Bridge Collapse in Minneapolis (holy s**t related)

2»

Comments

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

The time lapse video of the actual collapse is unbelievable. That just about the entire thing fell as one solid piece is just amazing.

where can i see this vidya?

i've often sat in rush hour traffic on the ship canal bridge in seattle that goes from one end of capitol hill to the u district on I5. the hov lanes go underneath the main level and sitting there with that thing bouncing and knowing how many cars are stuck on it at one time, i've often wondered what would happen if it went down into lake union. crazy shit.

happy to say i don't yet know of anyone personally that was involved in the minneapolis debacle and i got crazy calls last night from friends in seattle checking up on me.

• where can i see this vidya?

Just Alice's post just up there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Options

The time lapse video of the actual collapse is unbelievable. That just about the entire thing fell as one solid piece is just amazing.

JustAlice posted it in this thread, it's on LiveLeak.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

Just Alice's post just up there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i see... well, i don't see actually. for some reason most videos on this site don't show for me here at work. lame. lame and lame again.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    edith head, arcadian, and other bay area peeps...

how well is the golden gate taken care of? I remember hearing that it was not owned by the government and how a lot of money goes into it.

Just a question, and thought maybe you bay peeps would know.

• How will this effect Vikings training camp? Will the Twins still have their groundbreaking ceremony this week?

These are the only questions that matter.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

how well is the golden gate taken care of? I remember hearing that it was not owned by the government and how a lot of money goes into it.

it better be taken care of. it cost FIVE GODDAMNED DOLLARS to cross.
    http://goldengatebridge.org/research/caretakers.php
    the GGB Research Library has all your answers.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Google Maps still hasn't update itself.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geo...1&t=k&z=16&om=1

• Options
    How will this effect Vikings training camp? Will the Twins still have their groundbreaking ceremony this week?

I overheard some politician blasting the fact that we spend so much public money on stadiums and other things while the basics and neccesities of our infrastructure are crumbling.

Apparently the Twins groundbreaking has been postponed.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

i really don't know. i'm more nervous about the bay bridge which has been under construction for a while and is much longer.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I think most of google map pics are 2-5 years old.

Dan,

I'd be down for a couple hours of chalkin' this week. My days off are Mondays and Thursdays, Sundays I'm usually out of commission until about 1pm but after that I'm good to go as well.

Mainly it's the Height of the Fremont and i5 bridges that get me. I usually just hold my breath and drive as fast as I can. I felt the same way going over freeway passes in L.A. The fremont is actually a pretty cool design.

The annual bridge ride is coming up in Aug. and that means the one day of the year you can walk or ride over the fremont. I'm thinking of attacking my fear head on and doing walk over from emmanuel. It would be cool to get some pictures....the suicide hotline signs always freak me out as well.

• On one of the news stations they were interviewing these two teenaged girls and their dad and they were saying that their mom was missing, but that she is strong, she's a trooper, she's just somewhere we can't see her right now. Then right after that segment ended the newscaster got on and said "we're sorry to inform you, but their mother has just been confirmed as one of the 4 dead." So sad.

It was amazing to watch the stories of some of the survivors. Some of them dropped like 40 feet in a car an didn't really get hurt.

• ageage 1,131 Posts

i really don't know. i'm more nervous about the bay bridge which has been under construction for a while and is much longer.

Based on what they were saying on a point system,The golden gate is a 10(they are routienly working on it 24-7 .The sketchy ones and are the bay bridge and benicia. It's divided into two grades(i forget which side is which) but one side is an 8 and the other is a 4. I guess it has to do with the way one side is facing then goes into a slight curve.The worst bridge(not really a bridge) is Benicia Bridge.It's concidered a "Trust Bridge" and was rated a 4 aswell.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    yeah, the benicia has always been a mess. That and the San Rafael-Richmond (are they still working on that thing?)

• edith head, arcadian, and other bay area peeps...

Based on what they were saying on a point system,The golden gate is a 10(they are routienly working on it 24-7 .The sketchy ones and are the bay bridge and benicia. It's divided into two grades(i forget which side is which) but one side is an 8 and the other is a 4. I guess it has to do with the way one side is facing then goes into a slight curve.The worst bridge(not really a bridge) is Benicia Bridge.It's concidered a "Trust Bridge" and was rated a 4 aswell.

The 35 bridge was rated a 4.

"Prior to that inspection, the bridge was inspected in June 2006. The bridge was rated 4 over all. The 4 rating means that the state can continue to operate the bridge without load restrictions (0= shut down, 9 = perfect)."

source
    http://www.dot.gov/affairs/factsheet080207.htm

• How will this effect Vikings training camp? Will the Twins still have their groundbreaking ceremony this week?

I overheard some politician blasting the fact that we spend so much public money on stadiums and other things while the basics and neccesities of our infrastructure are crumbling.

Apparently the Twins groundbreaking has been postponed.

I was being facetious. Those were questions actually being discussed on ESPN.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Dan,

I'd be down for a couple hours of chalkin' this week. My days off are Mondays and Thursdays, Sundays I'm usually out of commission until about 1pm but after that I'm good to go as well.

Just sent you a pm, put they are full.

Weekdays she does early morning, too early for you I'm guessing.

Sunday she will be chalking till about 5pm. She will be somewhere around MLK Shaver, just follow the names from MLK and Freemont.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Word - the GGB is probably one of the better feats of civil engineering of the last 100 years. I'd much rather be on that sucker than the Bay Bridge in the event of a huge earthquake.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'd much rather be on that sucker than the Bay Bridge in the event of a huge earthquake.

Seriously.

I always think about this when I'm driving on it.

• Looking at those two pictures and the supports that go up at an angle...

how did this guy end up in this direction? Wouldn't he be facing the wrong way for the top level? Did he drive up the ramp after it collapsed? Did he get spun around?

The other thing that bugs me out is that there are people standing pretty damn close to the edge of the upper deck. There was just an earthquake big enough to drop part of the bridge down to the bottom deck and they are looking over to see what's going on.

yeah Loma Prieta is part of the reason i'm scared of the BB too.

anyway, i read in one of my roommate's nerdy science books not too long ago that the Tacoma Narrows collapse in the 40s was because of wind and sound waves

look at it sway

uh...wtf

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'd much rather be on that sucker than the Bay Bridge in the event of a huge earthquake.

Seriously.

I always think about this when I'm driving on it.

Ugh. I'm the same way--it kinda freaks me out a bit. It's not as bad on the SF side of Treasure Island, but the Oakland side...yikes.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Looking at those two pictures and the supports that go up at an angle...

how did this guy end up in this direction? Wouldn't he be facing the wrong way for the top level? Did he drive up the ramp after it collapsed? Did he get spun around?

The other thing that bugs me out is that there are people standing pretty damn close to the edge of the upper deck. There was just an earthquake big enough to drop part of the bridge down to the bottom deck and they are looking over to see what's going on.

Yeah, I have no clue how the car got that way unless it slid backwards.

"..."

Wasn't there video of the actual quake that showed somebody's car dropping off into the collapse?

Some scary shit.

• was because of wind and sound waves

I don't know if any of you watch Mythbusters, but they did an episode on Tesla. he had this theory that you could take down a building with a simple device and tuning frequencies. They tested it on one of the bay area bridges and they basically clamped a small tuning fork to the bridge and tuned the frequency to mimic the natural frequency of the bridge and it started to make the bridge rumble. They tested it at the other side of the bridge and were getting a strong reading there too. It's scary to think that tuning a vibration can cause the rumble to get out of control. It's like running the bridge through a space echo and getting to to feedback on itself.

was because of wind and sound waves

I don't know if any of you watch Mythbusters, but they did an episode on Tesla. he had this theory that you could take down a building with a simple device and tuning frequencies. They tested it on one of the bay area bridges and they basically clamped a small tuning fork to the bridge and tuned the frequency to mimic the natural frequency of the bridge and it started to make the bridge rumble. They tested it at the other side of the bridge and were getting a strong reading there too. It's scary to think that tuning a vibration can cause the rumble to get out of control. It's like running the bridge through a space echo and getting to to feedback on itself.

that's so crazy. it's surreal cause you think of concrete and steel as being so solid and incapable of budging but on the contrary from that tacoma footage & the photos of the macarthur maze tanker collapse, the roads and structure appear really malleable. especially the part of the maze that collapsed, shit looks like it was made of fabric.

amazing what heat and wind can do

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

anyway, i read in one of my roommate's nerdy science books not too long ago that the Tacoma Narrows collapse in the 40s was because of wind and sound waves

look at it sway

uh...wtf

THAT IS FUCKING CRAZY

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

FUCK THAT[/b].

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

FUCK THAT[/b].

OMG.

it's crazy how I drive over these types of structures on the daily and just sort of take for granted that the people that built it knew what they were doing.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

look at it sway

uh...wtf

Major

Can't belive I was the first to say that.

For earthquack purposes you want your structure to have that kind of play.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

I was referring to the driving directions.