Electroclash: "Intelligent Dance Music"

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
So I went reluctantly to this outdoor event in downtown LA. It was somewhat of a culture shock to me. But I still had fun overall. To me, it seemed like a rave without the glowsticks and ecstacy. Hipster Central in full effect.And one of the girls was hella into this music. She said it's basically "intelligent dance music". To which I initially thought was a diss to Hip-hop which I so hold dear to my heart. But she said that's what people actually call it.What's the deal.

Comments

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I've always heard that term being applied to "experimental" electronic music such as Aphex Twin, Squarepusher etc.

Electroclash and "electro house" is just the hipster's trance music. Same cheesy melodies just played on different synths.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Electroclash and "electro house" is just the hipster's trance music. Same cheesy melodies just played on different synths.
    no.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I've always heard that term being applied to "experimental" electronic music such as Aphex Twin, Squarepusher etc.

Ahh i see. thanks for clarification.

That's pretty much the impression I got. I got this cheesy melody stuck in my head right now! help!!!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    electro house is not 'hipster's trance music', electroclash i didn't even know was still getting played ... my understand is that was some larry tee affiliated 00s era shit that largely sucked, but the appeal is diff from trance ... its more about camp and shit like that. i can't say its ever really appealed to me

electro house is basically just a recent strain of house music that has its hits and misses. i cant say i've known too many hipsteurs into it, in my experience its more of an international thing, a lot of indian students were into that kind of stuff when i was in college and i've enjoyed the few mixes and tracks i've heard. get physical records used to qualify as 'electrohouse' think

anyone who knows better than i do can feel free to correct me

• Options
    See anybody fucking on the dancefloor?

No unfortunately not. It was a tame crowd.

• See anybody fucking on the dancefloor?

That would be too dumb for such an intelligent musical form.

That would be too dumb for such an intelligent musical form.

I get the feeling maybe the pulsating bass could have been louder to that have happened.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    the only time i've heard "intelligent" applied to the terminology of a musical form was in D&B, as in Intelligent D&B. I dont know much about this, or even if its true, but an artist associated it with is LTJ Bukem. and i wont front, i love LTJ Bukem, i always listen to it at the gym, its interesting because the tempo is so fast, yet the accompanying instruments are jazzy and slow, so its like intense and chilled at the same time. thats a feeling i dont experience in most music, it either intense or chilled, but never both at the same time.

To me, branding a type of music as "intelligent dance music" seems kinda bogus. That is all.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

i don't know why... but this shit made me laugh.

i really don't know the "genre" well but i gotta say most of what i've heard kinda got on my nerves.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Intelligent dance music is a genre of drum and bass. Yuichi, you are young. DUH

I have long ago dismissed this realm of music during my freshmen year of college. That is all.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I have long ago dismissed this realm of music during my freshmen year of college. That is all.

RAEL RECOGNISE RAEL

• covecove 1,566 Posts

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    There mustn't be enough English heads in here to set it all straight. I was about to write a huge thesis clearing all up all the wanky genres in the electronic realm but then I remembered it doesn't fucking matter.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    From wikipedia:

"Intelligent dance music (commonly IDM) is a genre of electronic music derived from dance music of the 1980s and early 1990s which puts an emphasis on novel processing and sequencing.[1] IDM's roots in electronic dance are responsible for the term "Dance" in the genre name, which was originally applied to musicians like Aphex Twin and those on the Warp Records label. Music referred to as IDM is generally abstract, and may range from soft ambient textures to more abrasive noise."

This is basically ambient music when ambient music started to have more beats and rhythm. Intelligent drum and bass is basically squarepusher.

They call it intelligent because (supposedly) you have to put thought into it to enjoy it, like lots of jazz, classical and noise music, it is not very accessible.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    velcro wallets
    they gets no puccini

vs

last night's party
    Do I even like puccini in that way?

• they also used to call this kinda music "braindance" back in the days.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I am a fan of a lot of "intelligent dance music" branded artists, but it's the worst name for a genre ever (except may be splattercore). It makes me cringe, especially considering that there are a lot of artists and many themes in the genre that deal with nothing past base juvenile-isms.

I always associated electro-clash with the eighties throwback for some reason. Am I wrong?

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    imo, electroclash is a term that turned up in the late 90s to describe this kind of eighties meets house meets fashion meets punk thing. stuff like dj hell is playing/releasing. or ed banger.
    i hate the term and the music/fashion thing behind ??t.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Electro -"Clash" used to be hotcoals for second. I was coppin a couple of 12"s here and there. That was easily like 9 years ago.

Electroclash, a form of music known predominantly to the underground, spawned in the late 1990s in The Hague, Munich, Berlin, Vienna, New York City, and Detroit. The first example of electroclash is often cited as the Dutch artist I-F's 1997 track "Space Invaders Are Smoking Grass." The movement emerged in 2000-2002 through Larry Tee's roving, fashion/art/hipster Berliniamsburg, and later at the Mutants club nights, at Club Luxx in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Many deem that Larry Tee coined the term "electroclash", and also began the Electroclash??? Festival which helped him in trademarking the word itself. Tee's early electroclash parties were defined by historically oppressed and/or fringe members of society, including transsexuals, cocaine users. The crowd tended to be dressed in revealing 1980s- sub-culture clothing, while music at such events consisted of obscure New Wave and disco remix records.

I saw ADULT open for Trans Am @ Warsaw in Williamsburg. Shit was hot.
    The girls up in the spot had their names Pink Duct taped to their ripped up Black T-shirts.

Shit is dead now.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i can only imagine he's talking about blog house

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i can only imagine he's talking about blog house

Im tryin to figure if he called it that or if the girl called it that.