bruce haack appreciation post

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
aside from the awesome and adventurous use of tape loops and electronics in general, somehow this dude managed to write some of my favorite shit ever. so many of the songs on his records are just solid anyway, regardless of the instruments used. im listening to this electronic record for children right now and a lot of the shit is just fantastic. i need this record now.

Comments

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    The documentary is well worth checking out if you haven't seen it. I found a copy of the Dance to the Music LP at a local thrift. It was in a pile of records donated by a local teacher. Somehow, it makes me feel pretty good that a teacher would own a record with a song entitled "Bored of Education". Here's a tiny image:

• found a couple of his lp's at local thrifts, both had some school addresses stamped on them, kind of funny that kids use to listen to some shit like that in school, anyway i ended up selling both on ebay, got some good money for the one with motorcycle on it

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    They left out some rather nasty stuff about him in that film. He was convicted of molesting children, and killed himself when the indictments started snowballing. that footage of him on mr. rogers is extra creepy.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    They left out some rather nasty stuff about him in that film. He was convicted of molesting children, and killed himself when the indictments started snowballing. that footage of him on mr. rogers is extra creepy.

Well now ... that does put a creepy spin on his obsession with making children's records.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The pedophile stuff has come up in previous discussions. Can anyone actually even confirm this?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

i have this and the way-out record for children.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

i have this

Me too - I just pulled it out and will give it a listen. It's been years since I even played it and it was just for the vocal samples.
    What's the record with "Snowjob"? That song is pretty

It says on Wikipedia he died of heart failure. Take that for what it's worth tho.
    Hope dude wasn't a Dateline candidate

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    The pedophile stuff has come up in previous discussions. Can anyone actually even confirm this?

he comitted suicide while awaiting trial. i felt like that was a matter of public record. a couple things came up on google.

"While Haack remained an active collaborator with Nelson in the 1980s, diabetes-related health problems slowed down his prolific output. He died in his sleep on September 26, 1988, of heart failure. After his death, Dimension 5 continued to release compilations of his work and arranged for additional releases on the Emperor Norton label. In a tribute to Haack's lasting impact on the contemporary musical landscape, a tribute album was announced in 2001 with planned contributions from Beck and Stereolab, among others."

i have my information from a fairly reliable source, but havent found anything to back it up, so for now, consider it heresay. it is quite a slanderous accusation on a dead man.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    I'm a big fan of electric lucifer 1 & 2 especially the first one which would rate as one of my favourite psych lps

the article i read on him mentioned he suffered from depression and had tried to commit suicide several occasions. it goes on to say he died in 1988 at the age of 57.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The only place I have heard that he was convicted,
    or even arrested or accused of child molestation
    is on Soul Strut and Waxidermy, in the two threads
    about him. Both times I was unable to find any mention
    of this claim whatsoever ... I'm really confused as to
    how it could be so hard to find any mention of it.

• The pedophile stuff has come up in previous discussions. Can anyone actually even confirm this?

he comitted suicide while awaiting trial. i felt like that was a matter of public record. a couple things came up on google.

"While Haack remained an active collaborator with Nelson in the 1980s, diabetes-related health problems slowed down his prolific output. He died in his sleep on September 26, 1988, of heart failure. After his death, Dimension 5 continued to release compilations of his work and arranged for additional releases on the Emperor Norton label. In a tribute to Haack's lasting impact on the contemporary musical landscape, a tribute album was announced in 2001 with planned contributions from Beck and Stereolab, among others."

i have my information from a fairly reliable source, but havent found anything to back it up, so for now, consider it heresay. it is quite a slanderous accusation on a dead man.

One would suspect that his victims (if any) would have come forward after his death to corroborate any serious allegation of this type.

Also, it is not possible to defame the dead and pending defamation suits end upon the death of the plaintiff.

In England a few years ago, an angry, flaming-torch-carrying mob broke the windows of a house on the basis that it was owned by a paediatrician. That's right. Ignorance is 'bliss'.

• The only place I have heard that he was convicted,
    or even arrested or accused of child molestation
    is on Soul Strut and Waxidermy, in the two threads
    about him. Both times I was unable to find any mention
    of this claim whatsoever ... I'm really confused as to
    how it could be so hard to find any mention of it.

I think you have your answer: only people on these websites know the truth about famous people.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    For the record Bruce Haack is from ALBERTA batches.