The Flying Burrito Bros lp

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    That plate of guacamole is out of control.

if i could find the z.z. top Tres Hombres gatefold (or had the time to) id post it here for comparison

Flying Burrito Brothers are good...but I loves me some Gene Clark and the Godsin Brothers!

The Gosdin Brothers by themselves were hell on wheels, as well...you should try to find their 1968 album on Capitol, Sounds Of Goodbye, which is country-rock from the country angle. It's been reissued on CD.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Flying Burrito Brothers are good...but I loves me some Gene Clark and the Godsin Brothers!

The Gosdin Brothers by themselves were hell on wheels, as well...you should try to find their 1968 album on Capitol, Sounds Of Goodbye, which is country-rock from the country angle. It's been reissued on CD.

I've been looking for the Godsin Bros album for years. It's a tough one.

Country-rock, to me, is like jazz-fusion...it seemed like a good idea at first, but it didn't take long for the whole thing to turn limp. After Sweetheart Of The Rodeo, Michael Nesmith's tracks with the Monkees (not familiar with his solo albums), Rick Nelson ca. 1969-72, and a few random others. As far as the Burritos, I love Gilded Palace Of Sin and Burrito Deluxe, but I get the impression that these two are all you need and that everything else is for Pure Prarie League fanatics only.

This is absoulutly the greatest hippie country rock lp ever made.

That's because Cody and his guys weren't sleepy folkies like the Eagles and the rest. They borrowed from Buck Owens' Bakersfield sound, Bob Wills' hillbilly boogies, Sun rockabilly, and maybe a pinch of R&B. Just like today's alt-country acts, it didn't take much for most country-rockers back in the early '70s to turn all soft and folky. Cody was a little more focused than that. They were from Detroit, they didn't fuck around.

I have this album, it's pretty uneven, but when they were on, they were DEAD on. "Hot Rod Lincoln" (their one pop hit from 1972) sounds good on oldies radio these days, and the flipside ("My Home In My Hand") updated rockabilly far more convincingly than Robert Gordon. Hell, even David Johansen loved 'em (well, at least I saw a photo of him from his New York Dolls days where he's wearing a Cody T-shirt).

Honorable mention go to a slew of Doug Sham releated lps.

I just heard Doug Sahm & Band for the first time fairly recently, on a CD reissue...it's not as intense as the garagey Tex-Mex stuff with the Sir Douglas Quintet, but it amazes me how well it's held up. Most diehard Sahm fans think this LP is a lowpoint of his career - well, it's no "She's About A Mover," but if you GOTTA listen to laid-back country rock it may as well be on a Doug Sahm album. I like it.

I've been looking for the Godsin Bros album for years. It's a tough one.

I found the reissue (w/bonus tracks, of course) and I consider myself lucky to get that. Never seen the OG. At. All.

Yeah, fucking rare Capitol stuff. I saw that it was on CD a couple years ago, just haven't gotten around to it.

• The crucial pieces for any country-rock collection...

Anybody looking for the Gene with the Gosdin Bros LP and doesn't want to drop the loot, you should just pick up this...
    It doesn't have all the same songs but it has all the good ones.

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts

Anybody looking for the Gene with the Gosdin Bros LP and doesn't want to drop the loot, you should just pick up this...

It doesn't have all the same songs but it has all the good ones.

The above is essentially the same as w/Gosdin Bros, but some tracks were redone or remastered. Reason was these guys felt time told them it should be tweeked. IMO, the original is best..deeper richer tones vs the brighter more crisper tones on the later "postcard" cover LP. Haven't heard the sundaze reissue w/bonus tracks yet.

Pickwick..Never found any Godsin Bros Lp other than the Gene Clark one. Will definately scope it out tho!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    THE HOLLENBECK[/b]

That photo had such an effect on me, I couldn't
    wait to get out of work today and grab an order
    of tacos al pastor:

And, yes, that is a burrito in the foil, brother.
    I loves my tacos al pastor, but one order does not
    a meal make ... life without THE HOLLENBECK ain't easy

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

A good friend of mine has an unreleased 10" acetate of some amazing Gene Clark songs from the 60's.....there's a song on it that rivals the Elevators "Splash I" in sound and vibe...I have a burn of it somewhere.......Gene deserves the respect and hype that Gram Parsons gets.

Gene deserves the respect and hype that Gram Parsons gets.

Oh absolutely. One of greats.

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    Gene deserves the respect and hype that Gram Parsons gets.

Oh absolutely. One of greats.

Hallejuah!

Find that burn or whatever from the acetate. Gotta hear that!

SO PASSING A JOINT

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Country-rock, to me, is like jazz-fusion...it seemed like a good idea at first, but it didn't take long for the whole thing to turn limp. After Sweetheart Of The Rodeo, Michael Nesmith's tracks with the Monkees (not familiar with his solo albums), Rick Nelson ca. 1969-72, and a few random others. As far as the Burritos, I love Gilded Palace Of Sin and Burrito Deluxe, but I get the impression that these two are all you need and that everything else is for Pure Prarie League fanatics only.

This is absoulutly the greatest hippie country rock lp ever made.

That's because Cody and his guys weren't sleepy folkies like the Eagles and the rest. They borrowed from Buck Owens' Bakersfield sound, Bob Wills' hillbilly boogies, Sun rockabilly, and maybe a pinch of R&B. Just like today's alt-country acts, it didn't take much for most country-rockers back in the early '70s to turn all soft and folky. Cody was a little more focused than that. They were from Detroit, they didn't fuck around.

I have this album, it's pretty uneven, but when they were on, they were DEAD on. "Hot Rod Lincoln" (their one pop hit from 1972) sounds good on oldies radio these days, and the flipside ("My Home In My Hand") updated rockabilly far more convincingly than Robert Gordon. Hell, even David Johansen loved 'em (well, at least I saw a photo of him from his New York Dolls days where he's wearing a Cody T-shirt).

Honorable mention go to a slew of Doug Sham releated lps.

I just heard Doug Sahm & Band for the first time fairly recently, on a CD reissue...it's not as intense as the garagey Tex-Mex stuff with the Sir Douglas Quintet, but it amazes me how well it's held up. Most diehard Sahm fans think this LP is a lowpoint of his career - well, it's no "She's About A Mover," but if you GOTTA listen to laid-back country rock it may as well be on a Doug Sahm album. I like it.

Is Doug Sham and Band the one with Dylan and guests?

Dillard Clark or Dillard brothers people have been mentioning I can get with. The Dillard's were the real deal.

I agree with all you said Pick, accept... That HLCS&TF has some weak points. You need to listen to it and let me know what they are.

Other good ones Hank Wilson's Back (Leon Russell) The Willis Alan Ramsey record and the JJ Cale with the raccoon on the cover. Unless of course you like your country mellow & Cali.

Yes, it is. And just recently I found a single from that Sir Doug & the Texas Tornadoes' album on Dot...it's mixed in with a bunch of other stuff I haven't played yet, but I trust it'll be pretty good.

I agree with all you said Pick, accept... That HLCS&TF has some weak points. You need to listen to it and let me know what they are.

Don't remember offhand (I'm not home right now and I haven't played this LP in years), but looking at the track listing on http://www.bsnpubs.com/dot/paramount.html, that LP may have been stronger than I thought. I'll tell you later.

Ever heard that LP Cody did in 1982 for Peter Pan (yeah, the children's label - they briefly recorded regular pop & soul)? The single I have from it ("Two Triple Cheese") is a really good roots-rocker similar to what former Cody guitarist Bill Kirchen does nowadays...

Yes, it is. And just recently I found a single from that Sir Doug & the Texas Tornadoes' album on Dot...it's mixed in with a bunch of other stuff I haven't played yet, but I trust it'll be pretty good.

Don't remember offhand (I'm not home right now and I haven't played this LP in years), but looking at the track listing on http://www.bsnpubs.com/dot/paramount.html, that LP may have been stronger than I thought. I'll tell you later.

Ever heard that LP Cody did in 1982 for Peter Pan (yeah, the children's label - they briefly recorded regular pop & soul)? The single I have from it ("Two Triple Cheese") is a really good roots-rocker similar to what former Cody guitarist Bill Kirchen does nowadays...

That Doug Sham has it's moments, but it's mostly about Hey look who likes me. I think the Dylan song Wallflower is on there and good, and it seems like there is a good blues tune with David Newman, can't really remember.

Never seen that Cody on Peter Pan. There is a Gershon Kingsley on Peter Pan that was great for selling to beat heads

That Doug Sahm has it's moments, but it's mostly about Hey look who likes me. I think the Dylan song Wallflower is on there and good, and it seems like there is a good blues tune with David Newman, can't really remember.

I actually like that one all the way through. You're right about the big star-trip, but you know like I know that that was the thing in the early '70s, to not only get a famous musician to guest on your album, but to advertise it like that was the selling point, like those two Screamin' Lord Sutch albums that had names like Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page in huge print on the FRONT cover. But it's still a Doug Sahm LP when the day is over, and though I'd rather have him with the Quintet, that album sounds good for what it is.

I do not understand Doug Sham worship.

The only "Sham" I know is a guy named Sam who sang "Wooly Bully." Love him or hate him, he's Doug SAHM.

my bad.

The only "Sham" I know is a guy named Sam who sang "Wooly Bully." Love him or hate him, he's Doug SAHM.

And he did a record in Muscle Shoals with Duane Allman. At one time I was trying to collect all of DA's session work. Sam Samdino I think is his name on that record.

And he did a record in Muscle Shoals with Duane Allman. At one time I was trying to collect all of DA's session work. Sam Samdino I think is his name on that record.

And while we're on the topic of country-rock, Sam Samudio's Sam, Hard & Heavy - the Duane Allman-guested album we are referring to - has a really good track in that vein, "Don't Put Me On." With that same Tex-Mex feel he brought to his sixties sides from his "Wooly Bully" years.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Don't think I've run into anyone who worshipped him, but Doug Sahm had a long and storied career starting with some really good rockin' 45's he cut when he was like 12 years old.

His sound evolved to uniquely represent a definitive "South Texas" sound.

Since this has evolved into a general country rock discussion,
    how about Hearts & Flowers on Capitol, and the Charlatans LP on
    Philips ... both are California acts with the typical folk and
    psych beginnings, yet both albums have some excellent country rock
    tracks on them, and certainly deserve mention.

I will ride for Hearts and Flowers.

Sir Douglas is OK, but I don't think he's nearly as good as a lot the other stuff being mentioned. I know a lot of people think "Mendocino" is like one of the greatest records ever but I'm not really into it. Just my 2.

Sahm is one of those artists who are such a
    wild mix of influences that they come up with
    a unique sound, something which will always resonate
    with alot of people ... his blend of frat rock, tejano,
    country, R&B and even pop vocal (the best song on the
    "Texas Tornado" album is a horn-led schmatzy ballad done
    without a hint of irony) is certainly recognizable as
    his sound and his alone. I got a big retrospective CD of
    his work once and was surprised by how much I did not
    like it, because I had liked much of what I had heard at
    random. In small doses, he can be great, but sometimes he
    just kind of meanders around and never quite ends up with
    an actual SONG. I find the Doug Sahm and Band record to be
    pretty awful.

Probably my favorite song of his is "I Wanna Be Your Mamma Again"
    - the version on the B-side of "Mendocino" with the echo vocals
    and sloppy style, not the more polished LP version.

sometimes he just kind of meanders around and never quite ends up with
    an actual SONG.

This is pretty much my whole problem with him.

Even the stuff that I think is "cool" or "interesting" is not really anything I want to listen to very often.

• sometimes he just kind of meanders around and never quite ends up with
    an actual SONG.

This is pretty much my whole problem with him.

Even the stuff that I think is "cool" or "interesting" is not really anything I want to listen to very often.

Is this the part of the story where Sir Doug steps into his time machine, goes back to 1965 and restarts his career as a Christian cult leader with flippers for hands, thereby blowing J*ff's mind 42 years in the future???

.eerrrr ummmmmmmm fuck no....[/b]

a Christian cult leader with flippers for hands

HOW COULD THIS POSSIBLY BE BAD???

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Never seen that Cody on Peter Pan. There is a Gershon Kingsley on Peter Pan that was great for selling to beat heads

ghosts from outer space?