Options

Do you save your spare change?

edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I started saving pocket change in Arizona Iced Tea bottles back in '94-'95, after one of my friends emptied his out and counted out 100 bucks so we could go get some weed. I was hooked. After a year or so I had maybe 3 of them filled up then came across one of those empty 5 gallon water jugs and started filling that up instead.After 12-13 years of adding to it and never dipping into it, this is what I was left with.... The thing weighed 127.5 lbs, I weighed it on a bathroom scale. I took it to Commerce Bank, they have a free coin counting machine there. And that's where all hell broke loose.I jammed the machine!!! They had to come and take the thing apart, here is the first person who came over and she was extremely pissed off that her banking job has come down to fiddling with a coin counting machine.Then she sent over another guy, I had to wait maybe 5 minutes for him. He didn't even look at me, barely muttered a word to me. I was silently chuckling to myself at first, these people must have thought I was the biggest fucking asshole for carrying in all this change and jamming their machine, and at this point there was a line of 4 people waiting, none of whom had more than a Ziploc sandwich bag full of change!! And every one of them was pissed at me too! So now the guy is able to get the machine working a bit, but you see in the picture at the bottom those loose coins below the white area? That's some type of chute, and he's now putting coins in the top and they're going right through and off the chute and all over the floor of the bank! I'm walking around like a complete fucking asshole at this point, picking up pennies in front of these people and openly laughing my ass off because this situation has reached the pinnacle of how absurd it could have possibly become.I think they were pissed that I was laughing, but that shit was too much. It was like a scene from a Coen brothers movie, or something you'd find on Candid Camera. I'd actually pay them for security camera footage of me walking around chasing this one nickel that wouldn't stop rolling. You know that freak coin that when you drop it it winds up rolling halfway around the block? I had ten of those fucking things in there.Finally I brought my receipts up to the teller, and while I'm there they were still trying to get the machine to work right for the next people. I'm looking at the teller and the guy who wouldn't even look at me just walks up and plops down on the counter a handful of change that fell through and the machine missed, then walks away without saying a word. They really fucking hated me at this place.I walked out with $1623.27. Nice day. Moral of the story, save your change.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I throw it on my bureau, and after it's become a
    ridiculous pile (a few months) I bring it to one
    of those machines at the supermarket. Usually end
    up with $25 or so, which isn't too bad.

$1600 is RIDICULOUS

• I throw it on my bureau, and after it's become a
    ridiculous pile (a few months) I bring it to one
    of those machines at the supermarket. Usually end
    up with $25 or so, which isn't too bad.

$1600 is RIDICULOUS

12-13 years.. damn.. thats a long time

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Once a year, for Christmas presents. Usually in the region of $300, although this year the change has slowed down cos now I keep the quarters for the car.
    $1600 is come-up though. Nice.

Oh, and the one time I used the machine at Commerce Bank, the same shit happened to me. Twice. I don't think those machines work too well. Try a CoinStar, even if they do take a percentage.

• Wife and I used to put a dollar in a piggy bank everytime we knocked boots. Then, we put our loose change, and whatever found money we had floating around in the pig.

We count it once a year, and over five years the change/random cash (never over $20)/love money has reached $2000.

We bought some furniture, and paid for part of a trip to New Zealand.

Save your change, folls. And do the do as often as you can.

• Holy crap! I like that you took a picture too, I'm sure they loved that.

I'm going to Commerce right now, I don't think I'll get $1600, maybe $30.

The last 3 times I went I actually won the "can you guess how much it is (within $2)?" game, I hope I can keep my streak up. Got me a sweet plastic Commerce letter opener!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    you have the best stories

i save my change, but i turn it in as soon as the jar almost gets too heavy for me to carry.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    My wife and I save our change and treat ourselves to a nice restaurant dinner every 3-4 months.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    does it go straight back into aapl?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    this fool took PICTURES!!! LMFAO!

• rsmeetsrsmeets 35 Posts
    last time i took change in to the bank, the teller gave me the "are you serious" look.. that was only about 60 bones... i can only imagine faces on this one...

• i save my change, but i turn it in as soon as the jar almost gets too heavy for me to carry.

I love that Sween waited to redeem his coins until his change "jar" weighed as much as Edith_Head.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I can't believe you took a picture of her - that is hilarious!

I love those coin counting machines at the supermarket - like waiting to get a prize! I love waiting to see my total - will it be a crappy plastic toy or a giant plush panda?????

• I am sure the Commerce staff loathe the decision to offer free coin counting. The picture is an especially nice touch. My question is, did you break the machine by upturning the water cooler bottle onto the machine, as though it were full of water and you were simply swapping out an empty?!? Cos that would do it, if you need to fuck wit 'em some more.

Wifey and I religiously save our change. In addition, we have gone
    and now collect Lucky Pennies from the street, escalators, dollar vans etc which we keep in a separate jar. The plan is to eventually take all the pennies/coins (I found a $20 in an ATM tray one time! That is in there too) to a Coinstar and cash 'em in and then use the proceeds to pay for the adoption/rescue shelter fees for our next dog.
    We plan to name the dog. . .Penny

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Sween, ALWAYS got the best stories man.

1600dollars, unbelievable. Funny as hell that you took a picture of that lady. hahahahahaha.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    can we get a 5 gallon jugg graemlin? money in the bank or something...

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    My dad used to save all his change and once a year or so we'd all count and roll it and buy something for the fam... VCR, day trip, whatever.

I started off my adult life following his example, and once broke the piggy bank to buy an emergency plane ticket (circa $350 or so).

but these days I can't hold on to it, my change goes to tips on coffee and bus fares.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    It's not quite saving change but I knew kid in college who whenever he bought some weed (and he only bought kind) he'd put aside a gram or two in a sealed test tube. He'd save these throughout the year and then on Spring Break he'd go to the Keys or somewhere and smoke his stash. No matter how dry things got during the year he'd never break into his Sprng Break stash. Remarkable will power.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    After reading about an 18-year-old who got himself through college by not only saving his pennies, but putting a notice in Bob Greene's syndicated newspaper column asking people across American to send him any 1-cent pieces they had lying around, I started doing the same for myself. I usually got it cashed after a year. Haven't done that as much in the past 10-12 years or so.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    My wife collects my change from me at the end of the day, EVERY DAY. It's just the routine now. Years ago when I bought my first house, I threw the change stash we had saved (about $200 at the time)into the savings that ended up going towards the house. To this day, my wife still claims I 'owe her $200'!

A waitress I knew back in Minneapolis used to throw her change from tips into a big water jug like Sween's. She would usually have at least $750 bucks off that thing once a year.

Save yer pennies.

• I have an old Gatorade glass bottle where I store my change and it seems every 4-5 months or so, I'll go to the local supermarket and dump my coins and get around $130.00-150.00

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    It's not quite saving change but I knew kid in college who whenever he bought some weed (and he only bought kind) he'd put aside a gram or two in a sealed test tube. He'd save these throughout the year and then on Spring Break he'd go to the Keys or somewhere and smoke his stash. No matter how dry things got during the year he'd never break into his Sprng Break stash. Remarkable will power.

why didn't he just save the money represented by those extra grams and use that to buy some fresh weed before leaving for spring break?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Damn. The most I ever made with my tall beer mug is $35, and I was happy. I remember at home, my mom would have a huge coin car and there was never anything in there but maybe $5. I swear, if she had never tapped into it, she could have had a significant amount right now.

Great story.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Got a jar that holds between $60-80 at any moment. When it's full, i deposit it in my kids personal college fund accounts just like my dad did when I was growing up. Got the money working in a CD for the next year.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I always throw my change in a bowl. When it's filled, I bring it to a change machine. Like most machines, it will charge 8?? per dollar if you want cash. However, you can get an Amazon gift certificate without a surcharge. So my spare change has become a book fund. That's how I grabbed the Mingering Mike book, actually.

• that is ridiculous sween!
    1600 and 12 years

i have this glass gallon jug i store my change in, i was gonna fill it up and then pay a bill with it or something. at first i wasn't gonna put quarters in it because i play alot of pool at bars and need quarters to play. it got to the point where i was addicted to adding change to it. then the day came after a few months that i was dead broke and cashed it in, i think it was maybe a 5th full. i ended up with 62 dollars and i rolled it all up myself and took it to the bank. rolling it is actually not as bad as would think.

do you have to be a customer of that bank to or can anybody walk in off the street and use the machine?

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    For change, I took the cup part of a 100 cd-r spindle, flipped it upside down and filled it. Last year I emptied it out for about $130 (silvers only). Pennies go in a separate one. Right now I have one almost full with about $150. I'm saving for some digs but we'll see... But, yes, save that change its worth it

• It's not quite saving change but I knew kid in college who whenever he bought some weed (and he only bought kind) he'd put aside a gram or two in a sealed test tube. He'd save these throughout the year and then on Spring Break he'd go to the Keys or somewhere and smoke his stash. No matter how dry things got during the year he'd never break into his Sprng Break stash. Remarkable will power.

why didn't he just save the money represented by those extra grams and use that to buy some fresh weed before leaving for spring break?

sealed test tubes and jars keep plant matter basically fresh. plus why buy an eighth of one type of bud when you could have a cornucopia of different strains.

either way I could never do that shit.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    I'm looking at the teller and the guy who wouldn't even look at me just walks up and plops down on the counter a handful of change that fell through and the machine missed, then walks away without saying a word.

haha! dope story. you should've took the change holmes put back on the counter and went and stood back in line for the machine again. or told them, "i'm going out to the car now to get my big batch of change. put a person on stand-by should your machine go down again."

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    nice.

when my wife and i were moving out of california, a friend that was helping us move offered to run our change over to a coinstar machine. we had been saving for 2-2.5 years. she had asked us to guess how much was in there. i ignorantly said $25. i was stoked when we had ~$220. I even bought a round of beers.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    Funny this thread came up, i cashed in AU$440 (US$375) of change earlier in the week. The look on the teller's face when i rolled in with a massive bag of change was priceless. Even better was when some other guy came up behind me with even more change. Total look.

The $440 was from about 18 months worth of saving, i just throw whatever is in my pockets at the end of the day into a big jar.