my job is awesome.

2»

Comments

• BUT... I have been broke as fuck too and I would take a well paying career with insurance and 401 K over farting around any day of the wekk!

Well yeah, me too, but thats because we are old now. We have "responsibilities".

I was already in the Army when I was AKO's age and I blew money on whatever I wanted. I guess I didn't have to pay for rent or food or anything else, so that money just went to having fun and getting in to trouble.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

BUT... I have been broke as fuck too and I would take a well paying career with insurance and 401 K over farting around any day of the wekk!

never underestimate the importance of getting the 'farting around' out of your system, before it turns into a post on the 'REGRETS' thread.

"I am 42 and I just divorced my wife, left my 3 kids and took up with a 22 year old weed head hippie chick because I realized I had never just 'farted around' and it's been eating a hole in my soul for the last 10 years or so. Plus I have been reading a lot on Soulstrut how a lot of you dudes smoke weed and just listen to records all day, and I always wanted to see what that was like!"

• hahahahahah, thats a good point!

• Yeah lay off AKO for chrissakes. I'm waiting for the first person to say "So if all your friend's jumped off a bridge would you too?"

AKO, I'm glad you are having fun my man. Live it up. You are at the age right now where everything can be AWESOME.

But... DO YOU HAVE INSURANCE!!??

In my "care free" days... when I delivered shoes and didn't leave college after graduation... this was my family's #1 concern. Like I would need an emergency apendectomy (sp?) and be out 10 grand.

Everything is relative. I've made 400 / month and made rent and had enough for beer during one of the happiest times of my life (that 6 months after graduation before the student loans payments were due and I stayed up at school)... and I've made a pretty damn good living (weighted down with car payments, mortgages, pre-school tuition, digital cable bill, target charge account, add infinity) and been miserable.

BUT... I have been broke as fuck too and I would take a well paying career with insurance and 401 K over farting around any day of the wekk!

Yup, my pops is obsessed with health insurance too. As far as he's concerned, it's basically the main reason to have a job! He has a point, you never know when you are going to need medical care, but he took it to the extreme.

Once I was temping, and I told my boss I wanted a full time position. He asked "Why? What's wrong with temping?"
    I said, "I need heath insurance."
    He was kind of baffled and said, "What, do you go skiing all the time or something?"
    I didn't even know how to react to that way of thinking after what had been drilled into my brain my whole life.

"Oh, now I can't get hit by a bus!"

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I was doing the same thing when I was 19 and at college.
    Me and a buddy used to work in a huge Home Depot kinda store in the UK. And we'd pull the same stunt - basically keeping receipts that customers didn't want, then when there was a quiet moment issuing a refund and pocketing the cash. We were walking away with the equivalent of $200 a day. We only pulled it a few times so as to not get caught, but we still did it anyway.
    We also had anotherr scam where once the register was filled up with notes, you took a stack and dropped them into a drop-box under the desk. Well fuck me, if some of those notes didn't quite make it all the way into the box and 'fell' on the floor.
    I never got caught cos i quit not long after but my buddy who stayed on did get caught. Quitting while you're ahead seemed to work for me there.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    "I am 42 and I just divorced my wife, left my 3 kids and took up with a 22 year old weed head hippie chick because I realized I had never just 'farted around' and it's been eating a hole in my soul for the last 10 years or so. Plus I have been reading a lot on Soulstrut how a lot of you dudes smoke weed and just listen to records all day, and I always wanted to see what that was like!"

Don't judge!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    yeah, i dont have insurance...so that kinda worries me. the day something major happens to me, i wont be fucked, my parents have $$$, but the last thing i want is them dropping some serious money on me just because i was too stupid to get insurance.

my life's a gamble right now and im ok with that. i'll get serious in a couple years.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    when I delivered shoes

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Damn Ako you are on the post tonight. You must be having a good day of not working

• my parents have $$$, but the last thing i want is them dropping some serious money on me just because i was too stupid . . .to get serious

But if you get prosecuted for larceny/theft, won't they have to drop some cash to pay for a lawyer? Just wondering. You can't pay a lawyer with stolen clothes or a two hour drum solo. . .

if

• if

Can you honestly say for sure that your boss's boss isn't reading this thread?

If it was Happy-Super-Fun-Friend-Boss' money or clothes, do you really think he'd be letting you steal them?

Be careful, I guess.

notice i didnt mention very many unique important details about the store.

im not a complete idiot, i just try to get away with stuff when i dont see myself really getting in too much trouble for it. id things start to seem dangerous, i cut it out.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Ako - the house always wins. You just have to know when to step away from the table.

• i get paid 8 pounds an hour to sit on the internet all day.

you must have a fat ass

HAHA!!!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    if

Can you honestly say for sure that your boss's boss isn't reading this thread?

I'd be more concerned with your boss fingering you when things get sticky.

(Y'all know what to do.)

• Alright mr. fipple, how old are you?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Hey my job is awesome.
    I dont get sweated for showing up late or leaving early.
    I got a significant salary right out of college and just got a raise after 6 months.
    I also have health insurance for the family and I.
    I get to wear sneakers to work. I work in an office.

Hey my job is awesome.
    I dont get sweated for showing up late or leaving early.
    I got a significant salary right out of college and just got a raise after 6 months.
    I also have health insurance for the family and I.
    I get to wear sneakers to work. I work in an office.

your job is more awesome than mine because it sounds like an actual job to some extent.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    My job is awesome.
    I own a record store. I don't have a boss or any partners. I steal from myself on a regular basis. I'm flying to Rio tomorrow and will be in Brazil for three weeks.

• "I am 42 and I just divorced my wife, left my 3 kids and took up with a 22 year old weed head hippie chick because I realized I had never just 'farted around' and it's been eating a hole in my soul for the last 10 years or so. Plus I have been reading a lot on Soulstrut how a lot of you dudes smoke weed and just listen to records all day, and I always wanted to see what that was like!"

Don't judge!

I'm still laughing at this one.

• My job is awesome.
    I own a record store. I don't have a boss or any partners. I steal from myself on a regular basis. I'm flying to Rio tomorrow and will be in Brazil for three weeks.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Yeah lay off AKO for chrissakes. I'm waiting for the first person to say "So if all your friend's jumped off a bridge would you too?"

AKO, I'm glad you are having fun my man. Live it up. You are at the age right now where everything can be AWESOME.

you know you're getting old when this matters

Never had a job where I felt free to be stealing, but I did know this gy who worked at a rcord store in Pasadena for 20+ years and pulled stuff like AKO was saying with money and reciepts. H got fired a couple years back and went off his rocker phoning in bomb threats to his former employer.

lesson learned - if you're going to pull money from the reg get in and get out quick

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah lay off AKO for chrissakes. I'm waiting for the first person to say "So if all your friend's jumped off a bridge would you too?"

Never had a job where I felt free to be stealing, but I did know this gy who worked at a rcord store in Pasadena for 20+ years and pulled stuff like AKO was saying with money and reciepts. H got fired a couple years back and went off his rocker phoning in bomb threats to his former employer.

lesson learned - if you're going to pull money from the reg get in and get out quick

Which store in Pasadena?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Which store in Pasadena?

cantebury records.

They just stopped selling vinyl a month ago

I've got so many odd stories about that place, but yeah dude was jacking them for upwards of a $100 a day for most of his career there. Now the store is on its last legs

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    at least he ain't stealing a culture to pay his bills.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    i take money from the store on a regular basis by asking people if they want their receipt or not, and if they dont, cancelling the sale and pocketing the money. (lets just call these "tips")

the manager, who is my friend, is aware of this, and usually participates.

Be careful my man. My friend's brother is going to jail for doing something similar for him and his buddies at a department store. This doesn't make as much sense, because the merchandise is gone, and the money's short....then won't the owner eventually find out?

Sorry to take away from your mojo, just curious. I'm learning about accounting ethics as of this moment...

ive been worrying about this actually, definitely slowed down, but heres the thing

half the money the store brings in is profit since a lot of the stuff is used and sent to the store, basically donations.

theres a few shoplifters, and when we do inventory, our manager tells us to fudge the numbers. hes been working there about 3 years now so i dont think theres much worry.

plus, like i said, all the employees participate. even the manager is guilty. basically i only take money to buy lunch or other things, although a few nights i have gone a little overboard.

my girlfriend doesnt like the idea of me stealing money, either, so thats another factor. however, she seems to be fine with taking clothes from the store. hahaha

the whole operation's fishy, but i dont feel so bad because i hear stories of the kinda shit that USED to go on at the store and im blown away.

the place has been there since 1981 too, which blows my mind that its even open anymore, but somehow it just works.

It's one thing to commit crimes, its another to document them on the internet. Not frowning on you, but be careful what you publicize.