I almost got into a fight......

2»

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm on my way out to dig, but tonight after the right amount of lubrication I'll share some stories about things I've witnessed on the playground.

Might make our man Y think twice next time he's on the court.

• When I worked at an after school program I saw a dude get shot in the head over some trash talk on the court. He survived.

I taught a class on recording at a community center. Half of it was open to the neighborhood, the other half was the program.

At the end of the semester, I took my class to the studio to record. When we got back to the center we witness a fight in the hallway and then pap!!! Fools shot homie in the head and cut his face, in front of a bunch of jr. high aged kids.

Dude that got shot was Tongan so I guess his thick skull saved his like. Bullet wedged in the bone.

I found out that they were playing in the court when shit got heated over some shit talk. They decided to take it outside but before they got there, kid got shot.

I keep my mouth shut. Most the time.

• I'm on my way out to dig, but tonight after the right amount of lubrication

Um... pause?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Batmon....have you ever played there??
    Yes, but not against the real bangers,much less a tournament.

One of my b-ball moments is blocking James Speedy Williams shot in a BX tournament. He was brought on as a whatchmacallit - "ringer" maybe. You know a street legends/star to help out on the opposing team.
    Dude is nice, but i got a piece of his shit.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    but I know Jordan Farmar".

Yuichi: location or you're soft.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Yuichi,

No offense, but you sound soft. Outside of excessive hard-fouling (the type in which you hit the hard blacktop), shit talk never phased me. In my ball-playin' heyday, I just served up dudes, though I might say some shit in response to a hater mad that he's gettin' done up. Occasionally, I might look at a dude after funkin' on his ass (Breakaway rim: Klick-klank!!!!; Crowd: Ooooooooh shit, he funked on him!!!!!!). Those were the days before marriage and (correspondingly) gaining mad pounds .

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    In my ball-playin' heyday, I just served up dudes, though I might say some shit in response to a hater mad that he's gettin' done up. Occasionally, I might look at a dude after funkin' on his ass (Breakaway rim: Klick-klank!!!!; Crowd: Ooooooooh shit, he funked on him!!!!!!). Those were the days before marriage and (correspondingly) gaining mad pounds .

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I took the bait, after some hard fouls, stepped up and confronted him

Never...NEVER let em get in your head. That's sports fundamentals, dog.

My boy used to try to talk shit like Tim Hardaway on the court. Im not fuckin w/ that behavior.
    My game does the talkin for me.

Oh no doubt. I always let my game do the talking.
    But in any case, things should change once I start working again on Monday.

Times have changed or L.A. is soft...

In NYC back in the day a gun would have been pulled on your ass quicker than you could say..."But, but, but I know Jordan Farmar".

Talkin' trash while playing streetball is reserved for those who are 6:7, 250 lbs and don't mind doing a little time upstate.

And I'll suggest that if there weren't at least 10 guys standing around holding cans/bottles in paper bags you were playing in the suburbs.

You dudes got it twisted. Some Asian nerds who think they run the court were whining all throughout. Not to mention, they would be excessively fouling either me or my buddy on almost every play towards the end. It's virtually impossible to score when you're being fouled even before you get to the rack.

Either way, if I knew some dudes were carrying gats, my punk ass would know better than to talk shit.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    on the basketball court. Lately I've just been "losing it" a lot on the court. Due to too much time on my hands and having a chip on my shoulder. Almost every other time in fact. I have anger management issues. For example today, these two UCLA-looking nerds, kept talking all throughout the game. Yap yap yap yap yap. Typical non-balling whiners. I took the bait, after some hard fouls, stepped up and confronted him. "He said what are you gonna do?" and so I just shoved him with both hands.
    Should've just decked this dude. You ever regret not punching someone?

Now, usually I never step to people, but this dude just would NOT shut up. My trash talk game was pretty on point today though. Some goodies were:

"JUST SHUT UP AND PLAY!"

"YOU GOOFY-ASS LOOKING MOTHERFUCKER!"

"You couldn't even SEE the play cuz of yo skinny ass eyes!"

"You're a fuckin' nerd!"

At this point, there was a decent gallery surrounding this on-court madness. I reluctantly played a 2 on 2, with me and my buddy against them. We were up 6-2, game point, but they fouled us on every play, and I couldn't finish the game. Usually, I'm able to back this kinda shit up. We lost, it sucked. But we won the 5 on 5's.

Who cares?

CO-SINE

Sometimes, my team would be down. The other dudes would be chuckling, being all cocky and shit. I'd get a monster block and yell "that shit outta here". (out of frustration) Then dudes get asshurt and wanna do 1 on 1 as the others stand around. You know how that goes.

I've never got into street fights, etcx2. I've always had the mentality that basketball is a good outlet for aggression, much like rap battles or what have you. After the shit talking is done on both ends, the loser shuts up and the winner does too. Pick-up games can get physical, and ofcourse I pick my spots to talk shit.

If dudes were carrying around gats, then yes i'd "let it go", but who knows, "I've never been a good loser" especially when it comes to ball, or anything for that matter...

• I would say that you are a very good loser.

• I would say that you are a very good loser.

• you guys are comparing rucker park to some westwood playground? come on now. all the comparable courts in LA dont even have hoops on the backboards.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    The thing is, you don't know who is carrying gats.

That's why you shut the fuck up, unless you like playing russian roulette.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

My trash talk game was pretty on point today though. Some goodies were:

"JUST SHUT UP AND PLAY!"

"YOU GOOFY-ASS LOOKING MOTHERFUCKER!"

"You couldn't even SEE the play cuz of yo skinny ass eyes!"

"You're a fuckin' nerd!"

you guys are comparing rucker park to some westwood playground? come on now. all the comparable courts in LA dont even have hoops on the backboards.

Seriously. Or more likely nets.

The thing is, you don't know who is carrying gats.

That's why you shut the fuck up, unless you like playing russian roulette.

Read Shig's comment.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    yuichi is this that electro show you were talking about?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

yuichi is vicious on them courts...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    dudes get asshurt and wanna do 1 on 1 as the others stand around. You know how that goes.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    For example today, these two UCLA-looking nerds[/b] ...Yap yap yap yap yap.

"UCLA-looking nerds"? Is that code for small, nerdish asian dudes?

Kind of weak sauce if you're starting fights with Harold and Kumar.