J.R. BAILEY: Just Me 'N' You

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Just scored this today at an outdoor flea market for something like $2 (even though I know it actually commands more money than that). No "late pass" needed - I actually had a few of these songs previously on singles (on Toy), but this is the first time I scored the LP (which appears on an entirely different label, the London-distributed MAM). Shockingly good soft-soul album, from right in the zone where black music was changing - not disco-ish enough for what they now call "modern soul," but still pretty sophisticated for the time. It sounds right in line with Angelo Bond's Bondage and Ronnie McNeir's self-titled album on Prodigal (w/"Wendy Is Gone"). I've heard the title track before, on a Gilles Peterson compilation, but it just about got lost in the middle of all that proto-smooth jazz. Here, it shines in better company.And considering that some of these songs were already a couple of years old at the time, Just Me 'N' You hangs together like a genuine ALBUM, as if it were all recorded during the same sessions. This truly deserves a full-scale reissue with liner notes and the whole shot (even if Bailey isn't alive to see it happen, unfortunately).Come to think of it, hasn't Scorpio re-pressed this on vinyl?

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Nice score, JP. This is a nice LP. It's right on the cusp of Modern, but as a whole, I don't think it fully crosses over. Definitely a Marvin influence - in a good way (meaning, not in an overly-imitative manner).

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I really need to hear this record. I think Drew posted it up a while back but I slept.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Nice score, JP.

Got this at the Maxwell St. Market this morning. Ran into Chris C. there, and we both agreed that it was pretty lame, record-wise. I did find a few decent "pieces," as they say, but that was like finding diamonds in a coal mine. Even though I did walk away with some good stuff (including Lou Donaldson's Mr. Shing-A-Ling and a Rev. Cleophus Robinson 45 on Nashboro), the J.R. Bailey LP and a 1966 issue of Ebony with the Ronettes on the cover were the big come-ups today.

This is a nice LP. It's right on the cusp of Modern, but as a whole, I don't think it fully crosses over. Definitely a Marvin influence - in a good way (meaning, not in an overly-imitative manner).

Yeah, if What's Going On was about romance instead of politics, it'd sound like this J.R. Bailey album we're talking about.

• I've seen this LP around the Chicagolands three times and I'm sure it wasn't the same LP making roundtrips to my house. I don't go looking for records but I do wander everywhere like a tourist. It feels a bit rough in these parts for a female to ball out on records alone. 1 out of 3 finds was even in NM condition but went into the arms of another as a kind act of record love. The other two times, they were in the same condition of my Toy Record 45s. VG but still plays good for my earspeakers and I'm content with that. I haven't heard of the scorpio reissue release. It certainly has remained on my top favorite local sounds. I'd marry J.R. Bailey Music in a heartbeat. (as a metaphor) I would also like some Baileys with vanilla ice cream over a bowl of ice.

It certainly has remained on my top favorite local sounds.

I think Bailey was from New York (he earlier sang with Harlem doowoppers the Cadillacs), but whatever his point of origin, he definitely deserved to be bigger than he was. He had another album (Love & Conversation), but it's from the disco era, so naturally I'm a-scared to check it out.

• Disco Baileys. I would check it out because I have yet to find some Disco I can appreciate. I guess I thought he was Chicago with the Toy Records labels. I also remember the LP listed on ebay sometime in the recent winter as Chicago related (and by a reliable seller). I was trying to guess prices for the record. I also seen the LP in these parts so I just assumed the wrong of connections.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Bailey is just a beautiful soul album. One of my favorites by far and one that I'm surprised hasn't been reissued or booted more (or has it?)

Personally, I like Bailey's version of "Love, Love, Love" on there more than the one Donnie Hathaway recorded (it's Bailey's composition but Donny recorded it first).

"After Hours" is

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    on the above - it's a lovely lovely record and one that should be more championed than it is.

• it's been reissued by soul brother in the uk on lp/cd, and previously in japan both formats. his other lp is not a disco lp, its more jazzy and contains covers of standards on the whole, as well as one track in the same style as the jmny lp. its a nice lp, worth checking along with a string of non-lp 45's ('love won't wear off as the years wear on' being the cream i'd guess).

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I really need to hear this record. I think Drew posted it up a while back but I slept.

J.R. Bailey - Just Me 'N You (Re-up) vinyl rip @ 160. Wish the bit rate was higher, but it'll do the job.

Day, FYI - your PMs are full

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    amazing record.
    what are they going for on the bay these days?
    if i remember right it was not that expensive? like 50-100$?

what are they going for on the bay these days?
    if i remember right it was not that expensive? like 50-100$?

Basically. And the cleaner copies tend to hover around $150. Worth it.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Love this record too! Its always been out of my price range.. so the MPfrees have done me well. Sounds like a poor man's Gaye.

• Bailey did a lot of behind the scenes work if I'm not mistaken - he wrote and produced most of this LP too?

One of my favorite soul LPs ever, bar none. Tough as nails to find too.

• one of the greatest soul lps from the 70s - an album to listen to every song - like Lou Courtney - I'm in the need of Love.

I'm still missing a cover to my lp - so if anybody has an empty cover or also a lp (cover plus records) available please PM

• been hovering at the top of my wants list for a while now.
    those dramatic guitars are the shit!

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    pickwick - yeah that's an incredible record. been on my wants list for a long time - i don't know what the sound quality of the soul brother reissue is like compared to the original but i might go for that if i don't find the OG.
    i'd say this record is more like 'i want you' era marvin - that phased clavinet is killer... i'm sure i remember reading that the songs were written and recorded by J R Bailey on very basic equipment, then the other instrumentation was added later. of course, that could be complete rubbish..

Personally, I like Bailey's version of "Love, Love, Love" on there more than the one Donnie Hathaway recorded (it's Bailey's composition but Donny recorded it first).

Man, gotta disagree with this. I think Hathaway's is the definitive rendition.

"After Hours" is

My favorite song to listen to after a hard day at the workpiece.

• I prefer to think of the two versions as complimentary. I have a tape where I run them back to back and I have to say I am hard-pressed to decide which one I like more. This album is one of those select few albums that lives up to its hype/price-tag. I am a huge fan of the tune "Heaven on Earth" as well. The record is just pitch-perfect: it's on the sentimental side without being overblown or cheesy and the backing tracks really are put together just right.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    incredible record. uk's soul brother did a legit reissue earlier this year.

Man, gotta disagree with this. I think Hathaway's is the definitive rendition.

I think both are good but personally, compared to Bailey's take on his own song, I found Donny's a little overproduced. Just a matter of taste.

Just to cosign - I see the album go for about $100 consistently and I think it's worth every penny of that price tag.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Bailey did a lot of behind the scenes work if I'm not mistaken - he wrote and produced most of this LP too?

He was heavily involved in that devilishly raer Reflections LP I got from you awhile back.

Also provided backing vocals on Ralfi Pagan's I Can See LP.

His second LP has one really great track on it.

This album is one of those select few albums that lives up to its hype/price-tag. I am a huge fan of the tune "Heaven on Earth" as well. The record is just pitch-perfect: it's on the sentimental side without being overblown or cheesy and the backing tracks really are put together just right.

Even the spoken dialog that turns up here and there is tastefully humorous without ruining the mood (love the part where he catches a cab to his girlfriend's place)...

A classic Bailey single on Toy that wasn't comped on this LP: "Too Far Gone To Turn Around," which was the flipside to either "Love, Love, Love" or "After Hours," I forget which...

• this is his calla 45 from before the 1st lp in a similar style but a rougher production. enjoy.

http://download.yousendit.com/C31C86CA71D27187

the 2nd lp 'love and conversation' track in the same style to look out for is 'that's love'.

he also wrote the classic stepper erasmus hall 'just me'n'you' amongst other fine recordings.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

J.R. Bailey - Just Me 'N You (Re-up) vinyl rip @ 160. Wish the bit rate was higher, but it'll do the job.

Thank you! I really want to hear it after reading this thread.

Day, FYI - your PMs are full

he also wrote the classic stepper erasmus hall 'just me'n'you' amongst other fine recordings.

..including "Everybody Plays The Fool" by the Main Ingredient

• That song sticks on loop everytime I think about going in the car after a few drinks. J.R. Bailey knows how to write and sing about things I lack. Yeah I do have a legit CD reissue which is from Japan. I had to have bought it in sometime between '91 and '98. Because I don't think I bought my own music until then. An older man running a shop in a little town outside Tokyo got me into this sound. "Little girl, you need this." It's so good to me. Just like that Steve Parks do. I don't get tired of it.

Bailey did a lot of behind the scenes work if I'm not mistaken - he wrote and produced most of this LP too?

He was heavily involved in that devilishly raer Reflections LP I got from you awhile back.

The one with "She's My Summer Breeze"? Or another one by theM?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Only a couple songs in so far, but I'm really interested in who the personnel was on this record?
    I can definitely see the comparisons to Marvin. Especially in the first cut "After Hours". The key changes, instrumentation and even some of his vocals sound like "Save the Children". It kind of put me off at first, but after hearing "Heaven On Earth" I see there's more to this album.

I've also gotta side with Drew on the Donnie cover*. This version is good, but the OG is far superior.

*Drew, there's a skip in there!

I've also gotta side with Drew on the Donnie cover*. This version is good, but the OG is far superior.

*Drew, there's a skip in there!

Oh yeaaaah, whoops...I always skip past Love, Love, Love, so that's what it bees like.