The King of Kong

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    That looks fucking awesome!!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    That looks fucking awesome!!!

The director was on KCRW's The Treatment and the film sounds pretty fascinating regardless if you're into video games or not.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Yeah, I mean that's the way I like my documentaries - obscure enough so that it's outside of my world but fascinating none the less. I mean, who do you even call to say that you're the best Donkey Kong player ever? Man, I really want to see this now!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    such a good preview!
    i've been geeked to see this for a minute

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    This must be the first movie in years that I've actually wanted to go see in the theatres.

And yes, Donkey Kong is fuckin' hard.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    That dude did just compare himself to "the abortion issue".

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Although much harder in the arcade....this shit is so addicting and frustating!
    Donkey Kong

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    Yeah, I mean that's the way I like my documentaries - obscure enough so that it's outside of my world but fascinating none the less. I mean, who do you even call to say that you're the best Donkey Kong player ever? Man, I really want to see this now!

Funny you ask, go see this and it's fully explained and it's pretty f'in funny too.

I posted on it in the docu thread but yeah, if it's playing in your city, go see this immediately it won't disappoint.

I saw it in Austin and they had a Donky Kong contest and the prize was a donkey kong stand-up! The contestants were picked like a raffle and dudes were paying people $20 to give up their tickets so they could get in the tourney.

Shit was hard I could never even get past the second level.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I wanna see it but i can wait for dvd format.

Its playing in like 3 theatres in NYC.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Looking forward to this.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I cant wait.

i have seen a doco on Bill before, he runs his family's restaurant right?

Hey, that's 3x more than L.A.!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'm very excited to see this, although Baltimore usually gets small docs months after LA and NYC, if at all. My coworker's been hyping it up to me for months, he saw it Slamdance in January. The Sundance festival apparently passed on it because that same week they were showcasing a similarly themed competing doc called "Chasing Ghosts" about the only guy to ever achieve a perfect score at Pac-Man. I'm interested in that one as well, but there's some satisfaction in the "smaller" film going on to larger success.

i saw that its playing at the nuart on the way to work today...

http://www.google.com/movies?hl=en&near=90049&dq=king+of+kong,+90049&tid=96c36b3fbcf8e139&sa=X&oi=showtimes&ct=theater-link&cd=1

i saw that its playing at the nuart on the way to work today...

http://www.google.com/movies?hl=en&near=90049&dq=king+of+kong,+90049&tid=96c36b3fbcf8e139&sa=X&oi=showtimes&ct=theater-link&cd=1

Word - I saw that too and Nuart is really close to me. I just hope it plays there long enough for me to find a babysitter one evening to see this. And shit, we're still trying to see "Superbad" too. Maybe it's time for a double header but I don't imagine the two films would actually end up at the same multi-plex.

i have a superbad dvd i could lend you. holler if youre interested...

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    I'm very excited to see this, although Baltimore usually gets small docs months after LA and NYC, if at all. My coworker's been hyping it up to me for months, he saw it Slamdance in January. The Sundance festival apparently passed on it because that same week they were showcasing a similarly themed competing doc called "Chasing Ghosts" about the only guy to ever achieve a perfect score at Pac-Man. I'm interested in that one as well, but there's some satisfaction in the "smaller" film going on to larger success.

I haven't seen that other one but I would have to think Sundance lost out on that choice... King of Kong did really well at SXSW apparently. I was pretty out of the loop this year though and didn't hear about it until recently.

BTW, I think Billy Mitchell has recorded a perfect game on pac-man. If I understood right that's passing every screen AND eating every ghost when possible (I think towards the end they stop turning blue) - !

If there is another Billy Mitchell documentary I have to see that, dude is crazy. He would seem to be the basis of the Ben Stiller character in Dodge Ball.

Don't wait for DVD, this is a film made for an audience...

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I have to see this. On the Nuart website it says it closes this Thursday.
    Donkey Kong was my very first video game experience. They had a standup coin op machine at the grocery store next to my house back in the early to mid eighties. There used to be a constant que of 10 quarters lined up on that thing showing a line of people waiting to play. I got pretty good at it after a while. After about 3-4 levels the game looped but it was much harder. Almost to the point of laughing.

We went to see this last night...

REALLY FUCKING GREAT.

I haven't had this good a time at a documentary since...um...um...you get the point.

It doesn't matter if you have no interest in video games since the film really isn't about that...it's about all these insane characters who surround and inhabit that world.

It doesn't matter if you have no interest in video games since the film really isn't about that...it's about all these insane characters who surround and inhabit that world.

and also about competition and rivalry and obsession

REALLY FUCKING GREAT.

co-sine

This is worth reading. Very interesting stuff if you care about any of the minute details of the film and what it chronicles:

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1560691/20070529/story.jhtml

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    My friend is bringing over a screening copy of this after work tomorrow!

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

It doesn't matter if you have no interest in records since the film really isn't about that...it's about all these insane characters who surround and inhabit the soul strut world.

i would like to see this donkey kong movie though, the guys do seem insane.