forbidden kingdom = softbatch?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone hear anything about the upcoming Jackie Chan/Jet Li film, Forbidden Kingdom? I caught the NPR report on it then read a description of it online and it sounds cornball.

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Anyone hear anything about the upcoming Jackie Chan/Jet Li film, Forbidden Kingdom? I caught the NPR report on it then read a description of it online and it sounds cornball.

I've read about it online. If it really gets made, its going to be awful. I think its supposed to be like a Journey To The West '07. I still like both actors. Caught Rush Hour 3 & will go to see Jet Li's War later this month. I just don't think this story can turn out well.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "rumor has it that The Forbidden Kingdom is about a New York teenager who is obsessed with Hong Kong cinema and also classic Kung Fu movies. Jason (Michael Angarano), as a boy who is always bullied in school, is determined to learn kung fu to protect himself. One day in an antique Chinatown pawnshop, the Kid makes an extraordinary discovery, he finds a Chinese staff. Its the legendary Ru Yi Bang staff of the Chinese sage and warrior, Sun Wukong the Monkey King. With the lost relic in hand, the mysterious power in the staff takes him back to ancient China. There he meets kung fu master Lu Yan (Jackie Chan). He is unkempt and looks like a beggar. Jason became his disciple. Later, they meet another kung fu master Golden Sparrow (Liu Yifei) and Silent Monk (Jet Li). The three of them go on to a journey after seeing the staff in Jason???s possession. There has been an ancient prophesy: Sun Wukong also known as The Monkey King, who has been jailed under the Five Fingers Mountain by Lord Buddha himself, will one day be freed by a ???foreign youngster???, who returns the staff to the Monkey King. After knowing the arrival of Jason, the Jade Emperor (Collin Chou) immediately sends out his three highly skilled guard led by White Haired Demon (Li Bingbing) to kill the boy. So the chasing and the fighting begins."

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    "rumor has it that The Forbidden Kingdom is about a New York teenager who is obsessed with Hong Kong cinema and also classic Kung Fu movies. Jason (Michael Angarano), as a boy who is always bullied in school, is determined to learn kung fu to protect himself. One day in an antique Chinatown pawnshop, the Kid makes an extraordinary discovery, he finds a Chinese staff. Its the legendary Ru Yi Bang staff of the Chinese sage and warrior, Sun Wukong the Monkey King. With the lost relic in hand, the mysterious power in the staff takes him back to ancient China. There he meets kung fu master Lu Yan (Jackie Chan). He is unkempt and looks like a beggar. Jason became his disciple. Later, they meet another kung fu master Golden Sparrow (Liu Yifei) and Silent Monk (Jet Li). The three of them go on to a journey after seeing the staff in Jason???s possession. There has been an ancient prophesy: Sun Wukong also known as The Monkey King, who has been jailed under the Five Fingers Mountain by Lord Buddha himself, will one day be freed by a ???foreign youngster???, who returns the staff to the Monkey King. After knowing the arrival of Jason, the Jade Emperor (Collin Chou) immediately sends out his three highly skilled guard led by White Haired Demon (Li Bingbing) to kill the boy. So the chasing and the fighting begins."

If anything, I hope it will popularize the story of a Journey To The West & get people checking out some of the other adaptations of the story, like the Japanese "Monkey" or Steven Chow's "Odyssey".

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I'm a big enough fan of both Chan and Li's work to sit through some seriously bad shit but I would have been a lot more interested in this film if it had been made 15-20 years ago

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm a big enough fan of both Chan and Li's work to sit through some seriously bad shit but I would have been a lot more interested in this film if it had been made 15-20 years ago

for days.