The Flying Burrito Bros lp

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Just got back from Academy Records in Brooklyn didn't score much, they just got a stack of The Flying Burrito bros lp in so i grabbed one. Dude behind the counter said this record is amazing, i'm not feeling it at all.Has anyone else heard this lp?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The first lp is great. the second and third both have their moments.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i love the gilded palace of sin. i think it's one of those rare lp's that i know the words to from beginning to end. it's fun to sing the different harmonies when no one is home

i didn't enjoy the gram documentary too much though

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

and after lies oblivion...

Yeah, that shit was lame.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The LA country rock seen had some great songwriters a few great moments, but I'm with you. I like country rock ok, but the Flying Burrito's are mad overrated in my opinion. Likewise Sweetheart Of The Rodeo. I think the 2 LA country rock lps I really like are Buffalo Springfield Retrospective (I know it's not cool to list a greatest hits record, but that's how I first heard them) and Emmy Lou Harris first major release with Boulder To Birmingham which is about Gram Parsons.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

This is absoulutly the greatest hippie country rock lp ever made.

Honorable mention go to a slew of Doug Sham releated lps. More Commander Cody records. Last Mile Ramblers out of New Mexico for those who like raer(heard them play a bunch of times when I was a teen. Jr Brown their guitar player is now an Austin guitar god.) Those are the only great ones I can think of right now. Pickwick will be here soon to school us on more.

After that we can start on the country guys who became hippie country rockers like Freddy Fender and Willie Nelson.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

and after lies oblivion...

The self-titled post-Gram album has an absolutely
    beautiful version of Dylan's "To Ramona" - worth
    owning just for that track alone, although it is
    a decent album overall, just no "Gilded Palace .."

hmm ... I was thinking it was later, but I guess the LP
    I'm talking about IS the third album, this one:

Also, dissing the Burritos and then pushing Commander Cody should be punishable by law.

• anyone see that fucking GOD AWFUL moving about after Gram's death..the whole stealing the coffin shit with Johnny Knoxville and Christinia Applegate? Saw some of it the other day on IFC..talk about TOTAL SHIT..yuck.

dissing the Burritos and then pushing Commander Cody should be punishable by law.

It really should be, though Commander Cody has his moments.

I used that version of "To Ramona" on my last Waxidermy swap mix. The third lp has really grown on me over the years. I think it holds up better than Burrito Deluxe as an album... though the version of "Wild Horses" on the 2nd lp is on par with their best stuff. If only that could have replaced the last song on Gilded Palace you'd have an 11 star album.

I like the uptempo song on Burrito Deluxe.

"Hot Burrito #1" is GOAT.

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    Flying Burrito Brothers are good...but I loves me some Gene Clark and the Godsin Brothers!

Yeah, that shit was lame.

yeah i was bummed when i missed my window to see it at the local rep theater and then i rented it on dvd. what a waste of time. i think they focused too much on his family and they couldn't have approached his naturally interesting biography in a more mundane and unmemorable manner. it also made him seem really unlikeable which maybe i wasn't ready for. the video quality and editing was a lot shoddier than i expected it to be, it was almost below TV. even the a&e biography on brian wilson was 10x better than this

• i tried to eat a whole hollenbeck burrito by myself the other day and i dont want to see burritos for another year.

i mean month.

I like the uptempo song on Burrito Deluxe.

lazy days? i like that one

hot burrito #1 is tops for sure, but i think as far as fbb slow jams are concerned i've played "juanita" and "sin city" the most out of any other songs on that record. actually i remember when i first moved into my current place and my roommates didn't know me very well i played the hell out of "sin city" back to back with the byrds version of "the christian life" with gram on lead vocals not to mention a lot of louvin bros. one of the roommates told me many months later that he was scared i was a fundamentalist christian because i guess he thought that was the only music i listened to.

• THE HOLLENBECK[/b]

oh my god that looks amazing

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

it also made him seem really unlikeable which maybe i wasn't ready for.

Yeah, I thought so too. I mean, I knew he was a fiend and a womanizer, but I don't see the point of doing a documentary and focusing so completely the negative aspects of someone's personality to that extent.

even the a&e biography on brian wilson was 10x better than this

Did you ever see the made for TV Beach Boys movie that was made about 6-8 years ago? It is awesome in a totally horrible cheese-fest kinda way.

it also made him seem really unlikeable which maybe i wasn't ready for.

Yeah, I thought so too. I mean, I knew he was a fiend and a womanizer, but I don't see the point of doing a documentary and focusing so completely the negative aspects of someone's personality to that extent.

totally! it was completely one sided and made him seem really shallow and almost soulless focusing on the gossip and blueblood shit which knew about, but i think was an unfair and imbalanced. seems like they didn't talk too much about the songs which is where the bulk of that emotional depth & complexity seemed to be. it was on par with vh-1 behind the music

Did you ever see the made for TV Beach Boys movie that was made about 6-8 years ago? It is awesome in a totally horrible cheese-fest kinda way.

no, i haven't even heard about it. what's it called? the a&e bio was pretty good and heartwrenching because of all the murray wilson stuff, but then they would interview billy corgan giving his 2 cents and it's like wtf i don't care about his take on the beach boys.

no, i haven't even heard about it. what's it called? the a&e bio was pretty good and heartwrenching because of all the murray wilson stuff, but then they would interview billy corgan giving his 2 cents and it's like wtf i don't care about his take on the beach boys.

I haven't seen the A&E thing. I'll try and figure out what the TV movie was called. It was a major network thing like channel 5 or 7 or something. It is hilarious. Perhaps even better then the made for TV Ike and Tina movie.

But yeah, the Gram doc seemed almost slanderous. There are plenty of good ones about troubled people that paint a more complex and realistic portrait... like the Townes or Daniel Johnston docs. I'd like to see one on Gram more like that.

I haven't seen the A&E thing.

really? i'll burn you a copy. it's very sweet and poignant despite a few suspect interviews.

But yeah, the Gram doc seemed almost slanderous. There are plenty of good ones about troubled people that paint a more complex and realistic portrait... like the Townes or Daniel Johnston docs. I'd like to see one on Gram more like that.

for a while there were bunch of these docs that screened here in local theatres that i wanted to see but missed the window. and i didn't see "be here now" and "you're gonna miss me" in addition to the gram doc. i haven't seen them yet but i hope they don't suck like Fallen Angel

I haven't seen the A&E thing.

really? i'll burn you a copy.

That would be rad. I can trade you a mix CD or something...

Does it have lots of spaced out Brian Wilson? He's always equally funny and really super sad.

The Ben Fong-Torres book about Gram is pretty
    unpleasant, as well. Maybe his story is really
    so grim that you can't "focus on the good?"

I doubt it, but it's funny how there are only
    these depressing portraits of him out there.

KEITH RICHARDS LIKED HIM!

KEITH RICHARDS LIKED HIM!

but that's another problem i had with the doc, like they could have spent more times on the interviews so i could get a clearer picture? poor gram. he's got this great story about his bestfriends stealing his deadbody and burning it and all he has to show for it is this unmemorable documentary that tells that story in a dry way and the IFC like movie with johnny knoxville and christina applegate.

i'll burn you a copy of the a&e doc stat, but i don't think i have your address. the a&e thing has full on lobotomized brian stuff but it's really sweet and you aware he isn't complete present but you know what he is trying to say and he shares many heartwarming anecdotes. he seems out there but he still expresses very clearly his gratitude for his gf and her parents who basically adopted him when murray was freaking out and his inspiration for some songs. i haven't seen the daniel johnston film but i suspect it's on that plane but not as raw. it's really good though

um and when i say "burn you a copy" i sctually mean "record it on a vhs tape" for this one. do you have a vcr?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    THE HOLLENBECK[/b]

Wow.

And I thought the inner gatefold to Z.Z. Top's Tres Hombres had some badass Mexican food. But this picture here is better photographed.[/b]

The Ben Fong-Torres book about Gram is pretty
    unpleasant, as well. Maybe his story is really
    so grim that you can't "focus on the good?"

I doubt it, but it's funny how there are only
    these depressing portraits of him out there.

What amazes me about Gram Parsons was that, like Jim Croce or Bruce Lee (who both died the same year), he was cut down in his prime. His career had no time to "jump the shark" because he would have still been in his heyday.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    That plate of guacamole is out of control.

i tried to eat a whole hollenbeck burrito by myself the other day and i dont want to see burritos for another year.

i mean month.

many's the time ive ordered a plain ole steak burrito and there was too much for me to finish at that moment - i been there