Pickwick 33 Appreciation Post

2»

Comments

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

he's a real gentleman , never snobbish and always comes out with real conversations like posts,

his posts are always informative without wanting to show off

a real treasure, would be nice to know him in person

• Yup, he is much appreciated. I always check the threads he has poasted in.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Even his forum name is record related. Definition of focused.

"Don't look Ethel!"

• Pickwick RULES...

• Every time I read one of this dude's posts, I am reminded of what a little dude I truly am. His knowledge is encyclopedic, his tastes never fall prey to the current digger trends, and his slightly mysterious stature on the board makes dude I guess oracular is the word. This place could use 20 more like him.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Mucho appreciated!

I remember the first time I read a post of his, and how I immediately recognized someone who had been doing his homework for YEARS, not to impress anyone, but because that's just how much he dug the music and all the stories that go with it. Seriously great to have guys like this around the Strut.

• pickwick33 is one of my favorite posters around here

• Have met the man in person and shared bread with him! Well, okay it was that Indian stuff does that count? Anyway, he's a great guy in real life and always keeping it "record related" on the Strut.

Me too. I have shared the nan with both pickwick33 and james. Courtesy and knowledge dropping facets. There certainly are many heads of knowledge that consolidate and isolate in Chicago but one thing these two have are hearts of gold. They both treat the ladies just as nice as the men. And they are humble to their fans. (ie. Caviccia needs to clean out his pm-box) These men are hard to come by these days. Record dudes and grills get scared of the other or they just don't care. Their honesty to music on the board and outside this window is always highly appreciated. James' sense of humor is one of a kind. I return to Soulstrut just to make sure I'm updated with their threads. But not to be confused by the two JAMES. They are not the same dude.

Too Big UPS *and heart* to pickwick33 and james
    (...and props to long lost TerryClubbup for introducing me to both of 'em dudes)

JAMESON is also a decent drink.
    yes sir, JAMES iz the man...cheers to good people!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pickwick33 is one of my favorite posters around here

"Stevie Wonder the Rock Revolutionary!".....

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    HOLY SHIT.[/b]

Between Lollapalooza, the Roky Erickson show and sleeping over at a ladyfriend's house, I have not been near a computer since yesterday afternoon. I finally come home to check up on the Strut, and NOW look!!

I don't wanna come off like I'm full of myself, but all I can say is...thanks, each and every last one of you, for putting up with my freaky-ass posts for the past three years! [/b]! Hope we can all go out to have some Indian food one of these days! (And I won't walk out on the check!)

If you're in the Chicago area tonight (or next Friday), come on out to me and John Ciba's soul night at the Hideout (1354 W. Wabansia) and holler at us - you'll see how much of a mystery man I am!

And I've been waiting for somebody (other than Johmbolaya and Luck) to bust me out on being sneaky and changing the subject heads...I was gonna blame it on Batmon or somebody, but it's too late now.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Haha for sure! You're a shining star and an asset to this community.

Johmbolaya

Not to change the subject but here's another dude long overdue for an appreciation thread.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    seems like he knows a little bit bout records

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

he's a real gentleman , never snobbish and always comes out with real conversations like posts,

his posts are always informative without wanting to show off

Exactly. I always enjoy reading what he has to say. Fave poster for sure.

I will on the JohnBook big-up too.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    the Roky Erickson show

What did you think of this show???

Did he say anything besides "Thank Yew"?

I totally buy into this Pickwick appreciation....you constantly amaze me with your music smarts......you deserve and live up to the hype.

the Roky Erickson show

What did you think of this show???

Excellent! Between that show, Lollapalooza and last year's Intonation fest, he pretty much killed it all three times. (But this year he didn't do the ultra-catchy "I Think Of Demons!")

Did he say anything besides "Thank Yew"?

No. Matter of fact, that's an apt description of his stage patter right there.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I usually play the humble in your presence, due to the appreciation. Which forces me to holler at these threads to let it be known...

(And I won't walk out on the check!)

All is forgotten. Did you ever get your coke?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    He is king of the knowledge drop.

If this guy taught a class in college, I'd enroll!

Just about every time he posts I learn something new, much respect goes out to Pickwick.

Seriously, dude is heavily appreciated.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Lollapalooza

How was it? I was at a wedding at the Field Museum this weekend (yeah, that happened) and it didn't look or sound like there was too many people there.

Lollapalooza

How was it? I was at a wedding at the Field Museum this weekend (yeah, that happened) and it didn't look or sound like there was too many people there.

It may not have sounded like it - I was in a media tent some of the time, and from the inside the audience noise was surprisingly passive - but it definitely looked like it. Lolla was cool, but only as good as whoever was performing. The Stooges and Roky Erickson were my two main faves.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Haha for sure! You're a shining star and an asset to this community.

Johmbolaya

Not to change the subject but here's another dude long overdue for an appreciation thread.

JohnBook is one of the GOATs. 'Nice Guy' doesn't begin to cover it.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Did you ever get your coke?

A side of JP I never knew.

I just stopped by here for the first time in days (not counting my Gospel Wants thread in the Wants section), and now I see one of my best friends in the world being roundly saluted. I feel like the late-comer with the three-day late birthday card and half-eaten bag of Ruffles that's mumbling about The Eagles and scratching himself.

Thanks for the patience, bud.

FELLAS: LET'S HAVE A (gaylord's) MEETING. JAMES IS SOLOMON BURKE.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Some of us only have opinions but Pickwick knows the deal. Also he probably has the most screen name

i admit, there is no way i could fit in a size-M shirt, but i aint as massive as solomon either! but we aint done a gaylord's in a minute, id be up for that...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

i admit, there is no way i could fit in a size-M shirt, but i aint as massive as solomon either! but we aint done a gaylord's in a minute, id be up for that...

Gravitas, JP. Gravitas

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    He put me up on this excellent yet largely forgotten country funk LP:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Pickwick 33 is one of the most knowledgeable, deep dudes on the 'Strut. I always read his posts with earnest and intrigue. Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I didn't know it existed since it was posted during my move to New Jersey (and I didn't have computer access). I felt compelled to to big up such a solid dude. I should've gotten up with him when I lived up I-94 from "The Chi".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    There's not been enough of his posts lately...I guess walking encyclopedias need vacations too.