GOOD AND BAD RAERS ON AVI???

WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I keep stumbling upon records I've never seen before on AVI. Recently it's been these two:Discognosis - the top one - is pretty . Actually it's very . But this Time Travelers joint....wow. Wondering - any other radical AVIs I'm not knowing about? Weird discoveries?

Comments

• There's an LP by Spooner Oldham called "spare change" that's Rare and worth loot, but I've never listened to it. I'm assuming it's on the disco-Funk-Boogie tip...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    There's an LP by Spooner Oldham called "spare change" that's Rare and worth loot, but I've never listened to it. I'm assuming it's on the disco-Funk-Boogie tip...

IIRC, it was a straight reissue of a horrible singer-songwriter-ish album he did in 1973 on Family Productions called Pot Luck. Produced by Ed Cobb, who later went to to start up AVI with Ray Harris. Why he decided to reissue the Spooner Oldham joint, I have no idea (what audience was he aiming at?).

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Put On Your Jeans

At some point in the early '80s, AVI bought out Nashboro Records, so if you see random AVI gospel albums (or generic blues compilations), that's why. There was also an Oliver Sain LP; it may have looked like just another '80s fusion album, but actually it was a reissue of his funky blues tracks on Abet (a Nashboro subsidiary).

There's an LP by Spooner Oldham called "spare change" that's Rare and worth loot, but I've never listened to it. I'm assuming it's on the disco-Funk-Boogie tip...

IIRC, it was a straight reissue of a horrible singer-songwriter-ish album he did in 1973 on Family Productions called Pot Luck. Produced by Ed Cobb, who later went to to start up AVI with Ray Harris. Why he decided to reissue the Spooner Oldham joint, I have no idea (what audience was he aiming at?).

I was wrong - the AVI actually has something like three songs from Pot Luck plus some other stuff from God knows where. My sources say that this AVI version is just as tepid as the other one...

• recently copped Casper's Groovy Ghost Show 12" and have played it a few times. Early hip hop joint. Not sure if it's rare or not, nothing mindblowing material-wise, but that comes to mind as being better than deece.

recently copped Casper's Groovy Ghost Show 12" and have played it a few times. Early hip hop joint. Not sure if it's rare or not

it's pretty common in Chicago, where Casper is from

(AVI released a lot of Chitown-based artists like Casper, Lowrell and Captain Sky.)

• headz should know about dave williams stepper masterpiece album "soul is free"
    priceless feel good stuff. peace, stein. . .

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    yeah i had that dave williams a couple years ago. dont know what ever happened to it. i never see it in the field

• I like that Lowrell album, just listened to it start to finish this morning. I guess it's fairly well known but I just found my first copy so...

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I like that Lowrell album, just listened to it start to finish this morning. I guess it's fairly well known but I just found my first copy so...

Am I wrong in assuming that it's a fairly difficult-to-find album outside of Chicago? Really good stuff. "You're Playing Dirty" and, of course, "Mellow Mellow" are my fave cuts.