selling cracked records

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
So i came across this Northern Soul 45 for a quarter that usually goes for around $500-$600.Only problem is that it has a crack starting a half inch form the center going about 1/4 of the way into the grooves. It still plays fine (with a tiny pop) so my question is...does/has anyone ever sold cracked records?And does anyone buy it?$500 - $600 is alot of dough to just walk away from (even though I know I wont get that for a cracked record.)Do these Northern Soul collectors ever pay big $ for cracked records?

Comments

• yes.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Not sure how people feel on the whole about cracked records. But, if you eBay it, definitely note the details of the defect and post a soundclip that includes the area. If it's minor, you might get some takers. Worth a shot.

• So i came across this Northern Soul 45 for a quarter that usually goes for around $500-$600.
    Only problem is that it has a crack starting a half inch form the center going about 1/4 of the way into the grooves. It still plays fine (with a tiny pop) so my question is...does/has anyone ever sold cracked records?
    And does anyone buy it?
    $500 - $600 is alot of dough to just walk away from (even though I know I wont get that for a cracked record.)
    Do these Northern Soul collectors ever pay big $ for cracked records?

Don't buy it unless he's willing to throw in a condom.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    someone just sold a G+, cracked King Coleman "Crazy Feeling" 45 on the bay last week for 60 or 70 bucks...folks will buy cracked records on ebay. We had a broken, not cracked(it was missing a piece), Dorothy Williams 45 at the shop(it was on the wall) and someone paid $40 for it!!????? People like records.

• Yes, dudes will buy them...especially if they're hairline cracks...just note such in the description and soundclips help as well...

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Yes, dudes will buy them...especially if they're hairline cracks...just note such in the description and soundclips help as well...

Little Dude Queerie": What, exactly, is a "Hairline Crack"?

• very thin crack that doesn't really affect play at all...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    MINT MINUS

• MINT MINUS

in the running for post of the year.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    my RAMP has a crack, got it for like 14 bucks back in the day.. plays fine too

• MINT MINUS

haha.

i am guilty of knowingly buying cracked lamp 45s...
    but only for a distorted listening session or for hiding cracks in the wall.

yes i am guilty of vinyl decorations (i know, that's soooo college dormitory)

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    someone just sold a G+, cracked King Coleman "Crazy Feeling" 45 on the bay last week for 60 or 70 bucks...folks will buy cracked records on ebay. We had a broken, not cracked(it was missing a piece), Dorothy Williams 45 at the shop(it was on the wall) and someone paid $40 for it!!????? People like records.

I've found my share of records for cheap that had hair line cracks that didn't affect play. But ever so often I come close to selling one of these items, I get a second opinion first.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Yah.

I personally have a few that I keep around just to play the tracks that are unaffected by the crack/damage. One that immediately comes to mind is my Latin Breed USA LP which has a a bite sized chunk that cracked off the 1st track, otherwise the LP plays fine. I am happy with it.