what is this thing called? (toy creature related)

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
somebody i knew was going to throw this guy away but i grabbed it. what are these called? it's bothering me that i can't remember

Comments

• pretty sure that's a large madball

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madballs

• wow, flashback.

• somebody i knew was going to throw this guy away but i grabbed it. what are these called? it's bothering me that i can't remember

dayum, I was just talkin to my boy yesterday about these things. I couldn't remember wha they were called though. It's like a puppet right? you can move the eyesaround and close/open the lids and mouth right?

maybe this sould be in the spare change thread, but I remember saving up the then princely sum of around $20 in nickels andpennies when I was young and going down to the local toy store to buy this dude. In the months of scrounging in the couch cusions, under floormats, etc, I would ride my bike down to the toy store and stare at these things for days. They originally came in a carboard cage w/ a plastic gate on the front.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    yes! thank you

• that's not a madball, thats a BOGLIN - you could put your hand in it (pause) and move the eyes and face around.

• here's a rundown on the toy with lots of scans

http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/449.html

the guys who make the Mishka shirts had video up of a boglin smoking a bowl but i can't find it.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    haha..boglins.

I had one of those too.

my bad

boglin it is

• Tons of knowledge being dropped.???

• HamHam 872 Posts
    i used to have mini boglins. can't find pictures online, but i think the were released in the mid-nineties. brings back memories!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

i'm glad someone figured this out. I had been getting a bunch of coworkers to look at the photo and nobody could remember what they were called. People were getting progressively more and more frustrated and were google-ing the hell out of everything trying to figure it out.

• here's a rundown on the toy with lots of scans

http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/449.html

the guys who make the Mishka shirts had video up of a boglin smoking a bowl but i can't find it.

I owned the original three series Vlobb, Dwork and Drool still in tact with their cages. I also had a rare bag-o-bones edition with the trick or treat bag but never got to use it because I didn't have the opportunity to grow up in a land where i could house-hop in a costume flirting for candy. I think my mom has this stored in some crate back home.

does anyone remember the strange smell from the rubber?

i'm glad someone figured this out. I had been getting a bunch of coworkers to look at the photo and nobody could remember what they were called. People were getting progressively more and more frustrated and were google-ing the hell out of everything trying to figure it out.

can you ask your co-workers if my cactus is dying?

Tons of knowledge being dropped.???

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

can you ask your co-workers if my cactus is dying?
    looks ok to me. those small ones are resiliant, you can just water them back from the dead in my experience.
    i think i used up my "hey everyone come look at the weird picture on my screen!!" ticket for the day though, and they would probably be pissed if i called them over to look at the same picture again.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Edith, have you been drinking?

I only ask because you are listening to Thinking Fellers Union Local 282

Edith, have you been drinking?

I only ask because you are listening to Thinking Fellers Union Local 282

wait, what? i have all of their records. and i think this means i have to fight you now.

did anyone watch that popples video i posted? because it really is terrifying

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    i think this means i have to fight you now.

naw, I wasn't dissing them - I honestly think of them
    as "drinkin' music" ... like Killdozer

In fact, I googled them after posting that, to see
    if they were still around, since I hadn't seen or heard
    of them in years ... and found this random factoid on
    wikipedia that their big "breakthrough" was supposed
    to have been when they toured in support of LIVE

"THE ANGEL OPENS ... HER ... EYYYYYEEESSS"[/b]

Imagine touring in support of THAT

oh, okay...good. never thought of them as drinking music but used to burn through shrubbery with a fury while listening to their albums.

i saw them play last around the time the bob dinners record came out. they were great live and realized i took these shows for granted because they would play pretty often here. i don't think they've officially disbanded but anne eickelberg moved to portland or some NW town a while ago.

for a second looking at the picture before reading, i thought that tful282 had opened up for dave gahan.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

DUDE

WOAH. At 0:27 - the father with the blonde hair - that's one of LD's business partners in the restaraunt in Curb Your Enthusiasm...

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    And if we're talking about fucked up toy commercials - this may still take the cake...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    And if we're talking about fucked up toy commercials - this may still take the cake...

It's not as bad as that infamous Super Soaker ad.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

It's not as bad as that infamous Super Soaker ad.

The Oozinator!!! I agree, that tops the wtf were they thinking toy

• somebody i knew was going to throw this guy away but i grabbed it. what are these called? it's bothering me that i can't remember

dayum, I was just talkin to my boy yesterday about these things. I couldn't remember wha they were called though. It's like a puppet right? you can move the eyesaround and close/open the lids and mouth right?

maybe this sould be in the spare change thread, but I remember saving up the then princely sum of around $20 in nickels andpennies when I was young and going down to the local toy store to buy this dude. In the months of scrounging in the couch cusions, under floormats, etc, I would ride my bike down to the toy store and stare at these things for days. They originally came in a carboard cage w/ a plastic gate on the front.

i was also talking to a homie bout this boglins i had some days ago! the only problem is he didnt know what the fuck i was talkin bout. maybe he used to play with barbies. i dont know