Record cleaning machines

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Ok - I think I'm ready to step up to the prime time. I've heard there are now more affordable options to the VPI. Recommendations from those in the know?

Comments

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    I'll this question for ya...as I'm also considering non-manual record cleaning options.

VPI -vs- Ultrasonic???

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    It's The Nitty Gritty

They have some slightly cheaper although not as good machines too.

BTW i'd really wouldn't mind one of these...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's The Nitty Gritty

I thought there was something even less $ than the Nitty Gritty but worked on the same basic system.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    How does the Nitty Gritty $325 model compare to the VPI $500 model?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've been using that Nitty Gritty for 17 years.

It is loud as anything with a vaccum cleaner in it will be.

It had that wetting pump but it broke down early on and I took it out and packed it with foam to quite it. You want to wet by hand anyway.

If you clean a lot of records one after the other it gets real hot. I found a computer fan at surplus store cheap, cut a hole in the side and stuck it in.

I have replaced the motor and other parts. The folks at Nitty Gritty are real good at helping you keep the thing running.

I've always wished I had gotten the vpi instead. Grass greener and all that.

What about the Monk?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    It's The Nitty Gritty

I thought there was something even less $ than the Nitty Gritty but worked on the same basic system.

There's the EV-1 which you have to hook up to a vacuum cleaner. That runs for $159.

• VPI dudes.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    VPI dudes.

VPI dudes.

The $500 model sufficient?

• It'll hold you down. Unless you're working with serious volume it should be fine.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    EV-1 rocks. Seriously the best thing out there for the collectro on a budget. Myself, meatyogre & a couple others are satisfied customers. It used to be a bit cheaper, but its still hella cheap. I like that I can hook up an external vac. There are many great reviews of this online. The VPI is better for volume, like if you have a shop & want to clean dozens upon dozens of records in a sitting. Results are the same, tho, and the price is sweet. The guy who runs KAB also knows lots about 1200's. He can tell you how to tweak the hell out of em.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    BTW i'd really wouldn't mind one of these...

I've used a Clearaudio Champion for the last 5 years & love it:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio-Champion-Turntable?sc=2&category=347

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Did I recall one being able to purchase a VPI direct for far below retail if you have record store & tax ID#? Someone please enlighten me.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I think I'm going to finally take up HAZ's reccomendaiton on the EV-1.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I think I'm going to finally take up HAZ's reccomendaiton on the EV-1.

Check this review out:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/kabev1_e.html

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I'm selling my EV-1 if anyone wants it. PM me for details.

I'm still not convinced. Most reviews have only talked about VPI, Nitty Gritty. Surely someone has experience with both vacuum style cleaners and ultrasonic?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I have an ultrasonic, but it's really not time efficient, and unless you have crazy stains or dirt cakes that won't come off with suction, the VPI works just as good. Ultrasonic is only good if you have a real rare record that is worth putting time into. The EV1/Nitty Gritty works just as good as the VPI, but is not as easy to use and is a less solid feeling machine in my opinion.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    VPI 16.5 - clean and dried record in less than 60 seconds.

Also, the VPI won't break down.

• Did I recall one being able to purchase a VPI direct for far below retail if you have record store & tax ID#? Someone please enlighten me.

Yes. I got my 17 for $900, and if I had actually bought it through VPI (rather than a distributor) I probably could've gotten it for cheaper.

• The EV1/Nitty Gritty works just as good as the VPI, but is not as easy to use and is a less solid feeling machine in my opinion.

I would actually say that the Nitty Gritty (and I'd imagine, the EV1) doesn't even work as well. I bought a bunch of records from a guy who nitty gritty'd all of his wax, and I had to run them all again on the VPI. Granted I have fairly high standards but the stuff really wasn't much cleaner than just washing by hand.

I wouldn't want to hook up my home vacuum to a record cleaner... sounds nervous

That said I can appreciate the cost-effectiveness of it... but if you can spare the extra $300 I would strongly urge everyone to get the entry level VPI. It really does make a difference.

I kind of want to get an ultrasonic jawn just for the really troublesome pieces.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Damn, the VPI 17 looks tremendous.
    I bought the EV1 three or four years ago and it's pretty damn good; granted I have a mini shop vac hooked up to it for maximum suction IMG SRC=http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pasue23is.gif HEIGHT=20> which the instructions warn against but what the hell...it works better.
    I've A/B'd cleaned records and the VPI just seems a bit more thorough than the EV1/NittyGrits. Been trying to talk myself into upgrading for years.

For the rich microwave DJ:

OK...this is what i gathered...in simple, straight forward layman style

Ultrasonic is the best cleaning but highly impractical for large volume cleaning.

Vacuum style great all around cleaning, fast and easy.

Any corrections needed?

• Has anyone ever made their own successfully. This would be cheap and fairly easy to make

Home made record cleaner

Has anyone ever made their own successfully. This would be cheap and fairly easy to make

Home made record cleaner

The "fairly easy" part is debatable.

• The "fairly easy" part is debatable.
    That is true but basically all you need to do is mount an old platter and rig up a vacuum cleaner. It is a project I have had on my list of things to do for a while and i will someday get around to making one.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    By the way, I just got a KAB EV-1 (thanks meatyogre!) and the thing works miracles.