prince paul

Comments

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I celebrate his entire catalog (except "Politics of the Business" ...didn't work).
    One of his true masterpieces is :

Alot of people hate- but the production is truly amazing...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I celebrate his entire catalog (except "Politics of the Business" ...didn't work).

he did the whole album? I thought he was just kinda involved.

he did the whole album? I thought he was just kinda involved.

yup- acctually more of an EP. That's all of Barman's voice you can take honestly.

• I listen to Buhloone Mindstate and De La Soul Is Dead constantly. The rest, not so much... but his humor is totally lost from De La's subsequent work... I mean where is shit like

Oh Johnny!!

You got a bullet in your forehead, boy

Don't you understand, you dead

Buried six feet under the concrete

Ooh-aww-oh!!!!

That's the noise he made when he got shot

But Johnny's still dead

Still dead

Thought about his mama

Thought about his father Josephine

Nobody could help the boy when he hit the concrete

Ooh-aww-oh!!!!

The last words said by Johnny

But now he's six feet under and he's
    dead

• Prince Paul is the BEST.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    speaking of stetsasonic, have any of you heard the PUTS remix of "DBC Let the Music Play"? because

it was a 12" and the other side had a remix of Sally. lordradio did an amazing job with those acapellas!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'm a huge fan of Prince Paul's, the stoopid sense of humor and the melodic way he arranges his loops has always appealed to my ear for some reason. I can understand why people don't like him, but to me he's one of the GOAT's.

PS: If you are a fan you should really check out the Itsrumental LP he put out a little while back. Dude still makes quality music, it didn't stop in 94 or whatever.

I listen to Buhloone Mindstate and De La Soul Is Dead constantly. The rest, not so much... but his humor is totally lost from De La's subsequent work... I mean where is shit like

I gotta agree. As soon as he left they became the grumpy old men of hip hop

and that was 10 years ago!

• The Rise and Fall of the Dix is

Here Comes the DIX!

The Rise and Fall of the Dix is

Here Comes the DIX!

was that good? that's my hole in the prince paul discography.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Gold Dust was alright

new prince paul/ bernie worrel project ft. David Byrne.

http://www.stereogum.com/archives/mp3/new-baby-elephant-feat-david-byrne-how-does-the-br.html

sounds cool on paper....but

I dunno?

• The Rise and Fall of the Dix is

Here Comes the DIX!

was that good? that's my hole in the prince paul discography.

I just heard the 45 with that one track. I dig it, but it's probably not for everybody.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    to me, he's one of the best.

word - one of the pioneers. He should be in the same conversation as large professor and pete rock. although I'll take the latter two first.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Controller 7 is right. "I Am I Be" is an immaculate beat.

-e

• what about listing some nice Price Paul productions that are not so talked about but still nice:

Paul only gets a couple of tracks on this album, but they both nice.

And again only a couple of tracks on here, but dare I say they would have been good enough to be on a De La album.

what about listing some nice Price Paul productions that are not so talked about but still nice:

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    def one of my top favorite producers. a producers producer, like dilla was.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I love Prince Paul as a producer. To me, Buhloone is the pinnacle of a certain style/era/approach/subgenre/whatever of hip-hop. That album got nonstop play for about a year after its release, and I still go back to it a lot. And I agree with whoever defended PP's complexity as a producer... his beats from that era have some really complex, unconventional layering, and hint at different approaches to dissonance in hip-hop production that RZA would run with and refine through the mid-90s.

I enjoyed Psychoanalysis and Prince Among Thieves, and even the Paul Barman EP. Didn't feel the Handsome Boy shit too much, but dutifully purchased em, and until recently collected anything with Prince Paul's name on it.

That said, I think he's turned into a very reactionary and offputting personality lately -- or had as of a few years ago.

He played Baltimore a few years ago when his last solo album came out. The album was mostly trash, but that wasn't my problem. His show was so fucking pedantic... he basically stood in front of a turntable, played excerpts from some of his past productions, and then stopped the music between every song-fragment and lectured the audience. "What do you know about hip-hop history? Oh, you didn't know I did that cut? Oh, you didn't know I put Jay-Z on?" etc etc.

Then that segued into him shit-talking current artists and their unwillingness to work with him, belittling modern producers, etc. It was the furthest thing from entertainment imaginable.

Then with that third solo album via Sandbox he put out a free "mix" CD that, if I remember correctly (I only listened to it once) was basically the same thing... excerpts from his hits with angry, condescending "history lesson" voice-overs.

It felt like he got into a very bad place when trends in hip-hop left him behind, and I can sympathize with that. But the thing is, I refuse to believe that "no one" wants to work with him. I'm sure lots of hungry young artists would like to associate themselves with a name producer like Prince Paul; do the work to find the subset of talented MCs who go well with your style, and keep plugging away.

I'm guessing the reality is Prince Paul's asking for Just Blaze-level production fees, and it hurts his ego that no one can/will pay him those rates, so instead he insulates himself from current realities with the above nonesense.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    "I Am I Be" is an immaculate ALBUM.

-e

Prince Paul open the doors for ATCQ.

what did he do for a trobe called quest?

dude pretty much invented the album skit and prince among thieves is genius!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    a trobe called quest?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    PRINCE PAUL WAS SAMPLING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SOUNDS WHEN NEARLY EVERYONE ELSE IN THE GAME WAS STILL STUCK ON JAMES BROWN AND HIS DISCIPLES

"BRA"
    "SATURDAY IN THE PARK"
    HALL & OATES
    BILLY JOEL
    "EN MELODY"
    "GAME OF LOVE"
    "PEAS PORRIDGE"

that's not like transitioning from JB to willie mitchell or the meters or rick james. that is completely changing the game. and you know when paul did use conventionally sampled songs or artists, he always did it in a completely new way. in other words...

i CANNOT see why folks would be like

respect the architect.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    PRINCE PAUL WAS SAMPLING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SOUNDS WHEN NEARLY EVERYONE ELSE IN THE GAME WAS STILL STUCK ON JAMES BROWN AND HIS DISCIPLES

"BRA"
    "SATURDAY IN THE PARK"
    HALL & OATES
    BILLY JOEL
    "EN MELODY"
    "GAME OF LOVE"
    "PEAS PORRIDGE"

"PEG"!

• PRINCE PAUL WAS SAMPLING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SOUNDS WHEN NEARLY EVERYONE ELSE IN THE GAME WAS STILL STUCK ON JAMES BROWN AND HIS DISCIPLES

"BRA"
    "SATURDAY IN THE PARK"
    HALL & OATES
    BILLY JOEL
    "EN MELODY"
    "GAME OF LOVE"
    "PEAS PORRIDGE"

"PEG"!

He was the first one I know of to sample that "eddie bo" drumbreak, whats it called, sounds like "hot coffee pot". I know that break through him.
    And that dela "pease porridge" just killed it.

This is the file:

• Prince Paul was the first dude I saw rock a dj set with CDs.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

please tell me this isn't real?!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

to me, he's one of the best.

word - one of the pioneers. He should be in the same conversation as large professor and pete rock. although I'll take the latter two first.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i CANNOT see why folks would be like

Uneducated underexposed disconnected ones.

• please tell me this isn't real?!

That???s the CD cover, the LP version is a little different but not better.
    This album also has Pete Rocks first two productions (on wax) the title track being one and it???s a killer.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

OH MY GOD. seeing this makes me want to rent House Party