Welcome To The Terrordome appreciation

2»

Comments

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    And while we at it, MAJOR props to the Bomb Squad, Kirk Yano and 'em. They did one of the best (if not the best) layering job in the History of sampled music.

• cdrs88cdrs88 48 Posts
    And while we at it, MAJOR props to the Bomb Squad, Kirk Yano and 'em. They did one of the best (if not the best) layering job in the History of sampled music.

I would strongly agree with that statement, man the first time I heard 'Welcome To The Terrordome' I got those chills down my spine and was mesmerized by the apocalyptic feel it had to it and I always thought it was well, well, well ahead of it's time...like most Public Enemy joints

'Black Steel In The Hour of Chaos' is MY PE track though.

Here is my signed Public Enemy T-Shirt from 1990

I actually met Flavor and James Bomb that day, Flav was buying up mad tapes (Janet Jackson, Quincy Jones) and making the crew late for the airport, he was hilarious and was rocking the graf denim and YES a clock, we talked about this solo album then...because he did 'Flava's Diner' which was a dope rhyme over the DNA-Tom's Diner beat (I know all of you UK kids remember that one).

I have been lucky enough to see Public Enemy three times and the T-Shirt above was from my first International Rap concert.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    wow, flav spelled his name wrong!
    or is the V jammed in there.

• we talked about this solo album then...because he did 'Flava's Diner' which was a dope rhyme over the DNA-Tom's Diner beat (I know all of you UK kids remember that one)

haha I never heard a "Flav's Diner" rap.

• cdrs88cdrs88 48 Posts
    wow, flav spelled his name wrong!
    or is the V jammed in there.

I always thought it was avor like he latched the a and the v, let me tell you though friend, Mr Drayton was clearly not in soberland

• I'm partial to night of the living baseheads.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    without a doubt one of the best rap songs ever.

what's up with the version without the backwards high pitched noise layer? it was mostly just the drums knocking really loud and the beat would cut out at the end of a bunch of chuck's lines? i had it on some weird DMC record pool sampler. does anyone know what i'm talking about? i don't remember it being on the 12"

Yeah, I'm pretty that version is the Terrorbeat on the 12" (and maxi-cassingle )

Hands down one of the greatest songs of all time.

Does an mp3 exist? I've never heard this.......

• cdrs88cdrs88 48 Posts

what's up with the version without the backwards high pitched noise layer? it was mostly just the drums knocking really loud and the beat would cut out at the end of a bunch of chuck's lines? i had it on some weird DMC record pool sampler. does anyone know what i'm talking about? i don't remember it being on the 12"

Yeah, I'm pretty that version is the Terrorbeat on the 12" (and maxi-cassingle )

Does an mp3 exist? I've never heard this.......

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OXYTR70T

A1
    Welcome To The Terrordome (Vocal) (5:25)
    A2
    Terrorbeat (3:05)
    B1
    Flavor Flav (0:16)
    B2
    Welcome To The Terrordome (Terrormental) (3:36)

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    This thread made me pull out my Temptations - Psychadelic shack LP.

Great record.

PE made me pull out so many soul LPs...I think i strated to buy Soul thanks to the Bomb squad. And i remember discovering Run-DMC before PE but they didnt give me that same feelings...When you attempt to list all the previous recorded materials they used to build PE albums, you almost have all the classics in it. Plus more. Way more.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Yeah! Bomb Squad =

Kirk Yano, that dude worked with NTM, right?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    HANK FUCKING SHOCKLEE!!!!!!!!!!

yep Bapt...that's why i mentionned him actually. Very open minded dude (coca??ne?).

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Just listen to it NOW then go play basketball aafterward...see if you dont come up with something!

fucking yes.

• cdrs88cdrs88 48 Posts
    PE made me pull out so many soul LPs...I think i strated to buy Soul thanks to the Bomb squad. And i remember discovering Run-DMC before PE but they didnt give me that same feelings...When you attempt to list all the previous recorded materials they used to build PE albums, you almost have all the classics in it. Plus more. Way more.

I'm the same, I bought a lot of Soul compilations on CD and tracked down Issac Hayes, The Temptations, James Brown, Chi-Lite records and others because of PE, I even bought a Slayer record just because of the sample on She Watch Channel Zero...and for the record, I am starting to like the new Public Enemy album.

• awallawall 673 Posts

no, it's not the terrorbeat version actually. that's more of dub version or something. this was just a really stripped down version of the regular song, and the beat would drop out every now and then at points that it doesn't in the regular version of the song...it's like it was an unfinished version of the song they slid to the record pool people to get it on the comp before the album was done. fuck, i'm going to have to grab that shit next time i'm at my folk's house.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Have no time to read the whole thread. Just wanna say I every positive qoute made about PE.

And I have no fucking Problem with Flava doing his VH1 thing. Thats Flava is all I can say.

These dudes made my youth more joyfull !!!!

And I said it before on this board, dont underate their newer catalog of recordings.

Check this out of my blog:

Public Enemy - Anti Nigga Machine

Public enemy live Flav on the drums
    I didnt knew that Flava can play that funky !!!!

There are other great videos, but unfortunatley no embed codes on youtube, .

Peace
    Hawkeye