SMOOTHIE STRUT (health related)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Been making these lately, just made a fresh banana + grapes + apple juice + yogurt + a lil oj + honey. Share your recipes. I need to know what protein powder is good for my life.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I need to know what goes good with passion fruit. There's a vine outside my building, oh yes.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I use Whole Nectar Soy Protein Smoothie Mix combined with 5 cubes of ice, 2 cups of mango nectar, 1/4 cup sweet coconut sport strings (macapuno), 1/4 cup sugar palm fruit in syrup (kaong), 1/2 cup of frozen peaches, and 1/4 cup pineapple chunks. Blend vigorously. Serves two.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    People that are not in love, like you two, don't make smoothies!

i think I can use one right now though.....

People that are not in love, like you two, don't make smoothies!

i think I can use one right now though.....
    Ah, but treating oneself to a healthy smoothie is an act of self-love, and one must love oneself before one can truly be loved.

• vanilla soy milk
    frozen mango
    frozen pineapple
    a little fresh ginger

blend.

or (this one isn't particularly nutritious but is really good)

watermelon
    fresh mint
    ice

blend.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Frozen bananas were my secret weapon to making a good smoothie. (peel them first mind) Some smoothie makers wont like ice, it's liable to crack the plastic. But frozen fruit is softer, and it means you'll always have a base for your smoothie handy.

1-2 Bananas
    1 Pear
    squeeze of lemon
    apple juice or water

Smoothies aren't all that healthy, lots of sugar, be it fructose. But it don't matter how many fruit or veg you put in, it still only counts as 1 of your 5 a day.

• place near me makes kale smoothies with coconut milk, banana, pineapple juice, honey, and kale. very good.

frozen bananas are key. put 1 + 1/2 with 2 cups juice and 2 cups fruit (strawberries work well) and you have a fool proof, all fruit smoothie.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    In the morning, I just put carrots, a random assortment of berries, some apple slices and maybe some banana for good measure into a blender with some orange juice in it and down a glass of the concoction Rocky Balboa style. I'm no health food connoisseur, though.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Frozen bananas were my secret weapon to making a good smoothie.

I never use ice. Bananas, little pineapple juice for sweetener, soy milk and whatever fruit is laying around

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Frozen berries are a great ingredient to keep on hand. Cheap, consistent, and good. I rock lassis a lot; just yogurt and ripe papaya, or mango. Cantaloupe and ice is a killer. I will ride for frozen bananas.

If your stomach can handle it--mine can't--cocunt milk (the creamy kind) is an amazing ingredient to work with. Coconut milk and avocado is killer. Flax seed oil is always a good look. And of course a decent quality blender. I used to do ginger, mango, and cinnamon with ice and water. That is a good one too.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Extras to add:

Crushed Pecans, Almonds, or Pistachios - crunchiness

Your favorite Kool Aid (Orange, Grape, or Cherry) - sweetness

Whey Protein Powder - fluffness/protein

Corn Flakes - vitamins

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I make lots of smoothies. This is my staple go-to.

-Frozen Organic Blueberries
    -Frozen Organic Rasberries
    -Organic Bananas
    -Liberte Pear Yogurt
    -Enriched Vanilla Soy Milk
    -100% All Vitamin Spirulina powder (every vitamin you need in these)

AND

-Peanut Butter
    -Rasberry Emergen-c

Everybody I make these for has nothing but face-melting reviews.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    place near me makes kale smoothies with coconut milk, banana, pineapple juice, honey, and kale. very good.

frozen bananas are key. put 1 + 1/2 with 2 cups juice and 2 cups fruit (strawberries work well) and you have a fool proof, all fruit smoothie.

I used to go for kale, beet, orange & pineapple smoothies, but the dude kept fucking up my order and putting apple in there. So I had a go at him one time and he comes back with "you know you're not supposed to eat fruit and vegetables at the same time" snideness. He was on some Bangladeshi attitude. Somewhere in the altercation he also said I was the one with the weird accent - that's why he kept messing up the order.

OJ + 2 bananas = instant basic smoothie.

cosign on the frozen fruit. Froz Strwbs are the best.

NO NUTS OR CRUSTY SHIT IN THERE!

• FRUITS:
    mango or papaya
    pineapple
    banana
    +
    JUICE:
    carrot
    +
    HEALTHIES:
    spirulina
    bee pollen

is my regular favorite.

i also do a banana-peanutbutter-milk one when i have a chocolate-flavored-dietary-supplement

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    power size berry-lime sublime with an energy boost please.

thanks.

I make lots of smoothies. This is my staple go-to.

-Frozen Organic Blueberries
    -Frozen Organic Rasberries
    -Organic Bananas
    -Liberte Pear Yogurt
    -Enriched Vanilla Soy Milk
    -100% All Vitamin Spirulina powder (every vitamin you need in these)

AND

-Peanut Butter
    -Rasberry Emergen-c

Everybody I make these for has nothing but face-melting reviews.

^^ Sounds great Nate, I'll have to try it. Props to everyone for all these excellent recipes, this hand me down blender gonna get a workout, no doubt.

power size berry-lime sublime with an energy boost please.

thanks.

^^^ don't be a slave to the jamba or naked juice, get a blender and buy some fruit

~Reformed juice company slave

• I used to make some wacky ones a few months ago. I was trying to cut out some of the crappy food I eat and do meal replacements. Here was the basic recipe.

frozen raspberries
    frozen strawberries
    banana
    blueberries
    frozen pineapple
    a few baby carrots
    2 brussel sprouts
    one little tree of broccoli (not the entire large crown, just one of the dudes)
    beets
    whatever juice I had (orange, sometimes lemonade)

I was trying to get a bunch of stuff in there. The broccoli made it a bit thick and vegetably, but the pineapple and raspberry basically cuts through all flavors and overpowers everything. I'm not saying this was the most refreshing drink. It was too much at times, but it was totally do-able. I never tasted the brussel sprouts or the beets.

eating vegetables is a good look, especially since I would never ever eat raw brussel sprouts or beets.

I think I might get back into this. Now I will be smarter and add the soy protein powder. I live near a bunch of local markets and it's so cheap to stock up and fresh stuff to throw in the blender.

If taste and "smooth"ness are the main goal, vegetables are probably not a good option.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    what's a good blender to purchase?

• That kale smoothie sounds amazing. I'm going to look for a recipe now. I usually just blend up the nicest seasonal fruit with some soy milk and agave. I'm not a fan of supplements.

Empanadamn beat me to the cruicial question. What kind of blender are you guys working with? My blender is from the 80's and is on it's last legs. I'd like to buy a Vitamix eventually but they are $$$. I'm debating between a Vita (you can make cashew nut butter with these!) or a juicer. Suggestions on competent "in the meantime" options would be much appreciated.

• I'm using this and it is a work horse. Has a food processor attachment that works really well too.

http://www.us-appliance.com/bfcusmdublpr.html

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    ice, vanilla lowfat yogurt, frozen berries, whey protein 2 tbl., banana, 1/2 cup uncook instant oatmeal, pinapple or orange juice, 1% milk.

or any vartiation thereof.

great for breakfast or after workout.

The thing I have been trying is the eating 6 times a day thing. Apparently when you dont eat for a long time, your body reacts by storing fat. So the idea is to eat the amount of food you can fit in your palm 6 times a day. So far I lost a little over 10 lbs.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Osterizer - cheap, no frills, two speeds, able to chop ice and easy to clean.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Banana Blueberry Cinnamon Nutmeg Yogurt Buttermilk Mint Lime Lemon

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

mango + pear and just a little bit of honey ! the resut taste

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Out of curiousity, are y'all making smoothies because you like the taste or are you noticing some health benefits?

I've been making smoothies (some fruit and veggie combinations) for about a week (and taking some suggestions from this thread) and I've noticed that I have a lot more energy during the day and evening...Anyone else notice this?

Out of curiousity, are y'all making smoothies because you like the taste or are you noticing some health benefits?

I've been making smoothies (some fruit and veggie combinations) for about a week (and taking some suggestions from this thread) and I've noticed that I have a lot more energy during the day and evening...Anyone else notice this?

^^^ I used to just eat absolute empty carbs for breakfast, raised on some toast and coffee bs

after getting on this smoothie action for a month, I balance it out with a phat one right before work, takes about 10 mins max for me to make this and wash down the blender:

+ strawberries
    + banana
    + oj / gingseng tea / apple juice
    + whey protein powder
    + honey
    + non-fat vanilla yogurt
    + ice (i tried the ice bananas but it ended up too thick..)
    + whatever other in season fruit (white nectarines and pears, oh my)

I have way more energy and barely any hunger until lunch...haven't lost any weight but hey I'm loving it and feeling GOOD

thanks all!