Welcome To The Terrordome appreciation

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
The recent PE thread and, more specifically, the Monch cover (which I really like, btw) made me go back and revisit this for the first time in a while.Turn it right up.If this record makes me nostalgic for anything, it's for a time when hip-hop records could still genuinely startle you; when your boys would ask, "You heard that new PE yet?", and it'd be heads shaken in disbelief and breakfaces all round. Possibly even more than "Rebel Without A Pause", this is the one. It's nearly twenty years old, and its impact hasn't diminished a jot. Even as a comparatively old man, when I hear this now it still makes me want to smash the room up or something. I'd occasionally hear people describe PE as "black punk rock", and I'm fairly certain I've used similarly facile and reductionist terms to try and pin them down in the past, but really, PE only ever sounded like PE. Was there any real precedent for this in mainstream black music? Disembodied fragments of noise flying all over the stereo picture, Flav's bizarre non-sequiturs, the Bomb Squad straight wildin' on the boards, Chuck's declamatory store-front-preacher-meets-street-corner-teacher rhyming, and the whole damn thing just getting right up in your face like what. No wonder Mike Tyson used to use it as his intro music. File under: one of the greatest records ever made.

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    BUMP and huge freakin' . I made a co-worker a PE compilation and ended up listening to it in the car for a good couple of weeks. Lovely.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

yes!

" got so much trouble on my mind
    I refuse to lose
    Here's your ticket
    Hear the drummer get wicked..."

Yo! Bumrush The Show (1987)

+

It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back (1988)

+

Fear Of A Black Planet (1990)

+

Apocalypse 91: The Enemy Strikes Black (1991)

=

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    YES.

My all time number one get hype i wanna smash some shit up and relive my youth song.

if it was not for this album i would not be posting on this board today, i would not be listening to the music i listen to today.

I cannot overestimate the effect this band has had on my life.

Public Fuckin Enemy.

Welcome To The Terrordome is my shit.

There was a reason that it was Iron Mikes choice.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Welcome To The Terrordome is argueably their greatest song.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I think it is. I think Nation of Millions tops Fear of a Black Planet overall (though not by much), but to me, "Terrordome" is PE's pinnacle. There's nothing about that song that isn't fucking facemelting, and I think that damn near every part of it became an instant rewind at some point (I distinctly remember a phase where I could constantly rewind that one bar that comes in during one of the later hooks where it strips down to just one high-pitched guitar note and the kick and snare--just perfect).

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    No..."Fight the Power" IS the ultimate PE track!!

PS : I often listen to PE when i got the blues.

• No..."Fight the Power" IS the ultimate PE track!!

You sound European

Public Enemy # 1 was that shit
    and the Rebel took it up a notch
    Fight the Power was/is an anthum
    Terror "to your" Dome was like - holy shit, can dudes outdo Nations.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    "Terrordome" is PE's pinnacle.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

amazing jam- but for me it's "Rebel without a Pause". Voted most popular song when Iwas in 7th grade.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

No..."Fight the Power" IS the ultimate PE track!!

Dude, where you at?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Also I remember "Hollywood Burn" being a hit when it came out... sayin'

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

Also I remember "Hollywood Burn" being a hit when it came out... sayin'

big daddy kanes verse on that song is totally goosebump raising. and when he finishes with that seriously angry 'burn hollywood burn'...oh shit.

ill cosign on 'nation' as best PE album overall (and a top 20 album evar in any genre), but terrordome as THE p.e. track if you can only have one.

wow Bapt PM...

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    'Rebel' and 'Terrordome' are both close. I have to give it to 'Rebel' though because I saw them do it live in '88 and it was

20 years later and I STILL know all the words.

• Welcome To The Terrordome is argueably their greatest song.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    pe was great! i saw them live twice and just couldnt get over how dope their stage show was. flava running around, terminator x pretending to dj, s1ws stompin around. AWESOME! nothing like smoking at a pe show and just zoning out on the lyrics from chuck. used to watch chuck d do the college circuit just rapping about whatever he was on at the moment. also got to work with him a little bit during my internet days when we signed him to do a radio show... wonder whatever happened to all that stuff we recorded?

i was also never one to put much up on my bedroom walls until the fear LP came out and i pinned that poster up on my wall. the record store around the corner from me gave it to me as a gift. it was also the first record i got shouted out on (well the b/w promo one anyway) and was beyond excited due to that.

in high school my boy dore got a pe baseball jersey made in the phillipines with the logo on it and everything! shit was dope.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    My GOD, I thought I was the only one who still bumped this track! I saw PE (for free) last year and FINALLY copped one of those shirts with the Public Enemy logo on the front and a HUGE b-boy in the scope on the back.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    "Black Steel" is still my jam, but "Terrordome" gets love...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    If this record makes me nostalgic for anything, it's for a time when hip-hop records could still genuinely startle you; when your boys would ask, "You heard that new PE yet?", and it'd be heads shaken in disbelief and breakfaces all round.

Yeah, I remember going down to the store the day this came out on a cassingle and copping it, putting it in my walkman and being blown to bits. I went to a party that night and gloated about having it, and my boys were like "Oh shit, let me hear it. LET ME SEE IT."

Reminds me of when new releases used to be an EVENT, even MORE than an event. Also,

Possibly even more than "Rebel Without A Pause", this is the one.

You are correct.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    "Terrordome" is PE's pinnacle.

Public Enemy # 1 was that shit
    and the Rebel took it up a notch
    Fight the Power was/is an anthum
    Terror "to your" Dome was like - holy shit, can dudes outdo Nations.

And then just when u thought that was it.....

Shut 'Em Down - Pete Rock Remix

Talking of which.. anyone know where the 'Would you join me please..." vocal snippet comes from? Mantronix used it too.

And don't dare tell me to

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Talking of which.. anyone know where the 'Would you join me please..." vocal snippet comes from? Mantronix used it too

wattstax.

"...ms. carla thomas" is the next line, if my memory serves...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I've never heard Welcome to the Terrordome, should I?

1) quit the rap game
    2) come all the way out the closet
    3) both

Just listen to it NOW then go play basketball aafterward...see if you dont come up with something!

Talking of which.. anyone know where the 'Would you join me please..." vocal snippet comes from? Mantronix used it too

wattstax.

"...ms. carla thomas" is the next line, if my memory serves...

Yet another case of me listening to something 100 times and not noticing something screamingly obvious

• Izm's right. Listen to this and go bust some fools down on the court. That shit still makes me want to run up and down the street and break stuff.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    without a doubt one of the best rap songs ever.

what's up with the version without the backwards high pitched noise layer? it was mostly just the drums knocking really loud and the beat would cut out at the end of a bunch of chuck's lines? i had it on some weird DMC record pool sampler. does anyone know what i'm talking about? i don't remember it being on the 12"

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    without a doubt one of the best rap songs ever.

what's up with the version without the backwards high pitched noise layer? it was mostly just the drums knocking really loud and the beat would cut out at the end of a bunch of chuck's lines? i had it on some weird DMC record pool sampler. does anyone know what i'm talking about? i don't remember it being on the 12"

Yeah, I'm pretty that version is the Terrorbeat on the 12" (and maxi-cassingle )

Hands down one of the greatest songs of all time.