how often do you buy a record and never hear it?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
looking through my collection, it seems that i buy a lot of bigger name / classic records because i find them, and then never ever listen to them, some things that come to mind:at least 2 cannonball adderley lpsat least 3 lonnie liston smith lpsat least 4 of my 9 soft machine lpscountless countless others.its like i find the shit and have to buy it, then get home and just file it away.this is kinda bumming me out, because even now im not that excited to even listen to them. maybe its time for a collection clean-out?

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I really don't have this problem anymore, because I'm super picky as to what i'll pick up. I'll either listen to it at the record store and decide whether it'll be something I listen to over and over. Either that, or I just cop some guaranteed fire on ebay. Oh and another thing is that, during my periods of "brokeness", it's a perfect time to listen to common ass records which I didn't think much of before, i.e. Superfly, The Impressions, Reuben Blades, Funkadelic.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I've needle dropped every record I own, though there are many I've never listened the whole way through.

• Happens more often than I'd like to admit-- a lot of the time because I'm looking for sounds more than whole cuts. When I have a little money, though, my mentality is generally "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and then not have it."

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I've needle dropped every record I own, though there are many I've never listened the whole way through.

well yeah, ive listened to at least a few seconds of every record ive ever had, but so many records that are probably great sit nearly completely unplayed...

Happens more often than I'd like to admit-- a lot of the time because I'm looking for sounds more than whole cuts. When I have a little money, though, my mentality is generally "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and then not have it."

same here, my mentality, even when i find a good record by a good artist is "what on here can i use..." and if i dont find much right away i file it away and move onto the next record i got that day.

kinda sad, but whatever, when im at work i listen to music like crazy, i guess i just forgot i can do it at home too...haha

• This is a murderous topic. Some of my most favoritest rekkids are in England right now (I am in stankin' Jersey City NJ).
    Alkaholiks "Daaam!" Buckwild Remix promo 12" is gonna be first on the tables when I get that bastard home.

J

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I have 100-150 records sitting on a shelf that I bought 4-5 years ago and haven't listened to a single one! What's really bad is that I keep on buying new stuff, which means I'm putting off hearing the old stuff even more.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I'll either listen to it at the record store and decide whether it'll be something I listen to over and over. Either that, or I just cop some guaranteed fire on ebay.

Which scenario does Sun Goddess fit into?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I don't know about actual numbers, but when I was going through my jazz section, there were a number of times where I said "wow, I forgot I bought this." I too tend to be more picky nowadays, and I think if I ever get to going through everything, I'll just put them on eBay and see what happens.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'll either listen to it at the record store and decide whether it'll be something I listen to over and over. Either that, or I just cop some guaranteed fire on ebay.

Which scenario does Sun Goddess fit into?

I regret purchasing Sun Goddess for 3 dollars.

• never... at this moment, i've listened to every record i bought.

• I listen every records I buy but when I buy many in a row I listen most of them in a fast-listening-looking-for-any-interesting-moment mode.
    It's a good way to dig and discover great stuff in your own crates some times after!

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Sometimes it's a good thing. You discover you have something you bought years ago and it's sought after or is unique. I have around 1500 lp's and still haven't listen to everything. It's all about the mood I'm in and the time. I'm one of those people that buys alot and just files it away. I like to be surprised when I drop the needle on something I've owned for years.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    looking through my collection, it seems that i buy a lot of bigger name / classic records because i find them, and then never ever listen to them, some things that come to mind:

at least 2 cannonball adderley lps
    at least 3 lonnie liston smith lps
    at least 4 of my 9 soft machine lps

which Soft Machine lps have you not listened to yet outta curiousity?

looking through my collection, it seems that i buy a lot of bigger name / classic records because i find them, and then never ever listen to them, some things that come to mind:

at least 2 cannonball adderley lps
    at least 3 lonnie liston smith lps
    at least 4 of my 9 soft machine lps

which Soft Machine lps have you not listened to yet outta curiousity?

4, sixth, softs...i guess only 3 of them.

1,2 and 7 get constant rotation.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I got small stacks of vinyl/CD's that I haven't listened to - there's an additional stash of vinyl that needs cleaning - but generally if I haven't played it yet, I don't file it with the rest of my stuff. I don't do the "needle swipe" unless I'm still in the store and haven't bought it yet. If I'm at home and it's in my possession, I just set the needle and let it ride.

I think the real test for me is...after I've played it once, even if it's the best goddamned rekkid I ever heard ever, how long before I play it again? Lotta records in the "now playing" rotation pile, and naturally I don't get to everything right away...well, that's what lazy Sundays like this are for.

Who here remembers the good old days when your collection was so small and your time was so flexible that you could play a record on the same day you bought it?

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    When I have a little money, though, my mentality is generally "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and then not have it."

Or as the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers said,

'Dope will get you through the times of no money, better than Money will get you through the times of no Dope'

Now I have given up the weed, I apply this to records.

I have hundreds I haven't had even a needle drop listen to yet, which pains me, as it becomes far more about acquiring records, rather than listening to them. However as I am soon to buy my first place, this stockpile will see me through the very lean times I'm soon to have and I can't wait to get reacquainted with records and hear the ones I have yet to listen to / have yet to give a proper listen to.

• Who here remembers the good old days when your collection was so small and your time was so flexible that you could play a record on the same day you bought it?

I feel you, especially when there was enough time to listen to the whole records through
    but
    it always makes fun to listen to my "old stock" to find some "new" undiscovered tunes - mostly when the funds for new records are dry.

• my stack of "to listen to" is forever growing and there is absolutely no way possible to listen to every record I buy - or even just the ones in the "to listen to" stack.

I have often thought what it would be like to only listen to each record I buy once. I think I would listen to more stuff but spend more time listening to stuff I don't like. :/