Bollywood/Indian Music Help Please

ArtichokeArtichoke 112 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Hey all,Im trying to expand into bollywood/indian music and would love some suggestions. Here is what I know so far ...Artists to look out for RD Burman Kalyanji anandjiBappi LahiriAnanda ShankarSo far the albums I'm into are Shalimar, Muqaddar Ka Sikandar(kind of), Ananda Shankar and his Music, Bombay 405 miles.Any suggestions or direction would be much appreciatedLove,Arti

Comments

• There are so so many good ones, don't pay too much
    as they are pressed in huge quantities, even India,
    with a bit of diggin you can turn them up cheap ..

This has been covered quite a few times even on this board,
    a search on the forum might give you some clues.

Anyways there is a great bollywood blog,
    http://thirdfloormusic.blogspot.com/

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Really depends on what era you're interested in, and also what your goal is. Are you looking for old stuff? You're already on the right track with the composers you mentioned. Do you want to listen at home or is this for DJing? I wouldn't DJ with old Bollywood vinyl, except maybe for the vinyl that was pressed in the 80s when sound quality improved significantly.

Or, if you want to check out new stuff, some of the more recent composers are extremely talented but there's a ton of cheesy crap as well. Current composers I watch out for include: A.R. Rehman, Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, Salim-Sulaiman, Vishal Bharadwaj, Mithoon. You can look up all these guys on imdb.com to see what soundtracks they've worked on.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    There's TONS of bollywood soundtracks both old and new on iTunes - start with the composers you've mentioned and go from there.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Yeah, you're on the right path with those composers... that should keep you busy for a while. Some good titles to look for are:

Dharmatma
    Don
    Rocky
    Burning Train
    Hum Kisse Hum Naheen
    Joshilaay
    Parmatma
    Hotel
    Bairaag

... so and so forth.

I finally picked up my top Bollywood want... Purab Aur Pachhim by Kalyanji Anandji. It's got that Somebody to Love track from Bombay the Hard Way. It took me forever to just find what soundtrack the song was from cuz it's listed as Love Me on the original. Sweetness!

Purab Aur Pachhim by Kalyanji Anandji. It's got that Somebody to Love track from Bombay the Hard Way.

SHUKRIYA!!!!

Purab Aur Pachhim by Kalyanji Anandji. It's got that Somebody to Love track from Bombay the Hard Way.

SHUKRIYA!!!!

I don't know how to say you're welcome in Hindi so... you're welcome

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Anyways there is a great bollywood blog,
    http://thirdfloormusic.blogspot.com/

...although last time I checked there was some discussion about it being discontinued/shut down

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

SHUKRIYA!!!!

is there a word for sorry in hindi?

as far as singers go, im a big fan of usha uttap. and i have feeling john waters is too. kitch for dayz.

i need to get up on my electro tamil steez... plaese to be take to school

hi marco.

• Thanks for the suggestions so far

Really depends on what era you're interested in, and also what your goal is. Do you want to listen at home or is this for DJing?

Its basically for personal enjoyment. I like something with a funky beat but also enjoy the squeeling females (that doesnt sound quite right, but you know what I mean) Im not well versed on the eras but am down to listen to the more classic tunes as well.

Ive also tried to search for this on the forums but only came up with a thread that turned into native american funk discussion.

I found this website which had some suggestions and have looked at the previously mentioned blog as well

http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/da/49512

I guess that Im wondering what your top 5 or ten albums would be. I figure this would be a good forum to discuss because most people (im assuming) here started collecting funk jazz soul and eventually came up on indian music they like with those similar qualities.

thanks again

-choke

hi marco.

OMAHA NEBRASKA. AUGUST 31. LETS PARTY YAAR.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Can someone tell me what soundtrack the YOGA song is from? That song kills me. And isn't there a cover of Rockit, too?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    YOGA is from Haadsaa.

Can someone tell me what soundtrack the YOGA song is from? That song kills me.

Yeah it's a total ripoff of Kraftwerk's "The Model." The movie is HAADSAA.

Um, I suspend my thanks for the moment - you sure that song is on that album? It's not on my copy.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Don't sleep on Lollywood. I spent the last days in Lahore and shit was crazy. First time in Pakistan that I really came across loads of Bollywood and Lollywood records. Without prelistening facilities it was kind of hard to choose though.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

more reason to hate this song.

• doomdoom 305 Posts

I finally picked up my top Bollywood want... Purab Aur Pachhim by Kalyanji Anandji. It's got that Somebody to Love track from Bombay the Hard Way. It took me forever to just find what soundtrack the song was from cuz it's listed as Love Me on the original. Sweetness!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c04qyJlm_sw

Great clip - thanks for posting!

Unfortunately it's not on the vinyl soundtrack, which doesn't surprise me: a lot of the music on BOMBAY THE HARD WAY is previously unreleased incidental music from the films that didn't make it to the album releases, which our own Iron Monkey can confirm since he oversaw the BTHW project. For instance, the "Mission:Impossible" ripoff from BLACKMAIL is on BTHW, but not on the actual BLACKMAIL soundtrack album.

Unfortunately it's not on the vinyl soundtrack

Ummm... listen again or we have different pressings of the album. Mine's a double LP gatefold and that song most certainly is on it. I can provide evidence when I get home from work.

Unfortunately it's not on the vinyl soundtrack

Ummm... listen again or we have different pressings of the album. Mine's a double LP gatefold and that song most certainly is on it. I can provide evidence when I get home from work.

Ah - mine's just the single LP. I'd love to see a pic of this.

I don't know if I've come across many double LP bollywood soundtracks, though I have seen lots of single-album soundtracks with both regular & gatefold sleeve versions.