Gilles P. digs America Vol.2

inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
i really liked the first volume, as it had some really interesting & obscure songs on it. tracklisting of volume 2 looks nice as well, maybe a little more standard. but what the hell about that "bethlehem progressive ensemble" & "Musicians from the Summer Program for Youthful Musicians" ??never heard of it before. drop some knowledge.01. Lorez Alexandria - I???m Wishin???02. Bethlehem Progressive Ensemble - Make Way (Call To Worship)03. Irene Kral - Goin To California04. Mary Lou Williams - You Know Baby05. Carrie Cleveland - Make Love To Me06. Dee Edwards - Why Can???t There Be Love?07. RAMP - The Old One, Two08. The Diddys Feat. Paige Douglas - Intergalactic Love Song09. Ray Camacho - Movin' On10. Steve Parks - Sadness In My Samba11. Gap Mangione - Boys With Toys12. Reverie - In Every Way13. DB Shrier - East14. James Tatum - Introduction/Lord Have Mercy15. Al Jarreau - My Favorite Things16. The Love Affair - Never In My Life17. Mary Lou Williams - Pussy???s In The Well18. Musicians from the Summer Program for Youthful Musicians - BroughamLP x Digital Bonus: The Pyramids - Nsorama

Comments

• Thanks for the tracklist invrs! Ill try to shed some light on a few cuts.

01. Lorez Alexandria - I???m Wishin???
    first release on the pzazz label; great jazzballad w/ almost hiphop-like beats

04. Mary Lou Williams - You Know Baby
    i believe this is a rare 45 on her mary label

07. RAMP - The Old One, Two
    rediscovered / revived material; see wax poetics article.

08. The Diddys Feat. Paige Douglas - Intergalactic Love Song
    a cover of the charles earland track?

10. Steve Parks - Sadness In My Samba
    early 45 only release

14. James Tatum - Introduction/Lord Have Mercy
    from his jazz mass lp

15. Al Jarreau - My Favorite Things
    from his much to hard to find 1964 sessions

LP x Digital Bonus: The Pyramids - Nsorama
    heavy spiritual jazz - paging ashrock and parsec for more knowledge

but... where is the unreleased Callier stuff? [/b]

• Reverie!
    thats from these parts

is that pic from waxtrax in denver?

• sounds like another Gilles Peterson presents to you: stuff that other people gave to him

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Reverie!
    thats from these parts

is that pic from waxtrax in denver?

COuld be but I'm thinking it's the 45 room from a certain record store in Mill Valley.

I think this is as eclectic as vol 1, at least at first glane. I'm not clear why he'd put two Mary Lou Williams songs on the same comp but I dig her stuff so I can't really compalin.

GP seems to have a particular affection for Bay Area soul (Darondo, Carrie Cleveland, Steve Parks). I can only assume the latter two (if not three) came out of the Groove Merchant, especially the Carrie Cleveland. I figured someone was going to comp that 45 at some point - makes sense it'd be on Luv N Haight.

That RAMP song is just "ok." Provided, it's an unreleaed song from back in the day but I didn't find it much to write home about.

Otherwise, I look forward to peeping this. I thought Vol. 1 was fantastic.

i really liked the first volume, as it had some really interesting & obscure songs on
    it. tracklisting of volume 2 looks nice as well, maybe a little more standard. but what the hell about that "bethlehem progressive ensemble" & "Musicians from the Summer Program for Youthful Musicians" ??
    never heard of it before. drop some knowledge.

01. Lorez Alexandria - I???m Wishin???
    02. Bethlehem Progressive Ensemble - Make Way (Call To Worship)
    03. Irene Kral - Goin To California
    04. Mary Lou Williams - You Know Baby
    05. Carrie Cleveland - Make Love To Me
    06. Dee Edwards - Why Can???t There Be Love?
    07. RAMP - The Old One, Two
    09. Ray Camacho - Movin' On
    10. Steve Parks - Sadness In My Samba
    11. Gap Mangione - Boys With Toys
    12. Reverie - In Every Way
    13. DB Shrier - East
    14. James Tatum - Introduction/Lord Have Mercy
    15. Al Jarreau - My Favorite Things
    16. The Love Affair - Never In My Life
    17. Mary Lou Williams - Pussy???s In The Well
    18. Musicians from the Summer Program for Youthful Musicians - Brougham
    LP x Digital Bonus: The Pyramids - Nsorama

• whats the track listing for vol.1??

o,does look like that millvalley spot. i walked in there with no prior knowledge and saw records everywhee....my eyes lit the hell up. walked out 90 minutes later empty handed

• volume 1:

1 Darondo Didn't I
    2 Moses Dillard Tribute To Wes
    3 Marva Josie He Does It Better
    4 Lonnie Hewitt And The Little Sisters & Co. Ya Ya Cha Cha
    5 Jon Lucien Search For Inner Self
    6 Bobby Cole A Perfect Day
    7 Baaska & Scavelli Get Off The Ground
    8 Ellen McIlwaine Higher Ground
    9 Caroline Peyton Just As We
    10 Bob Cunningham Lover's Theme
    11 Ira Sullivan The Kingdom Within You
    12 J.R. Bailey Just Me 'N' You
    13 World Experience Orchestra, The The Prayer
    14 Harold McKinney Ode To Africa
    15 Forty Seven Times Its Own Weight March Of The Goober Woobers
    16 Ensemble Al Salaam, The Circles

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    yeah thats village. i think their last day open is sept 20th or something like that. sad...

plus, that steve parks is on the reynolds 45 but also came out on the lp from solid smoke.

i would assume that giles uses bay stuff that ubiquity already has the rights for so its easier for them to put on the comp.

nice set of tunes though.

yeah thats village. i think their last day open is sept 20th or something like that. sad...

plus, that steve parks is on the reynolds 45 but also came out on the lp from solid smoke.

i would assume that giles uses bay stuff that ubiquity already has the rights for so its easier for them to put on the comp.

nice set of tunes though.

I don't think Ubiquity has rights to the Reynolds stuff across the board, does it? Or maybe just the Steve Parks stuff?

Someone *cough cough* needs to do that Reynolds anthology soon.

And shit - Village is going out of business? Man...that's really one of the great, great record stores out there. A real treasure.

i meant more the ray camacho and the darondo. pretty sure carrie cleveland still owns her own stuff (rather her husband did but hes been deceased) and art reynolds owns his own stuff too.

and i cosign on the reynolds label release. he did some real nice recordings that never saw the light of day. hopefully someone locally who owns a record store and is very cool should be putting it out eventually.

i meant more the ray camacho and the darondo. pretty sure carrie cleveland still owns her own stuff (rather her husband did but hes been deceased) and art reynolds owns his own stuff too.

and i cosign on the reynolds label release. he did some real nice recordings that never saw the light of day. hopefully someone locally who owns a record store and is very cool should be putting it out eventually.

Yeah, for Chris(t)'s sake - get on that already!

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    sounds like another Gilles Peterson presents to you: stuff that other people gave to him

and he didn't even play or write any of the songs either!!

• And shit - Village is going out of business? Man...that's really one of the great, great record stores out there. A real treasure.

damn, hadn't heard that news. that was my high school spot. bought some of my very first CTI raers there. used to go crazy during the annual 50% off everything sale (4th of july?). Last time I was there I was digging next to carlos santana. that's really sad.

Gap Mangione??? never heard anything listenable form that cat.

• paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts

but... where is the unreleased Callier stuff? [/b]

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

Gap Mangione??? never heard anything listenable form that cat.

most of his tracks have some really nice moments, but i m still waiting for a mangione song that is dope from start to finsih.
    anyway, "its the official.."

o,does look like that millvalley spot. i walked in there with no prior knowledge and saw records everywhee....my eyes lit the hell up. walked out 90 minutes later empty handed

That was usually my experience going in there too. I could never figure out why people rep it as one of the great record stores. Maybe there was some great stuff in there way back in the day. But actual great record stores replenish their stock with quality records, even after Jinx74 or DJ Shadow or whomever have raided the stock.

• sounds like another Gilles Peterson presents to you: stuff that other people gave to him

i just think that his compilations are totally boring. like a best of from current internet sales lists.

whats the track listing for vol.1??

That was usually my experience going in there too. I could never figure out why people rep it as one of the great record stores. Maybe there was some great stuff in there way back in the day. But actual great record stores replenish their stock with quality records, even after Jinx74 or DJ Shadow or whomever have raided the stock.

I don't know how many times you tried going through but their stock got replenished quite often. I used to go there maybe 3-4 times a year and sure, sometimes I wouldn't find stuff. Other times, I'd snap up a lot of great stuff. To me, it was one of the more consistent record stores in the Bay Area, by far.

• paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts

he also did a podcast playing snippets of the tracks

http://www.gillespetersonworldwide.com/podcasts/gilles_peterson-vol01-no10.mp3

1 - james tatum - lord have mercy
    2 - gap mangione - boys with toys
    3 - bethlehem progressive ensemble - call to worship
    4 - irene kral - goin to california
    5 - steve parks - sadness in my samba
    6 - jon lucien - search for the inner self
    7 - flirtations - nothing but a heartache
    8 - dee edwards - can't there be love
    9 - moses dillard - tribute to wes
    10 - james rivers - its all over
    11 - lorez alexandria - I'm wishin
    12 - mary lou williams - pussy's in the wall
    13 - ray camancho - movin on 13- the diddys - intergalactic love song 14- ramp - the old one two
    14 - 47 times its own weight- march of the goober wooblers
    15 - the pyramids - nsorama
    16 - db schrier - east

sounds like another Gilles Peterson presents to you: stuff that other people gave to him

i just think that his compilations are totally boring. like a best of from current internet sales lists.

To each their own. I really liked his "Digs America Vol 1".

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

common, gilles digs america aint that bad. i agree, some of his compilations have been pretty weak. but there are still people out there who dont really care about record collecting but want to listen some good & fresh, unknown music. some of them may never know that the original record is worth hundreds of dollars and that u`ll need 2 years to track it down. they might not even know what is a raer!

nice opportunity to highlight some forgotten pieces imho. and i dont think gilles is getting rich with this.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    09. Ray Camacho - Movin' On

I put this on a cd compilation for Bill Brewster aka Ladyboygrimsby during one of our secret Santa exchanges about 4 years ago. He bugged out over, said he asked a bunch of UK heavy hitters if they knew of it and had no luck. When I found a second copy (also at a thrift store) I sent it to him on the strength.

I miss that dude.

• ubiquity has like at least 9 releases set to drop for the rest of this year so who knows. I know some unreleased RAMP stuff is going to drop for sure though.

I can't really get behind this.

It's not a boutique, nor is it some ever-yielding shangri-la of underpriced raers, but I always (used to) hit it when I came to town and always walked away with something special. Whether it was as simple as Billy Stewart "I Do Love You" LP, as cool as United States Of America, or as obscure as the "Rock Creek Park" 12" (UK and OZ only release) there was always something. And it was usually clean and under $10.

I can't say I didn't consistently do better elsewhere (Rasputins), or that I was consistently amazed by the sheer rarity on display (Groove Merchant), and maybe getting out of the central Bay Area is not as novel to guys that still live there but for me it was always worth the trip.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

I found this LP at the Jersey Shore this summer. Really good Charles Earland production on this LP. Surprised he dropped it.

People are up on this right?

It's not a boutique, nor is it some ever-yielding shangri-la of underpriced raers, but I always (used to) hit it when I came to town and always walked away with something special. Whether it was as simple as Billy Stewart "I Do Love You" LP, as cool as United States Of America, or as obscure as the "Rock Creek Park" 12" (UK and OZ only release) there was always something. And it was usually clean and under $10.

I can't say I didn't consistently do better elsewhere (Rasputins), or that I was consistently amazed by the sheer rarity on display (Groove Merchant), and maybe getting out of the central Bay Area is not as novel to guys that still live there but for me it was always worth the trip.

And more than whatever you walked away with, it was just a great STORE. It wasn't a massive, everything-and-the-kitchen-sink store like Amoeba. It wasn't some crazy dingy basement dive. It wasn't run by a bunch of douche bag, hipper-than-thou, knownothing 20-somethings. You walk in and the place is immense, it has music/record paraphenalia literally hanging from the rafters and you get the sense that whoever runs this place genuinely loves records and has spent decades assembling an incredible collection of different genres and styles. I mean, dude had 3-4 bins of just school band albums and whether or not you find some crazy heat in there or not, that's a rather remarkable achievement in and of itself.

Plus, the drive back from MV into San Francisco is just one of the most breathtaking things you'll ever get.

Village Music is that spot. I recommend people take a trip before they close if you've never made it out before.

And more than whatever you walked away with, it was just a great STORE. It wasn't a massive, everything-and-the-kitchen-sink store like Amoeba. It wasn't some crazy dingy basement dive. It wasn't run by a bunch of douche bag, hipper-than-thou, knownothing 20-somethings. You walk in and the place is immense, it has music/record paraphenalia literally hanging from the rafters and you get the sense that whoever runs this place genuinely loves records and has spent decades assembling an incredible collection of different genres and styles. I mean, dude had 3-4 bins of just school band albums and whether or not you find some crazy heat in there or not, that's a rather remarkable achievement in and of itself.

Plus, the drive back from MV into San Francisco is just one of the most breathtaking things you'll ever get.

Village Music is that spot. I recommend people take a trip before they close if you've never made it out before.

john made that shop what it was. hes the one that, over the decades he was there, put up all those pictures/posters. the original shop was only the first 1/3 of his current shop. he expanded twice by knocking down parts of the particle wall.

my biggest worry is where will josh dig now? first k st now this!!!

• I have found so many amazing 45s at Village. One of my favorite stores ever. I wish John G and the homie Gary all the best, they are good folks.

• And more than whatever you walked away with, it was just a great STORE.

I love how he always kept the cajun and zydeco crate right in front whent you first walk in. I always felt like he was trying to convert people to the raw nola accordian business.

• Track listing looks a little unimaginative, but above all else....

CAN THE DUDE MAKE A COMP WITHOUT PUTTING HIS MUPPETY MUG ON THE COVER?

...it remains to be seen.