Art Strut (what's everyone working on)

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
The last one of these we did was pretty cool, so let's do another one. What are people working on these days art-wise?This is only the 4th or 5th thing I have ever painted and the first thing that had anything beyond one simple character in it. I made this as a present for my two friends. They are married and they used to be my roommates. I originally made a really simple painting of their dog. Then I followed that up with a painting of a frog reading a book. The frog symbolizes my friend Laura. I followed that with a monkey that had a beard and looked like my other roommate. This painting is the combo of all of those paintings and sort of symbolizes their family, pre babies. This was their wedding present. Kind of cheesy, but I think it means more than a toaster. I'm not a painter, but I still have fun with it.

Comments

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I think it means more than a toaster.

Same thing I??ve always said. What medium do you use?

- J

• I just used a basic beginners set of acrylics. This 6 tube box. I got this as a birthday present.

Prior to that I used house paint and borrowed my roommates acrylics. Just whatever was around. I'm not really one for buying art supplies. I just use what's available.

Haha, it??s actually called "utrecht"? Should it be the SS household brand? Where is the poll function?

I??m gonna do some stuff TONIGHT! I??m exited- Haven??t done anything major for a while now, but I??ve got tons of ideas right now, and spare-time to do it! I??ll see if I can get some sort of camera working and post some pics if I finish.

- J

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    i updated my site:

http://dirtydesign.net/

getting good response.

• I am an animator. At the moment i am working on a 3d animated feature film called Sunshine Berry and the disco worms. It is about a worm, thats tired of being in the lowest link in the food chain. The worm are like slaves in the insect world. One day he finds hes fathers old disco records. He wants to found at disco band, and against all odds win the accept of all the insects...Hes a worm and hes proud!

There is no trailer yet, but there will be soon.

http://www.radarfilm.com/

• i updated my site:

really nice album art. also love that yo majesty shirt.

• just finished this guy for a world tour show. it was just at sdcc

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I've been making some shirts for my rock band lately. I'm only a "hobbyist", but I do have a bit of a sense of humor anyway.

And the Yacht Rock themed shirt (still in the works) with some dots/lettering help from my good friend Susan:

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    i updated my site:

really nice album art. also love that yo majesty shirt.

Thanks! I really appreciate that.

• ive been trying to start a 7" cover for my mates band .... here's the first draught:

--- its supposed to tie in with the album artwork i did a while ago:

• I really dig your work, Pencilface. Good stuff as always!

• I really dig your work, Pencilface. Good stuff as always!

cheers...

• a current promo flyer for my little corny freelance stuff I do for mixtape djs and rappers.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I followed that with a monkey that had a beard and looked like my other roommate.

your old roommate a**y? cause that monkey really really looks like him. you did a good job

• controller and pencilface - those are really fresh.

here's a poster i designed for my newborn niece:

here's a poster i designed for my dj gig:

here's a poster my work partner wes and i designed for a rap show:

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    The last one of these we did was pretty cool, so let's do another one. What are people working on these days art-wise?

This is only the 4th or 5th thing I have ever painted and the first thing that had anything beyond one simple character in it. I made this as a present for my two friends. They are married and they used to be my roommates. I originally made a really simple painting of their dog. Then I followed that up with a painting of a frog reading a book. The frog symbolizes my friend Laura. I followed that with a monkey that had a beard and looked like my other roommate. This painting is the combo of all of those paintings and sort of symbolizes their family, pre babies. This was their wedding present. Kind of cheesy, but I think it means more than a toaster. I'm not a painter, but I still have fun with it.

This is really nice man. I was stunner at the difference between this and my memories of your stuff from the last thread. In particular the perspective and shading of the trees and cars on the road is incredible--really well executed.

I've got a show coming up at the end of the month where I'll be doing a performance involving the sonuds of Dolce and Gabanna pants versus the sounds of Wrangler pants. If any NY strutters are interested there's info at my blog.

I drew this yeterday:

This collage is fairly recent:

• controller and pencilface - those are really fresh.

here's a poster i designed for my newborn niece:

here's a poster i designed for my dj gig:

here's a poster my work partner wes and i designed for a rap show:

you deserve a medal. all those are top notch, I want a copy of the letters poster!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    I want a copy of the letters poster!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I want a copy of the letters poster!

How much for just the U?

• I want a copy of the letters poster!

I would put that on a baby's wall or two.

• wow, thanks!

screenprinted version coming soon - just waiting to squeeze it into our print schedule.

i had a hankering to do t-shirts of some of the individual letters. hmmmm...

• And, i'd wear a 'G' shirt...

hmmm indeed.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Great looks all around. I have been too damn busy to make any art. I need to make some time soon.

I??d put the "J" on a back-pocket.

Or in gold around my neck for that matter..

- J

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Good stuff people. Mike, killin it as usual. Poster plaese.

• your old roommate a**y? cause that monkey really really looks like him. you did a good job

Thanks Au***y. Yeah, it's A**y. I always think this filling in names with *** is hillarious because you can always tell what name it is anyways.

Thanks for the kind words about the painting everyone.

Mike, your stuff is always top notch. I am a big fan of Wes's stuff too.

• i had a hankering to do t-shirts of some of the individual letters. hmmmm...

sign me up boss

• ToeFunkToeFunk 90 Posts

i had a hankering to do t-shirts of some of the individual letters. hmmmm...

sign me up boss

Yeah money I'd be sooo down for that "T".

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

That's one of the freshest things i've seen in a while. If you do print some up, put me down for one. My daughter would love it.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

That's one of the freshest things i've seen in a while. If you do print some up, put me down for one. My daughter who should have arrived 2 days ago[/b] would love it.

Mike... I tried to PM you to no avail. I collect skate decks, and saw a fresh one that I think you all (Burlesque) did. It was on The Rub Blog. What's the word on that? I got a space on the wall waiting for one.