INFO ON THE DOBRE LABEL?

TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
whaddup all? so i've tried to holler at the cali baller record dudes on this board and surprisingly enough, no one has been able to drop knowledge on Dobre.basically i'm putting together a story on breaky/funky releases on Dobre and could use a bit of background info about the label so i don't sound like a complete idot/foll..anyone? from what i've gathered by peeping a portion of their discog is that they pretty much released and every genre. no rhyme or reason. were they simply an indie label putting out underheard artists? thanks in advance!

Comments

• Don't know much about it, but I thought it was more of a Jazz label...What other genres did they release? I know the Bobby Forrester LP is a big boy, what else is sought after?

• tommy vig got some breaks!!!!!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I know the Bobby Forrester LP is a tepid funk terd[/b]

wow, it's funky.

yawn.

---

• I know the Bobby Forrester LP is a tepid funk terd[/b]

wow, it's funky.

yawn.

---

I never said I liked it, I just said it was a "big boy" (a.k.a. worth loot)

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Don't know much about it, but I thought it was more of a Jazz label...What other genres did they release? I know the Bobby Forrester LP is a big boy, what else is sought after?

the les demerle is a notable big boy. they put out soul, jazz, and i believe some folky stuff... kinda across the board.

• Dobre was one of many labels owned by Ray Lawrence in Studio City, CA.
    Lawrence was the doyen of sub-par, post-geezer, '70s jazz labels like Jazzz, Milagro, Prima and Trident.
    Washed up A&R dude Jack Tracy did most of the creative work, so blame him for thinking funky harmonica records would do anything but go straight to the cut-out bins circa 1977.
    There is a slight air of "tax shelter" coming off most Dobre releases, but I do think they were pretty legit.
    Offhand, I think there are around 15 LPs on the imprint.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

There is a slight air of "tax shelter" coming off most Dobre releases

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    tommy vig got some breaks!!!!!

Yes!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    tommy vig got some breaks!!!!!

Yes!

Is there a Tommy Vig record on Dobre other than The Vigs? That's my SHIT.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Dobre was one of many labels owned by Ray Lawrence in Studio City, CA.
    Lawrence was the doyen of sub-par, post-geezer, '70s jazz labels like Jazzz, Milagro, Prima and Trident.
    Washed up A&R dude Jack Tracy did most of the creative work, so blame him for thinking funky harmonica records would do anything but go straight to the cut-out bins circa 1977.
    There is a slight air of "tax shelter" coming off most Dobre releases, but I do think they were pretty legit.
    Offhand, I think there are around 15 LPs on the imprint.

You might want to pick up the phone and call Ray. After I heard the Elliot Fischer Lp I called him and he was a nice dude who wanted to talk about the label.

1) He never had copies of the records, which was the reason I called him. The studio sent tapes to the pressing plant which sent them to the distributer, he never touched them.

2) He told me that Elliot died in a car crash and was a super nice guy.

3) He did not have any Les Demerle records.

4) He did not have income to protect from taxes. If he did the tax guys got him anyway. The last days of the label he was selling off office furniture to the people down the hall so he could buy dinner.

I think I have liked all the records I have had on Dobre.
    Laurindo Almedia, always good to me.
    Elliot Fischer, I love that record.
    Frankie ORtega is #1043 but I doubt they had 43 releases.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    thanks dante and dan for the help out! check your pm's when you get a chance.

• that elliot fischer was always a little off in my book. always wanted to like it and there were things to like...but that weird sounding thing (was it electric violin) always sounded like an anorexic tuba to me

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    that elliot fischer was always a little off in my book. always wanted to like it and there were things to like...but that weird sounding thing (was it electric violin) always sounded like an anorexic tuba to me

Yeah, I've always felt the same way. There's one or 2 songs I can get with but overall it's too much for me. Some of the basslines on there are pretty tho.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    that elliot fischer was always a little off in my book. always wanted to like it and there were things to like...but that weird sounding thing (was it electric violin) always sounded like an anorexic tuba to me

Dig it out and play his version of 'Money' at + 3 at your next gig that has a quality PA.

When that first bass nite kicks in, watch the people flood to the decks.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    tommy vig has a solo record on dobre as well. it's got moments.

i contacted tommy, and asked if that was indeed his son that played on The Vigs. He confirmed.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

What was this "funky harmonica" record?

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    On Dobre, there's a jazz record by Ray Crawford and a soul LP by Sonny Til (Back To The Chapel, I think) that I know of...anything else besides the well-known stuff that's worth checking out on this label?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    tommy vig has a solo record on dobre as well. it's got moments.

i contacted tommy, and asked if that was indeed his son that played on The Vigs. He confirmed.

I think we've met before and you mentioned that to me....at Good?