RARE EARTH VS. FLAMING EMBER

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
"Get Ready," "I Just Want To Celebrate," "Hey Big Brother"VS.[/b] sorry, couldn't find a better image![/b]"Westbound #9," "I'm Not My Brother's Keeper," "Mind, Body & Soul"Two great rock-soul bands from Detroit...one recorded for Motown, the other recorded for a company owned by ex-Motowners (Hot Wax)...got their start in the sixties (Rare Earth as the Sunliners, Flaming Ember as the Flaming Embers)...rather than hook up with the white rock scene like Mitch Ryder or the Rationals, both bands targeted the black audience almost from the start...both had drummers who sang lead***...Rare Earth kept going until 1979, at least, while the Ember wound down around '71 or so...Rare Earth weighed down almost every album with a long, boring percussion jam; Flaming Ember kept it relatively simple on their LP's, but still had the atrocious "Ember Blues" to answer for...there is the distinct possibility that the Ember didn't play on a lot of their records (sounds like the same house band heard on all those Hot Wax/Invictus sides), but Rare Earth definitely sounds like a homegrown band...So, who is the better Detroit blue-eyed soul band? (And don't say Dennis Coffey!!!)__________________________________________________________________________________________________________***debatable; I saw a TV clip of the Flaming Ember where the lead singer was clearly standing in front of the rest of the band, not playing an instrument; they were miming to "Westbound #9"

Comments

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    rare earth had more balls
    get ready with that 5 minute break

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm going with Rare Earth.

Both bands have some horrible tracks on their
    albums, but I think Rare Earth have the stronger
    catalog, and a deeper one at that. I wonder what
    Rare Earth were like as a live act in the late 60's ...
    I'm willing to bet they put on a hell of a show.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Rare Earth

though "Filet De Soul" is a hella of a track!

i need more of this shit.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm going with Rare Earth.

I think I've checked out most of the FE material at this point and it is pretty much all either mediocre or unlistenable.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Rare Earth.
    But Flaming Ember had only what, 2 albums & some singles?
    It's a little bit of a lopsided poll.

P.S. Just recently heard Rare Earth's first album, I>Dreams/Answers/I> for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. I'll also ride for the later offshoot band HUB.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I wonder what Rare Earth were like as a live act in the late 60's ...

I saw them in the early 2000's at a county fair in suburban Illinois...only one original left and that was the sax player; the drummer/lead singer was long gone. They were the backing band for an oldies revue (with Mark Lindsay, Mitch Ryder and Spencer Davis). The new Rare Earth were the least memorable band on the bill.

I'm willing to bet they put on a hell of a show.

I once saw a rerun of Midnight Special, the old late-night music show, from 1973. Rare Earth guested and did a killer "I Just Want To Celebrate." During the singalong part at the end, Pete Rivera-Hoorelbeke leaves the drum kit, another band member takes over, he's up front singing, then gives the mike to a couple of ladies in the audience, who keep chanting the title in their nasal voices while Pete keeps jamming on some kind of percussion instrument...total class act.

Rare Earth.
    But Flaming Ember had only what, 2 albums & some singles?
    It's a little bit of a lopsided poll.

You're exactly right, but the two bands had so many parallels that I had to make the comparison.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i thought FE had more albums than 2?

So "Sunshine" and "Westbound #9" were their only albums ?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Rare Earth

though "Filet De Soul" is a hella of a track!

• rare earth all day. peace, stein. . .

i thought FE had more albums than 2?

So "Sunshine" and "Westbound #9" were their only albums ?

Right. Plus some random non-LP singles, before and after they had their hits.

Flaming Ember's "1200 Miles" is one of their best.

I'm convinced "filet d'soul" is the Invictus house band.

Yeah, that track could fit in perfectly on the Politicians album.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Flaming Ember's "1200 Miles" is one of their best.

RIGHT ON BOTH COUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!

"1200 Miles" is my fucking jammy jam... it is probably better than every rare earth song except for the 45 mix of "(i know) i'm losing you"...
    kala

it is probably better than every rare earth song except for the 45 mix of "(i know) i'm losing you"...

you should get the Verve album ... it has a few songs that
    are more a mix of psychedelic/weird styles and dance tracks.
    "Land of Nod" and "Yesterday on Third Avenue" are pretty ill.

• I don't find any of the blue-eyed rock bands sound anywhere near "black"
    But I still like them through and through. Rare Earth is great.
    But that Flaming Ember track: Gottagettaway? That break? That's so surprisingly cool.
    The few white artists that I fif fo have that souful dark tone in their voice is Hall & Oates (Sarah Smile, I Can't go for that) - except for Maneater.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

could be, the politicians were the house band for hot wax/ invictus.....

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I don't find any of the blue-eyed rock bands sound anywhere near "black"
    Reeeeeeealy.
    IMG SRC=http://www.africancolours.net/media/10929_2_03, Miss Richard Wachira.jpg>

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I don't find any of the blue-eyed rock bands sound anywhere near "black"

haha and please tell us what "Black" sounds like...

I never truly gave FE a chance outside of skimming through the Sunshine LP, but RE have songs I can actually listen to... although I rarely do

pickwick33 said:
    I once saw a rerun of Midnight Special, the old late-night music show, from 1973. Rare Earth guested and did a killer "I Just Want To Celebrate." During the singalong part at the end, Pete Rivera-Hoorelbeke leaves the drum kit, another band member takes over, he's up front singing, then gives the mike to a couple of ladies in the audience, who keep chanting the title in their nasal voices while Pete keeps jamming on some kind of percussion instrument...total class act.

leaving the mic in the crowd is an awesome look.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Have to go with Rare Earth as well. I would instantly remember them while I have to think about Flaming Ember.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Rare Earth is no doubt the stronger band, but this is one of my favorite songs between the two, produced by George Clinton and some of the Parliaments are playing on it:

As far as Rare Earth goes, I think Ray Monette was somewhat overshadowed by Dennis Coffey, but was awesome in his own right. Most people assume this is Eddie Hazel on guitar, but it's actually Ray Monette:

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Rare Earth is no doubt the stronger band, but this is one of my favorite songs between the two, produced by George Clinton and some of the Parliaments are playing on it:

Cosign. Took the words/youtube video out of my mouth.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Flaming Ember loses some points for having a song called "Ding need Dong"

• Without question the FE were more soulful. Almost everyone thought they were a black group. The drummer/singer for the FE was brought out front for some appearances. The FE were a "real" Detroit band. I do like RE. Their singer/drummer was very good. RE had the backing of a much larger and monied organization.
    SoundOutLoud