Da King & I - Contemporary Jeep Music

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Mic Geronimo's "The Natural" has rather strangely aged quite well.

It really has, and that is sort of surprising. "Men vs. Many" is still thumping pretty hard. That second album was major NAGL territory, though. Makin' moves with Puff?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I always liked the whoridas, but i like it more now.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I always liked the whoridas, but i like it more now.

Good one.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I can't really say it's aged well, but I am feeling this a lot more now than when I first heard it. I always thought it was so boring, but now I just love it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "Men vs. Many" is still thumping pretty hard.

Someone needs to post this MP3 up. Also, I still really like the jawn that sampled the Nona Hendryx jawn too. That's my shit.

ALSO, Craig Mack "Making Moves With Puff..." while I wasn't a huge Craig Mack fan, that beat is ill. Easy Mo Bee, dude.

• "tearz" on da king and I is a great song, it holds up real well.

TEARZ IS MY MUTHAFUCKIN SHIT DAWG

i like all the remixes on the 12in too

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Maybe its cause ness posted, but this thread almost feels like it was ghost bumped.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    whoridas
    Taxin'!

• I like "Full Scale" as much as "Runaway Slave"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    whoridas
    Taxin'!

Great tune. So is "Talkin' 'Bout Bank."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    whoridas
    Taxin'!

(with apologies to Ego Trip)

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    whoridas
    Taxin'!

cosign, but i am not sure if that is so much a 'aged better/well' or just a lot of folks missed it the first time around.

i always feel they got misplaced some where in the marketing of that album. like (at least in texas) they were marketed heavily to college radio kids (probably through the hobo junction link) but the daytons stickers and dodge viper cover turned off some of the real schitters who were ignoring anything not rawkus/solesides related.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    This record has aged very well - I think I like it more now than when it dropped, and I was plenty into it then. Copped a copy for the shop recently and ended up taking it home, after listening to it over and over again.

Damn... Love this album... One of my favorite all time... BTW, what the hell happened to these guys...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    whoridas
    Taxin'!

cosign, but i am not sure if that is so much a 'aged better/well' or just a lot of folks missed it the first time around.

i always feel they got misplaced some where in the marketing of that album. like (at least in texas) they were marketed heavily to college radio kids (probably through the hobo junction link) but the daytons stickers and dodge viper cover turned off some of the real schitters who were ignoring anything not rawkus/solesides related.
    I was feeling it when it dropped, but i think it aged well too. it sounds even better to me now. same with volume 10.

whoridas
    Taxin'!

I was actually the one who first brought tha Whoridas to Texas to do a show. First thing they did off of the plane as a promo was do a spot on KAZI (the black community station).

Then that same night when they went on KVRX (the college station), they and Saafir were very disappointed with the NYC-boombap-centric beats the dj (a sometime Strutter even) provided for their freestyle session. I remember Saafir concluding "dammit, just throw on that Dogg Pound beat and leave it at that" and then kinda confronting the dj afterwards saying "I thought you said you understood what we are about".

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    whoridas
    Taxin'!

I was actually the one who first brought tha Whoridas to Texas to do a show. First thing they did off of the plane as a promo was do a spot on KAZI (the black community station).

Then that same night when they went on KVRX (the college station), they and Saafir were very disappointed with the NYC-boombap-centric beats the dj (a sometime Strutter even) provided for their freestyle session. I remember Saafir concluding "dammit, just throw on that Dogg Pound beat and leave it at that" and then kinda confronting the dj afterwards saying "I thought you said you understood what we are about".

Please don't ever change.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I can't really say it's aged well, but I am feeling this a lot more now than when I first heard it. I always thought it was so boring, but now I just love it.

yeah when this came out i ignored it because the cover was so corny.then my girl -who's no major hip-hop fan- had this cd (the only other rap cd she has is Camp lo for some reason...) and i was completely floored. real classic puba lyrics with dope beats. a perfect follow up to reel 2 real! Which also has aged well!)

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• Hell yeah.

• i saw somewhere that saafir has a new album out, i wonder if its any good

Hell yeah.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I like "Full Scale" as much as "Runaway Slave"

Have to disagree on this one. Full scale had some joints but Runaway Slave was far better... I can listen to that whole thing...

• I like "Full Scale" as much as "Runaway Slave"

Have to disagree on this one. Full scale had some joints but Runaway Slave was far better... I can listen to that whole thing...

I can listen to the whole thing too... but saying Full Scale "had some joints" doesn't say much because it's what, only what 5 cuts long?

But I find the lyrics to be a lot less cringe-worthy on Full Scale.

Of course, Runaway Slave has many classics... but at the time, at my age back then (not an old head) I wasn't really feeling AG's rudimentary flow.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

I can listen to the whole thing too... but saying Full Scale "had some joints" doesn't say much because it's what, only what 5 cuts long?

Of course, Runaway Slave has many classics... but at the time, at my age back then (not an old head) I wasn't really feeling AG's rudimentary flow.

Werd, I feel ya Johnny. I think what stood out about Runaway was there were beats for days on it, plus it was one of those albums that has remained in my top 10 so comparing it Full Scale just doesn't seem proper to me. I'm not an old head either, but its all opinion... I'll just have to go back an listen to FS again...

"Da King and I" killin it though to this day. One of the first cd's I bought. Have NEVER seen it on vinyl but would cop it in a minute...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i saw somewhere that saafir has a new album out, i wonder if its any good
    I got a promo a couple months back. its got 1 good track.

I know this is SoulStrut and all but I implore you to be serious:

Check...you think it's sweet cause me make beats, and flow a lot?
    Hope ya not, won't hes-o-tate to throw a shot
    Smoke ya chocs so get low, when we drop
    Be spraying a whole block, blazing so hot
    C'mon, let em know what's up when we come on
    Show & A, so come wrong and get dumped on
    Back to these beats though, ayo I'm feeling it
    N****s off the wall, preach stuff and feeling s**t
    Know exactly what we dealing with
    See my team got shorty in the middle, yo they killing it
    All night, weed so tight, got me so right
    Inhale it and hold it, like I hold mics
    Can't afford no strikes, can't stand for life
    So give us one, and plus throw mics
    Yo, be no slouch, more stripes than half of you know about
    We will prevail, Full Scale, no doubt[/b]

• I know it's easy enough to look these things up on lyrics sites but when was the last time you listened to that record?

I implore you to check it again.

I know it's easy enough to look these things up on lyrics sites but when was the last time you listened to that record?

Probably a few months ago, just before attempting to unload it on the proprietor of Good Records NYC*.

*He passed.

I know it's easy enough to look these things up on lyrics sites but when was the last time you listened to that record?

Probably a few months ago, just before attempting to unload it on the proprietor of Good Records NYC.

I listened to it for the first time in a long time just a few weeks ago...and then sold it on eBay.

• *He passed.

FILED IT.