Opening A Bar/Venue

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
such a venture would require alot of money to be taken out in loan form...this i know...but does anyone have an experience in this field...or know of a close friend who ventured into this territory...i am just looking into things on a very very "from a distance maybe one day in the future" perspectivenot a full out concert hall...but something such as a bar/lounge where you can fit a significant amount of peopleany legality issues besides a liquor license?just some random thought or comments if anyone has them...id appreciate it

Comments

• Liquor License = to get

I believe you have to have been in business several years to obtain one so buying another establishment is a good idea

Some zones have strange laws about alcohol, so bone up on those

No bank will give you the money, so just get that idea out of your head now and you'll be better for it.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

No bank will give you the money,

Without collateral... ie. House.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Don't do it

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The #1 most important thing about opening a bar....

More important than the decor, the location, the music, the liquor, etc., etc.

Is finding employees that can be trusted.

yeh thats any business though...

• The #1 most important thing about opening a bar....

haha! u must be a expert at this shit!!!

• No bank will give you the money,

Would you put a house up against a bar?

Well, a bar... that's a pretty good bet... I wouldn't for a "lounge" or restaurant though

• such a venture would require alot of money to be taken out in loan form...

this i know...

but does anyone have an experience in this field...or know of a close friend who ventured into this territory...

i am just looking into things on a very very "from a distance maybe one day in the future" perspective

not a full out concert hall...but something such as a bar/lounge where you can fit a significant amount of people

any legality issues besides a liquor license?

just some random thought or comments if anyone has them...

id appreciate it

hit me on the PM

i've run clubs/bars/lounges from 50 -900 capacity and have dealt with every level of the business. organize a list of questions and i'll answer as best i can.

Blaine

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Probably, but the bar business tends to suffer from this the most.....at least that was my experience.

I think NZ will concur.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Depending on where you are, you should first look into the "Cabaret Laws".
    If you are interested in an establishment that allows even limited dancing or performing...you will probably need one and they are, on the whole, very difficult to obtain.

No bank will give you the money,

Would you put a house up against a bar?

Well, a bar... that's a pretty good bet... I wouldn't for a "lounge" or restaurant though

Depends on the business plan. nah mean? I know a guy that put up his house for a hip-hop show and got the money to do it.

that show was Rock the Bells and he won.

Just sayin. You want money you better have collateral.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Read up on the odss too...the survival rate for bars alone does not work in the favor of the bar owner. Add entertainment on that and i don't know which way the numbers sway. The right bar in the right spot is a goldmine. The right bar in the wrong place will have you paying for the rest of your life.

My advice based solely on having passing interest in this myself: learn every single way a bar / lounge can or has failed and do the research from there.