funk records in Taiwan

DJ_ZuluDJ_Zulu 2 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I'm living in Taipei since july and i want to start some diggin' here, but i really don't know how to begin. Do you know any vinyl store or some good chinese/taiwanese funky, latin, disco or jazzy stuff to find?Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Seriously stop beating around the bush and buy a portable recordplayer and go hunting!

Ask all the locals you meet: Taxidrivers, the clerk in the suppermarket, girls on the street, the local priest, music shops, musicians etc etc. Put up posters in local language and maybe even put an ad in the paper with contact-info.

There's no easy way for finding records!

Let us know what you find.

Best,

Dress

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Seriously stop beating around the bush and ask dj sheep

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Seriously stop beating around the bush and search the fucking forum[/b]

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Seriously stop beating around the bush and search the fucking forum[/b]

Seriously.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure "where can I find funky records in China/Taiwan" posts are, by far, the most common for any geographical location in the world.

This has been an old argument that I'll just repeat: neither society has turned out, to me, anything worth looking for in terms of funk-influenced production styles. I think it's a waste of time. And this is absolutely no disrespect to Sheep - whose digging skillz are not to be fucked with - but the stuff he's played for the site from Taiwan and China just don't strike me as "you need to scour night markets and backstore bootleg shops for this shit." Some of the HK stuff seemed to vaguely hold out more promise, but even then.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I got a few joints that are extraordinary for Taiwan, but on a world level, it just ain't on the level.

Theres *TONS* of record stores in Taiwan, I got cards for them, but not with me here in the UK where I'm living (sorry Zulu). I found some good US records there like Roy Porter Inner Feelings, Pete Jolly Seasons, lots of rare hip-hop stuff, etc.

I have about 50 records from Taiwan, there's the infamous "cow" break which is actually very nuts, some similar fuzz shit like San Ul Lim, and tons of production type psych-pop things, and some funky chinese traditional songs, but nothing that's gunna hold up to some Roy Ayers production in the slightest... and at the end of the day quality is quality... the more I think about it, I buy records in those countrys where funk isn't prevalent, moreso for souvineurs + when I was in Taiwan, I had lots of spare time, so diggin' was just grinding away the stress of the torture at my job with Ministry of Sound Taiwan...

Odizzy is right...

+ search the forum, this has been answered and talked about before... funny enuff O-Dubs response and my response are pretty much the same as the old post.

+ don't register and just ask a question, contribute to the forum plaese... WELCOME! Introduce yourself...

peace.

• registered in '05.....!

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

man look for Dvd's instead... I got myself the WHOLE Russ Meyer "body" of work