, i think cause he is not a purist... he's cool w/ me... that Hungarian concept record he did was alright,,,

i am down w/ a lotta breakcore/IDM people, but i don't really dig it much myself... it's too Prog Rock for me...

as someone said, it's kinda dead as a genre... morphed into breakcore, which is kinda dead, too...

some good artists work on the edge of that stuff tho... venetian snares, aaron spectre( bad brains "pay to cum" remix was madness), the bug (doing dubstep these days... saw him live w/ flo dan from Roll Deep...), shitmat, drop the lime (making 4/4 club music these days)... all very fucking solid...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Never used the phrase - this side of the pond we would sub-divide the electronic genre into specific microgenres, like jazz influenced speed garage = spazz. Scouse house, is, apparently, house music popular in Liverpool. I can't see any reason for this subgenre existing other than it rhymes and sounds kind of funny. Clownstep describes two-step DnB that incorporates whoopie-cushions in place of bass-lines.

I take IDM to mean the more thoughtful end of the programmed electronic music spectrum, as opposed to simple, brash party tunes? Aphex Twin vs Ed Banger records?

Yes, I like stuff that I would listen to at home rather than spin in the club.

• Some of that shit that just bangs you over the head, like what some people were calling "drill and bass"... I used to hate it, but now I kinda like it. Especially if you're pissed off that shit is perfect to go "ARRRGGGG" too.

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    yeah who coined the term originally? its senseless. and obviously its going to struggle as "concert" or performance music.

has always been technically impressive, though i really cant get with much of glitched out programming. this is why i shied away from autechre for so long. they did a 30 hour++ facemelt podcast around the new year though which made me take another look. mostly early house & electro. i've found some of their early shit is really strong though. especially into their tune called BIKE.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    beyond the obvious hate for the "genre name", i can say that i went a couple years being really into this shit.

Squarepusher's "Tundra" single-handidly got me into an array of music and making my own tracks. I was a 17yr old boy , generally just listening to Sonic Youth and old rap tapes, when it came on the community radio late one night....and i thought...'damn, one person can make drums that sound like that..?!..' Never forget that night.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

Squarepusher's "Tundra" single-handidly got me into an array of music and making my own tracks.

tundra and beep street are my favorite squarepusher tracks.

but i saw squarepusher live years ago and that was painful. he basically was antagonizing the crowd and playing the abrasive stuff at crazy high decibels and drove everyone out. i swore never to see that stuff live after since most just play the laptop and the music is not conducive to dancing, despite the weak IDM tag.

i like autechre, plaid, and aphex twin and still play that stuff semi-regularly. warp records is alright, they used to put up great mixes on that site too. not warp mixes, themed stuff like soundtracks & space blah blah. they had some good "out there" jazz mixes as well.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

oh shit! i forgot about this one. jenkinson is an outstanding bass player. and i was not mad at the squarepusher & autechre remixes of tried by 12 either

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

Squarepusher's "Tundra"

such a great classic tune/melody/arrangement/programming

it must have been cool to be in the UK in 90s
    to ear that stuff rattled out from a good system in a field or a warehouse loaded on real pure dutch E
    frozen cold teens shivering on E up against the walls of the rave venues tripping balls/clits on acid watching the light show and all of the freaks dancing and raving their asses off
    i caught some of it in NYC
    i saw aphex in 92 and lots of other stuff afterwards
    it was fresh then -DB's "DEEP" and the famous NASA parties were the shit
    orbital and moby when he was still had hair and was a straight up techno dude
    before it got big and manstream/corp rot tized

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

oh shit! i forgot about this one. jenkinson is an outstanding bass player. and i was not mad at the squarepusher & autechre remixes of tried by 12 either

can some one plaese to post the tried by 12 squarepusher remix?

oh yeah and BEEP Street was my theme for years un fuck with able

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    yeah who coined the term originally?

Isn't it from one of the old hyperreal mailing lists?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    some of it is quite good, but it suffers from a horrible handle.

Squarepusher - Port Rhombus

fantastic on 33.

I like Autechre, too.
    The darker minimal/driving stuff is my favorite though...Pole, (early) Kit Clayton (he has a really beautiful song on an orange vinyl comp that plays backwards...clown graphic on the label...can't remember the name right now) and Chain Reaction type stuff.
    Not fully immersed, just heard things here and there that I liked.

I've seen some of this shit performed "live" and it has to be one of the lamer concerts I've ever been to.

lol - what? Not moved by some nerd keystroking and twiddling knobs??

Me and my friend lost our shit at one of these shows and could not stop laughing after she leaned over and said "I think that's his f*ck face" at some dude straining behind his Mac.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I don't know how people can listen to this. For real.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    damn, one person can make drums that sound like that..?!..'

To me it just sounds like a CD skipping. I am kinda a feeling the last Boards of Canada track that Brian posted but for the most part listening to this stuff makes me feel like I'm an extra in a David Lynch Cop-off film. Creativity aside, there is very little content and basically zero peaks and valleys. I guess I need to hear more of the ambient whale song shit cause I can sometimes get with that. Call me crazy, but I need something to follow or hold on to..... like rhythm and melody.

• thank you.
    im truly geeked.

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I absolutely love this album!

and Richard D. James has been on some shit at times.

• Talking bout
    Aphex,Squarepusher,Boards of Canada,Uziq
    Shitmat,Luke Vibert,etc etc

as for collectros i am sure most of you know the kinda cake old rephlex/aphex joints fetch
    certainly 1990s rarer

oh and by the way here is the new aphex ep[alias-The Truss-Cornish slang for erection]"rushup edge"
    not so bad
    wish it was a trifel more melodic

http://www.divshare.com/download/1669167-e8f

The Tuss.

shit's heat. UK 89-98 IDM is my favorite period...it's tended to branch off into dub-step, glitch-hop, whatever. but the early u-ziq, afx, squarepusher, autechre is smoov.

• I dig the mellow shit.

BoC (the Kings)
    Christ
    Freescha
    Ulrich Schnauss
    Tycho
    Bola
    AmBoy

Did Project Northwoods ever put anything out? They had a website w/ some cool shit on it a few years ago.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    for one, i fucking absolutely loathe the name "idm."

Seriously the fact that it has the word "INTELLIGENT" attached to it is just terrible. Gimme some stupid dance music.

Unfortuantely it's what happens when middle class whiteboys get board of guitars and jump ship. Same thing happened with DnB.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    yeah who coined the term originally?

i've always been told (and the wiki link below also says) that the name was derived from this album/series.

V/A - Warp Records - Artificial Intelligence

released in 1992.

wiki link

and i am pretty sure that IDM was never totally embraced as the preferred term by many of the artists who were making this type of music. see commentary in link

btw, one of the best groups ever to do that glitchy shit in my opinion was telefon tel aviv

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    and i am pretty sure that IDM was never totally embraced as the preferred term by many of the artists who were making this type of music.

I've only heard the term used relativly recently. Long after hearing the music of, say Autechre or Aphex.
    And many of the older producers, that get labeled with the tag, are real music historians, who will undoubtably have great respect for what came before them, and their contemporaries of non IDM.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

I don't know how people can listen to this. For real.

This music makes me feel like i do everytime i try to quit smoking. yikes.