Define a cover song

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Seriously. I been making these mix tapes of cover songs. "Under the Covers" and I started moving into jazz and, well, everything is a "cover".Is a cover simply defined as a person or group playing a composition that was not written by them? Is a cover different from standard?Plaese to help clarify. I need to be accurate. My shitty reputation depends on it.

Comments

• i believe a standard is a cover thats been (re)done so many times that it becomes a staple of a certain genre.

as to what defines a cover i'd go with "not written by the original artist and performed before".

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I would say, if you're playing a tune another bands writen and recorded = cover.
    Standards are when the same tune gets played by many different artists. They may cover it faithfully to the og, or reinterpret it. Done enough it becomes a standard. Also 'standard' because you can judge the difference between artists by their interpretation of the same song. I think more of the tin-pan-alley tradition where composers, and songwriters, would sell their composition to lots of artists and create standards.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    What about when an artist plays a cover so much that they begin to own it? e.g. My Favorite Things.

Somebody also mentioned faithfulness to the original version. I'm thinking of the version of Hurdy Gurdy Man off Sound of Feeling's Spleen--it's essentially reconstructed. But still a cover, right?

Can anyone think of some fundamentally reconstructed covers?

• HumayunHumayun 27 Posts

Vanilla Fudge was famous for these... there's also McLemore Avenue by Booker T and the MG's but that's hardly a reinvention. I suppose the same goes for Ramsey Lewis's Mother Nature's Son. Oh and there's always the Jimmy Ponder cover of My Guitar Gently Weeps. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but that was what was on the top of my head.

Vanilla Fudge was famous for these... there's also McLemore Avenue by Booker T and the MG's but that's hardly a reinvention. I suppose the same goes for Ramsey Lewis's Mother Nature's Son. Oh and there's always the Jimmy Ponder cover of My Guitar Gently Weeps. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but that was what was on the top of my head.

Definitely along those lines. I'm thinking of versions that you don't realize they are covers until midway through the song--if at all.

The Vanilla Fudge: Man, I have tried and tried and tried to like their records. Just don't get it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Do they have to be jazz? If not

Too Late - Isley Brothers
    What Have You Done for Me Lately? - Sharon Jones

• boodooboodoo 28 Posts
    3 Feet High and Rising
    -De La Soul

put that on your 2007 mix tape.

What about a Tie-dyed t-shirt and cover-alls? ... are you are a gay ass hippy bitch?

cover is only rock n' roll.
    jazz covers rock n roll sometimes.
    my favorite thangs aint rock n' roll.

My Favorite Thangs is a Jass Standard originally from Broadway 1959 ... regardless of when you 'heard it first' ...

fuckallayawl,
    Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II

cover is only rock n' roll.
    jazz covers rock n roll sometimes.
    my favorite thangs aint rock n' roll.

Somebody made a stinky.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Whynot wiki it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_song

I :heart: reggae covers

Anything.

At what point does a sample comprise the primary basis for song making it a cover? i.e. Fugees Killing me Softly (a cover--albeit awful--right?) or That Foxy Brown song that uses Carl Carlton or Diddy's Police Song. The last two basically have "rapping" over a version of the song and still uses the chorus.

Also at what point can a reconstructed remix become an actual cover. I'm trying to think of an example? Maybe Z-Trips version of I Want you Back? No, that's a re-edit. Hmmm... stumped

Whynot wiki it?

Because I'm recovering from wiki dependence. It's dangerous. Watch out.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Anything.

At what point does a sample comprise the primary basis for song making it a cover? i.e. Fugees Killing me Softly (a cover--albeit awful--right?) or That Foxy Brown song that uses Carl Carlton or Diddy's Police Song. The last two basicall has "rapping" over a version of the song and still uses the chorus.

Other may disagree, but to me it's not a cover just because it uses a straight forward sample...Guilty Simpson's It's A Man's World has the same title and a pretty straight loop of the JBrown version, but it's still not a cover to me.

I consider Rance Allen's Just My Salvation to be a cover of Just My Imagination.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    A "standard" is a song that has been recorded and performed by a wide range of artists to the point where it stands out on its own.

I believe one of the reasons they called it a "cover version" was so that the new person would "cover up" the original in their own way, as in "I am Pat Boone, and I am going to cover up the fact that a black man did this song, preventing him from having the hit". At least that what I was lead to believe.

• I :heart: reggae covers

as for reconstructions:
    I've heard many a version of "Take Five" done in standard 4/4 time signature. Caribbean standard. WTF?

Anything.

At what point does a sample comprise the primary basis for song making it a cover? i.e. Fugees Killing me Softly (a cover--albeit awful--right?) or That Foxy Brown song that uses Carl Carlton or Diddy's Police Song. The last two basicall has "rapping" over a version of the song and still uses the chorus.

Other may disagree, but to me it's not a cover just because it uses a straight forward sample...Guilty Simpson's It's A Man's World has the same title and a pretty straight loop of the JBrown version, but it's still not a cover to me.

I consider Rance Allen's Just My Salvation to be a cover of Just My Imagination.

What about M.C. Miker : Celebration Rap? Is that a cover of Celebration or We Are Family? I'd say neither. But then, what about T-Ski Valley - Sexual Rapping?

version of "Take Five"

I :heart: George Mgrdichian's version on The Now Sounds of the Middle East

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

Vanilla Fudge was famous for these...

so over the top...and hilarious

re: reconstructed cover

i like this version of Guns of Brixton much better than the Clash's

Totally the most ridiculous late 60s shit ever. They are so into being "heavy" while being so fucking weak. That keyboardist with his left had gestures--I almost fell out laughing.

Totally the most ridiculous late 60s shit ever. They are so into being "heavy" while being so fucking weak. That keyboardist with his left had gestures--I almost fell out laughing.

it's not just the keyboardist though - they are all doing that. it's like they're acting like they just got shot. i can't help but marvel. violently cheesy

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    violently cheesy

violently cheesy

violently cheesy

violently cheesy

violently cheesy

Location alert!

• re: reconstructed cover

is this from that cd of lounge covers of modern rock songs? like pixies, clash, depeche mode, etc? what was that called? a friend of mine played it for me a while back, but I done forgot.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    re: reconstructed cover

is this from that cd of lounge covers of modern rock songs? like pixies, clash, depeche mode, etc? what was that called? a friend of mine played it for me a while back, but I done forgot.
    Nouvelle Vague

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

No hi-jack here...but when it comes to the 'Fudge, plaese to check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA5PzAKNDbg&mode=related&search=

This is the only thing ive ever seen or heard from them that even vaguely held my interest.

Their albums are

Carmine Appice has always kind of creeped me out, too.

• boodooboodoo 28 Posts

He was tellin the drummer to quiet down.

He was tellin the drummer to quiet down.

Nah, he was "directing" through those intricate intense melody shifts and time changes.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

Forget Vanilla Fudge, Isaac Hayes is the real king of the drastically re-worked cover. "Walk On By", "By The Time I Get To Phoenix", "Do Your Thing", "You've Lost That Loving Feeling", etc. Those are totally new songs when he gets done with them.

Forget Vanilla Fudge, Isaac Hayes is the real king of the drastically re-worked cover. "Walk On By", "By The Time I Get To Phoenix", "Do Your Thing", "You've Lost That Loving Feeling", etc. Those are totally new songs when he gets done with them.

Main difference being that Mr. Hayes' versions are good.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    So here's a question:

Was Whitney Houston's "rendition" of I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU a cover of the Dolly Parton tune?

Were Hugo Montenegro's "renditions" of Ennio Morricone soundtrack tunes covers?

Is the Jimi Hendrix's ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER a cover?

Basically, what Im asking is it still a cover if the cover eclipses the original in terms of popularity?

Does that fit into the equation at all?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The ultimate reconstruct would have to be Aretha doing Redding's RESPECT, adding a bridge and making that song a stone classic for the ages.