myspace comments vs. messages

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
maybe I am old.maybe I am grumpy.maybe I don't know what the kids do these days, but...does it bother anyone else when people ask you questions in the comments section of your myspace? Someone just sent me a message (a personal message) and asked me a question. I replied in a message. Then when she responded she posted it in the comments section. For some reason this makes no sense to me and bugs me. It's like calling your friend and asking him something on his answering machine. He calls back and leaves the response on your machine. You decide to reply to him, so you go over to his house and write on his garage.I don't have a personal myspace account, just an artist page, so it just seems odd to me that someone would want to have a converstation out in the open for everyone to see. Maybe that's just how the kids get people to click on their pages? I'm

Comments

• parenparen 537 Posts
    i wholeheartedly concur, but even more irritating to me are those friends who insist on keeping all communication via myspace mail instead of email when i respond thusly... double lame-o.

• deepbrnt is notorious for this

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i don't understand how fools can have whole conversations by posting comments. it's like they want people to see their conversation and look all important because they have a bazillion comments.

• I can't comment on this.

b/w

PLEASE POST IT IN MY COMMENTS.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    i don't understand how fools can have whole conversations by posting comments. it's like they want people to see their conversation and look all important because they have a bazillion comments.

yeah, I suspect people do this when they're lonely to prove to others (and possibly themselves) that they have friends. But then I can only imagine how sad they feel when they post "Anything popping off tonight?" to someone's page as a comment and don't get a comment back.

• I see this a lot. It bothers me a lot.

I have some friends who tend to have entire conversations via MySpace comments, many of which would be better served by text messages.

"You still jetlagged?"

Or

"OMG, so true!"

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i had a friend who kept posting 3rd grade riddles on my comments and i told her i hated them and just started deleting them. but she kept on going

what are comments supposed to be used for anyway? are they supposed to be testimonials for gauging your e-stalkability or something

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i think they make sense as a general low-pressure 'get at me sometime' to someone you don't talk to regularly ... they don't demand a reply like a private message or email does, i think.

that said folks use it to post specific and private shit all the time ... kind of annoying

• Options
    It's like calling your friend and asking him something on his answering machine. He calls back and leaves the response on your machine. You decide to reply to him, so you go over to his house and write on his garage

HAHAHA! I saw one the other day where all it said was "I'll be in Florida". I was mystified as to why that was there; what were they planning on doing that now couldn't get done, where in Florida was she going, was it vacation, business, did another comment prompt this response, FUCK, who does she know in Florida, do I know her, let me check her page, nice tits, why Florida?

One of my friends who only went on there because his wife DEMANDED that he have a myspace page would just post comments once in awhile on all of our pages that included menu items from our favorite local restaurant that posts a new menu online every day. He's since took his page down, and apparently they had a fight about it where according to him she dropped this classic gem: "You're basically telling all of my friends that you want no part of them."

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    deepbrnt is notorious for this
    keep my name out ya mouth

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    what are comments supposed to be used for anyway?

1) Letting people that they "r 2 kool lol ttyl!!1!!11!"

2) Showing off obnoxious graphics that accomplish nothing beyond letting people know you have created an obnoxious graphic

3) Promoting your gig/new song in a way that's almost but not quite spam

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    honestly, the ones i can't deal with are the "THANKS FOR THE ADD!" comments but i started posting them on a friend's profile a few months ago cause it annoyed the hell out of him too.

then one day i came across this gem which married his hatred for ADD comments and that kirk gibson fist pump in jpeg form:

i got many DIE text messages subsequently and stopped

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    does it bother anyone else when people ask you questions in the comments section of your myspace?
    it been my biggest gripe with myspace since day one.
    i also have something on my 'about me',
    making my retarded 'friends' aware of not doing stuff like this:

"hey chica, whatcha doin?"

"I'm just goin to work latr, we should get drinks after"

"Ooohhh, Sounds good, call My cell 212-477-1012"

not only does some crazy stalker know where you live,
    but he knows your phone number, and what you look like.
    its sad that little 17 year old girls are that stupid.

its actully much worse on facebook, since posting html is disabled.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    HAHAHA! I saw one the other day where all it said was "I'll be in Florida". I was mystified as to why that was there; what were they planning on doing that now couldn't get done, where in Florida was she going, was it vacation, business, did another comment prompt this response, FUCK, who does she know in Florida, do I know her, let me check her page, nice tits, why Florida?

• parenparen 537 Posts
    deepbrnt is notorious for this
    keep my name out ya mouth

hey dudes. thanks for the post! you wanna get up on sunday?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Ain't technology a bitch?

As everything becomes more convenient, everything becomes more inconvenient.

• He's since took his page down, and apparently they had a fight about it where according to him she dropped this classic gem: "You're basically telling all of my friends that you want no part of them."

NEW CLASSIC (ON TNT).

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

yeah, I suspect people do this when they're lonely to prove to others (and possibly themselves) that they have friends.

I think you just defined MySpace right there, my friend.

Yall Baltimore dudes sound lonely as hell! Like, alone and shit...yuck. Like Kanye West rapping or something.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    Yall Baltimore dudes sound lonely as hell! Like, alone and shit...yuck. Like Kanye West rapping or something.

dude, you really need to holler at that northside lazy river. holler at me on myspace, yo!

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    if u have a music account and get some feedback on your tracks - OK. but myspace comments are becoming a total spam-thing in the last months. horrible.
    i especially cant stand this blingbling "u rock!" "thx for the add" etc shit. get a life.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Ain't technology a bitch?

"AYO, Im tired of using technology."

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    honestly, the ones i can't deal with are the "THANKS FOR THE ADD!" comments but i started posting them on a friend's profile a few months ago cause it annoyed the hell out of him too.

then one day i came across this gem which married his hatred for ADD comments and that kirk gibson fist pump in jpeg form:

i got many DIE text messages subsequently and stopped

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts
    That's kind of the thing I don't get about MySpace anyway...? Why would you leave a message or comment for someone who works with you, or will see this weekend, someone your sleeping with...

I don't get it. I can see (maybe) if it's someone who lives in another state - but then what happened to good ol' fashioned e-mail?

Are the majority of you guys' "friends" people that have your phone number - that could get a hold of you in real time?

I just don't get it.

dude, you really need to holler at that northside lazy river. holler at me on myspace, yo!
    This weekend definitely hollerable

That's kind of the thing I don't get about MySpace anyway...? Why would you leave a message or comment for someone who works with you, or will see this weekend, someone your sleeping with...

I don't get it. I can see (maybe) if it's someone who lives in another state - but then what happened to good ol' fashioned e-mail?

Are the majority of you guys' "friends" people that have your phone number - that could get a hold of you in real time?

I just don't get it.

I dont think theres really anything to get. The time spent why why why'ing is time one could have spent getting money having fun living your life or something. Its just another way of being in touch. Everybody needs alittle attention here and there.

Sometimes you call someone, sometimes you go with the email, another time its a myspace message or comment, facebook, text message. All I know is that whenit comes down to analyzing someones life that you dont know piecing their myspace comments together to get the 'gist' (or your image of the 'gist', rather) thats when you need to get your ass off the internet!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

HAHAHAHAHHA.

"I am..... Mystery. "