A Soulstrut power trio on Jimmy Kimmel tonight

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Check out this line up. Wednesday, August 8:Kobe Bryant, Catherine Bell, Tay Zonday sings "Chocolate Rain" (Future Talent Showcase) TV-14 D, LAll 3 have discussed in various ways on this board. + + :5pager:

Comments

• Sweet!

Tay Zonday is the new Eugene McDaniels.

• Tay reminds me of Latoya Jackson.

I don't like it.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    kimmel's band's version of "chocolate rain" was soundin kinda fresh before they went to commercial

they said john mayer has a cover version

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Dude's voice + his mannerisms when he speaks = Trip City, to me.

It's like he has muster up strength to speak. Or that could be him being shy and weird about speaking in front of an audience. It's just weird hearing voice come out a dude that looks like that.

• Dude's voice + his mannerisms when he speaks = Trip City, to me.

It's like he has muster up strength to speak. Or that could be him being shy and weird about speaking in front of an audience.

I think he is probably a nervous/shy person overall. When Kimmel interviewed him afterwards he sat on the chair at a weird angle and held the chair the whole time. He was not relaxed. That is understandable for being on national tv for the first time, but I get the impression that he's kind of a fidgety, nervous guy. Not in a creepy way, but he's just self conscious. But why wouldn't he be...he's tiny and he sounds like James Earl Jones.

My question about the performance is...

was he really playing the keyboard? There's lots of notes going on in that song and it sounded exactly like the original, but at the end the keyboards suddenly faded down and he kept playing and his voice kept going but not the keys. I guess the sound man could have turned him down, but I couldn't tell if he was really playing.

4 million views for that video. Record labels pay big money to get results that pale in comparison to that. Obviously he's not going to sell 4 million records, maybe not even 10,000, but I give the guy props for creating something that has taken the world by storm.

Oh yeah, the audience reacton to his performance was too funny.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

they said john mayer has a cover version

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Tay reminds me of Latoya Jackson.

I don't like it.

haha. i'm with you on this. maybe i'm missing the point.. seems like a arty/hipster thing to me. weird for the sake of weird.

and the john mayer version blows the OG outta the water. handclaps/soulclaps will make any track better imo.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    He seems like a good dude who's taking all of this in stride. Especially considering how most people would deal with being thrust into the spotlight like that.

Here's the clip - Catherine Bell is

and

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Goddamn.

I just heard of this guy, just now, after peeping this thread.

If he learned how to yodel, he'd sound like an offkey Leon Thomas.

And is it just me, or does Tai Zonday look like a light-skinded Frankie Lymon?

(I would have loved to have printed a better photo than this, but there is a surprising lack of good pix of Lymon - by himself, not with the Teenagers - online.)

• he gave catherine bell some sexy stare game at the end.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    he gave catherine bell some sexy stare game at the end.

hahahahahaaaaaaaaa that was crazy

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    he gave catherine bell some sexy stare game at the end.

oh shit! hahahaha!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• if he doesn't get voice over work I am going to be dissapointed.

It's awesome that he said "you put something silly up on youtube." He seems like a good guy.

who is Catherine Bell

• She used to be on that show JAG.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    if he doesn't get voice over work I am going to be dissapointed.

It's awesome that he said "you put something silly up on youtube." He seems like a good guy.

I agree, that Kimmel Video almost brought me to tears... not in a funny way, but more in a compassionate way. He seems very humble. After last weeks thread I went and watched all the youtube vids and read interviews and stuff....I'm really interested in him as a whole.

My aunt did voice over work for 10+ years. She also had a very unique voice, ever heard Babe the Pig?? Thats her and she really sounds like that all the time. She also did Chuckie from Rugrats.....its near close to her actual voice but with some added nasal-y-ness. She wanted to do more on screen acting but only ever got small parts, she was way more likely to get work for her voice. Oh yeah, She did the voice of the son on The Critic as well.

I heart Tay!!! I hope he gets into voice over work, I'm confidant someone will swoop him up though.

• Girl, I would love to give you some of this chocolate rain right here

I heart Tay!!!

are you guys serious in here?

is there like some sort of cancer-recovery or orphaned-by-a-tornado backstory that I should know about and that would make this guy remotely sympathetic?

knowledge me.

"It's mostly tha voice that gets you up
    It's mostly tha voice that makes you buck
    A lot of rappers got flavor and some got skills
    But if your voice ain't dope then you need to [chill... chill... ]"

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    He seems like a good dude who's taking all of this in stride. Especially considering how most people would deal with being thrust into the spotlight like that.

don't get me wrong. i'm not hating on his music, chocolate rain has some deep lyrics, as does his internet song. he performed downtown not too long ago, and people were eating it up. i just don't get it, beyond him being a youtube sensation.

what's funny tho is that dude has that 'look' on his face all the time.

• I heart Tay!!!

are you guys serious in here?

is there like some sort of cancer-recovery or orphaned-by-a-tornado backstory that I should know about and that would make this guy remotely sympathetic?

knowledge me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    DOESN'T MAKE HIM WANT TO KILL A SIXER, BRO-SEPH!
    Seriously, holler at the "lifetime limbo" joint.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    "It's mostly tha voice that gets you up
    It's mostly tha voice that makes you buck
    A lot of rappers got flavor and some got skills

i'd be interested to hear him sing in a more jazz vein.

I'm just endorsing his acting career in voice over work.

He is too freakish to be a pop star or whatever, but I could see him working for Fox or cartoon network in a heartbeat, but probably not disney...knowhatimean?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I'm just endorsing his acting career in voice over work.

He is too freakish to be a pop star or whatever, but I could see him working for Fox or cartoon network in a heartbeat, but probably not disney...knowhatimean?

haha, yeah i can see him doing the voice for an elder bear, or egyptian statesman in a disney flick. or a crab in a spongebob episode.

• A lot of rappers got flavor and some got skills

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

this KILLED me, but it would have killed me even more if i didnt know who tay zonday was to begin with