engineers/producers - What do you 2 Track to?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
What does your final stereo recording take place on? I use an HHB CD-R recorder or a sony DAT recorder. Anyone using analog tape? ADAT? Peak/Wavelab/Soundforge? whats good?

Comments

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    I officiall stopped DAT 2 years ago...I kept the SONY player but i dont plan to use it anymore. I used to track everything on 2" reels when i used to mix on SSL. But i surel stopped using SSL over the time and develop a taste for the control 24 and plug-ins. Its also a mtter of cost obviously because im an avid SSL fan. But record companies don't wanna spend SSL money anymore...lol.
    Nowadays i'm barely recording my stuffs. I keep 5 external HD to store all the sessions and patiently wait for the CD to be released. I also do that to avoid ANY copies. I had previous problems so now i have a set-up when copies are being made. I put some tracker in the song that allows me to know where the copy came from. Leakage is a bitch...

• recently:
    for 2trk, staying predominantly in protools/the box these days.
    been using wavelab too, when available (pc), for smaller mastering-type tasks.

otherwise at my own quick disposal:

panasonic sv3700 (DAT)

tascam 32 (1/4")

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i just export a stereo mix out of Cubase to a .wav, then burn a cd of the wav and go listen in the car. repeat until the track sounds good. im miles away from the preferred warm analogue styles, but the technology is pretty much workin for me.

i do have an alesis masterlink cd burner thats great for playing with track ordering and trimming silence, loudness levels, etc. non-computer mastering type stuff, in an age when i could just find the right software and do that in the box too. but we get used to what works, etc.

• I bounce to stereo interwoven or multiple mono aif files.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    depends on the project. usta use the 2-bus for the analog sum, and the printed it in pro tools. did one all tape project demaned 1/4" print. really though, depends on what you want. for personal use, i sum everything inside the comp then run it through a spring reverb. surprisingly does wonders.