I know it's fashionable to hate on the new Common

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
... but I like this new jam with Lily Allen! http://www.thefader.com/blog/articles/2007/07/19/audio-common-f-lily-allen-drivin-me-wildis it me or is this a dope summertime jam?

Comments

• MAYBE IF YOU PUT IT ON 45 SO I COULD DANCE TO IT

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    ... but I like this new jam with Lily Allen!

http://www.thefader.com/blog/articles/2007/07/19/audio-common-f-lily-allen-drivin-me-wild

is it me or is this a dope summertime jam?

^^^^^READS US AND PEOPLE MAG SO HE CAN GET THE SCOOP

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    [quote
    ^^^^^READS US AND PEOPLE MAG SO HE CAN GET THE SCOOP

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

this doesn't bother me... I think i like soft raps.

just being honest here.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

Yes sir, I'm diggin this too. Actually I'm diggin the album for the most part. I had a bit of low expectations, but its cool-ish, better than expected.

• ... but I like this new jam with Lily Allen!

I listened to this with an open mind. Even artists I think are total junk I'll give credit to for a good song or a hot track. Who doesn't love Magic Stick? Or can't grudgingly admit that there's something twistedly genius about My Humps? etc..

So, I don't like (yawn) Common, but I'll give credit where it's due. So I wanted to give an honest listen.

Yeah, I could barely make it through this. I had to chug a pot of coffee, snort all of the cocaine I had left, and drive around the block at 100mph with my head out the window - and..I made it through the whole song!

But, please explain the appeal of Common. I don't understand.

This particular song had a rather mediocre beat. Annoying chorus by Lilly Allen, like a mosquito in your ear, ach! Her voice = nails on chalkboard. And Common's "rap" - I guess that's what you'd call it. Weak, boring, uninspired, nothing clever (actually a bit embarrasing), dull delivery. I have bruise where my head hit the desk when this song brought on narcolepsy 1/4 of the way through.

Calling this "weak sauce" gives it too much credit. Maybe "sulphurous tap water"? "Lite mayo on white bread?"

I'm just miffed, cuz some people, don't just say he's okay, but they act like he's above and beyond most rappers. I just don't understand.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I could see this claiming the number 1 spot on disney radio

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I listened to this with an open mind. Even artists I think are total junk I'll give credit to for a good song or a hot track. Who doesn't love Magic Stick? Or can't grudgingly admit that there's something twistedly genius about My Humps?[/b] etc..

So, I don't like (yawn) Common, but I'll give credit where it's due. So I wanted to give an honest listen.

Yeah, I could barely make it through this. I had to chug a pot of coffee, snort all of the cocaine I had left, and drive around the block at 100mph with my head out the window - and..I made it through the whole song!

But, please explain the appeal of Common. I don't understand.

This particular song had a rather mediocre beat. Annoying chorus by Lilly Allen, like a mosquito in your ear, ach! Her voice = nails on chalkboard. And Common's "rap" - I guess that's what you'd call it. Weak, boring, uninspired, nothing clever (actually a bit embarrasing), dull delivery. I have bruise where my head hit the desk when this song brought on narcolepsy 1/4 of the way through.

Calling this "weak sauce" gives it too much credit. Maybe "sulphurous tap water"? "Lite mayo on white bread?"

I'm just miffed, cuz some people, don't just say he's okay, but they act like he's above and beyond most rappers. I just don't understand.

Your "review" is pretty over the top.

Maybe if he rapped over an old AfroRican track about his buttcheeks you'd feel different.

He was one of the greatest rappers of his era... unfortunately, his era seems to have ended almost a decade ago.

I don't think he's done anything in terms of his rapping that really impressed me since One Day....

• Just an aside, but I'm kind of blown away by the fact that this Common album is retailing for $7.99 (that's how much Best Buy and Amazon have it for at least). This is like Dischord Record prices circa 15 years ago.

• this doesn't bother me... I think i like soft raps.

just being honest here.

you're not alone. Funk Flex just did a lil 15 min set previewing a bunch of his new tracks. Beats sounded sick. Who's on production here? I was really feeling this one cut (not the lily allen one), only heard one verse and a hook, but it definitely left me wanting to hear the rest.

Can't say that his lyrics have much virtuosity anymore, but I appreciate that he reps being virtuous.

• ^^^^^READS US AND PEOPLE MAG SO HE CAN GET THE SCOOP

I work at US Weekly...

• Just an aside, but I'm kind of blown away by the fact that this Common album is the #1 album in the US right now.[/b]

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    i liked this song better when black sheep did it

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    reps being virtuous.

• reps being virtuous.

you sleepin through coltrane too, right?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i dont love trane for his 'virtue'

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

this doesn't bother me... I think i like soft raps.

just being honest here.

you're not alone. Funk Flex just did a lil 15 min set previewing a bunch of his new tracks. Beats sounded sick. Who's on production here? I was really feeling this one cut (not the lily allen one), only heard one verse and a hook, but it definitely left me wanting to hear the rest.

Can't say that his lyrics have much virtuosity anymore, but I appreciate that he reps being virtuous.

Didn't Kanye produce the whole LP? I like everything I've heard ie The Game and For The People.

Virtually everyone in this thread is made of cake. With pink batch frosting.

• Just an aside, but I'm kind of blown away by the fact that this Common album is the #1 album in the US right now.[/b]

Uh... yeah that too. I didn't even know he had a new album out until yesterday, to be honest. I just didn't want to come off as out of touch as I am about these things.

• i dont love trane for his 'virtue'

I'm half playin. but you half to admit, in contrast to the 60's when half the world was throwing on a dashiki and talking about higher goals, today we got few idealists to pick from. at least ones that are getting any type of shine.

and also, you should know that trane couldn't play how he played if it wasn't for selflessness.

i dont love trane for his 'virtue'

I'm half playin. but you half to admit, in contrast to the 60's when half the world was throwing on a dashiki and talking about higher goals, today we got few idealists to pick from. at least ones that are getting any type of shine.

and also, you should know that trane couldn't play how he played if it wasn't for selflessness.

I don't know what you find particularly virtuous about Common or his music.

He's chasing that paper just like everyone else. Otherwise, he'd have recorded Electric Terdcus pts. 2 & 3, insteading of kowtowing to the outrage of his fans and giving them something readily digestible and thoroughly unchallenging.

• I don't know what you find particularly virtuous about Common or his music.

He's chasing that paper just like everyone else. Otherwise, he'd have recorded Electric Terdcus pts. 2 & 3, insteading of kowtowing to the outrage of his fans and giving them something readily digestible and thoroughly unchallenging.

so you've come to accept your inner pink frosting? how delightful!

dood bro, common raps about yoga.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Virtually everyone in this thread is made of cake. With pink batch frosting.

Haha man at this stage in my life I can relate to dude more than most shit right now and I'm fine with that (unlike some folks).

We all know some of his lyrics are , but he's never been anything but Common. I don't know what some of you were expecting from this record.

I'll never understand how so many of you can champion the most ignorant shit and clown when someone makes a positive record.

[Deej] NOT "BLACK ENOUGH [/Deej]

• ^^^^
    hell yes

We all know some of his lyrics are , but he's never been anything but Common. I don't know what some of you were expecting from this record.

I'll never understand how so many of you can champion the most ignorant shit and clown when someone makes a positive record.

Dude, how can you stand up for this record? The three tracks that were out in advance are cool, but the rest is just gerber for his fans. It's the most pathetically calculated pablum I can imagine. It's a complete waste of his talents.

If you like it, then like it for what it is aesthetically, but don't try to use "positivity" as an excuse for subpar music.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Dude, how can you stand up for this record? The three tracks that were out in advance are cool, but the rest is just gerber for his fans. It's the most pathetically calculated pablum I can imagine. It's a complete waste of his talents.

If you like it, then like it for what it is aesthetically, but don't try to use "positivity" as an excuse for subpar music.

I agree, at this stage he's just re-hashing shit (I called this record "BE -" when I first heard it), but his "message" for lack of a better word, is part of the whole package and is also part of the reason why I'm feeling the record.
    There's some joints on there no doubt, but there are some solid songs as well. When was the last time you heard a 100% solid album?

The bottom line is, dude has to get paid. He can't make another Resurrection for commercial and creative reasons. I don't think he has that fire in him to even make a record like that, but you've gotta get in where you fit in. Some do it by selling death and murder, he's doing it another way and apparently it's working.

I agree, at this stage he's just re-hashing shit (I called this record "BE -" when I first heard it), but his "message" for lack of a better word, is part of the whole package and is also part of the reason why I'm feeling the record.
    There's some joints on there no doubt, but there are some solid songs as well. When was the last time you heard a 100% solid album?

A week later when I bought the UGK joint?