crates list roll call

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I was there with my first internet connection. 14k! Stand up.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    check.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I lurked briefly on this. Had a read and it was all way over my head at the time.

Yes... I was definitely a little dude then!

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    What about the old DJ Shadow email list? I file-hosted one of the beat making comps way back in the day...
    O-Dub you were on there right? Is it still around?

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    the crates list was my shit!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I was on the Crates list, and fortunately had recognized a few people from rec.music.hip-hop, some of the people on In/Flux that had moved on, and a small handful from the U-WU (some had to remind me who they were since most people would change their nicknames every few years).

For the familiar names, it was a way to get reacquainted with everyone again. Was Pizzo (Mike) ever on Crates? I know he was on my list in the early days and he may have had the store up and running by the time Crates came to be.

I do remember around the time Crates came to a close, Egon had put up a 45 of "There's A DJ In Your Town" and after winning it, I had questioned him since the matrix # was the same as the label he was running at the time. I assumed he had pressed it himself and was trying to pass it off as an original. He assured me it was authentic. I haven't heard from him in a long time, unfortunately, so I hope he's doing alright. No luck in that law firm of Alapatt, Wang, and Book happening anytime soon, I guess.