NYC Restaurant Week Appreciation Thread

DongerDonger 854 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
MESA GRILL REVIEW:Bobby Flay did a pretty good job. I think he should try to attract some more guys like you to his restaurants by calling himself Bobby Flav.Got a great bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from Nappa Valley, shit was butters. Too bad I forgot the name, but I think mi gal wrote it down.Started with the Charred Corn Green Chile Soup with Cilantro Pesto and Tomato Salsa in it. There was some serious seperation going on in the flavor, you could clearly taste the spicy accents, and then the seperate sweet notes in there too. There was a suprise in every bite/sip whatever.Main Dish was some Roasted Pork with some nectar chutney going on in there and some serious bbq special sauce. The spinach was fucking awesome too, I don't know what he did to make it taste so good. Anyway, it was some ol' melt in yo mouth shit, props to my main man bobby flav!Dessert = chocolate with rasberry stuff and some banana and chocolate cream which was pretty good too.Overall I was happy with the food, it was sort of upscale Latin BBQ.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Mesa Grill is the BIZ doggie... Did you come by the shop yesterday? FAKER!!!!

Damn it's restaurant week... I gotta get it in

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Hot Tip of the Week: Fleur De Sol

Trust you will thank me for it. May possibly be the best French Restaurant in NYC, no kidding. The chef there is no fucking joke. It's French food but the portions are just right, and every bite is so rich you will def be satisfied.

What's up with some of the other strutters? They complain about $40 clothes and they don't eat out? Damn, this thread is tumbleweeds.

Oh yeah, I'm stopping by today!

• Mesa Grill is the BIZ doggie... Did you come by the shop yesterday? FAKER!!!!

Trust you will thank me for it. May possibly be the best French Restaurant in NYC, no kidding. The chef there is no fucking joke. It's French food but the portions are just right, and every bite is so rich you will def be satisfied.

What's up with some of the other strutters? They complain about $40 clothes and they don't eat out? Damn, this thread is tumbleweeds.

Fleur de Sel is good. They're consistent, though not the best french in NYC. NYC has some serious French, but for the price (not cheap) it's pretty damn good. I haven't been to Mesa Grill in forever, but I love Bolo.

BLT Fish is good. I just went to Momofuku noodle bar in the east village. That place is great and cheap. That's my new spot, and the name just sounds dirty. I like this spot in my neighborhood (Williamsburg) called Aurora. I want to try Sumile on 13th street. My chef friend said it's really interesting. So many restaurants in this city it's painful.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    So true, who has the time???

There is another ill French spot on the eastside in the 50s, can't remember the name right now but that was hot too.

Any good French reccomendations?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    BTW, RIP CELLO. Did you ever eat there? My friend used to manage the place, so I was lucky enough to got hooked up with some serious bubbly on the house when I went. I like the good champagne, pass it over.

• So true, who has the time???

There is another ill French spot on the eastside in the 50s, can't remember the name right now but that was hot too.

The chef from Cello is Laurent Tourondel. He's making a mark on NYC right now. He opened up BLT Fish, BLT Steak, BLT Prime. BLT stands for Bistro Laurent Tourondel. So solid.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

The chef from Cello is Laurent Tourondel. He's making a mark on NYC right now. He opened up BLT Fish, BLT Steak, BLT Prime. BLT stands for Bistro Laurent Tourondel. So solid.

Alright, this thread has just come full circle!

Thanks for the tip, I'm there.

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    stay away from the upstairs portion of BLT Fish, dude tried to translate the steakhouse concept to fish and shit is just not flying. the lobster roll downstairs is unfuckable tho.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Le Bernardine. Eric Ripert is the truth.
    My brother said that Per Se is really the best spot in the city at the moment as far as restaurants go. He has been there three times in the last couple of months and said the food and wine was incredible every time. You have to call about a month ahead to get a reservation and bring your fat wallet! I think the set course dinner is $175.00 per person and does not include wine. Our homeboy is the wine critic for the New York Times and my brother rolled to Per Se with him and some of the family one night. The staff recognized homie from the times and then the wine was OFF THE HOOK! The Sommelier came over to the table and said he would take care of the wine selections for the night. They had 16 different wines and stayed till 3:30AM. NOW THAT IS HOW YOU EAT DINNER!!!!! The
    Sommelier only charged them $200.00 for all the wine for a table of 5 people.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    the lobster roll downstairs is unfuckable tho.

Ayo!

• So true, who has the time???

Le Bernardine. Eric Ripert is the truth.
    My brother said that Per Se is really the best spot in the city at the moment as far as restaurants go. He has been there three times in the last couple of months and said the food and wine was incredible every time. You have to call about a month ahead to get a reservation and bring your fat wallet! I think the set course dinner is $175.00 per person and does not include wine. Our homeboy is the wine critic for the New York Times and my brother rolled to Per Se with him and some of the family one night. The staff recognized homie from the times and then the wine was OFF THE HOOK! The Sommelier came over to the table and said he would take care of the wine selections for the night. They had 16 different wines and stayed till 3:30AM. NOW THAT IS HOW YOU EAT DINNER!!!!! The
    Sommelier only charged them $200.00 for all the wine for a table of 5 people.

Le Bernadin might be the best meal I've ever had. I went to Per Se and it was incredible. But it's so pricey, if you're not going with the expense account or the family, it's tough justifying. It's an incredible experience though. The food is often perfect, the setting is great overlooking central park, the meal is paced beautifully (mine was a well-spent 4 hours). Three meals in a year... I'm jealous.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Fleur de Sel is good. They're consistent, though not the best french in NYC. NYC has some serious French, but for the price (not cheap) it's pretty damn good. I haven't been to Mesa Grill in forever, but I love Bolo.

BLT Fish is good. I just went to Momofuku noodle bar in the east village. That place is great and cheap. That's my new spot, and the name just sounds dirty. I like this spot in my neighborhood (Williamsburg) called Aurora. I want to try Sumile on 13th street. My chef friend said it's really interesting. So many restaurants in this city it's painful.

Fleur de Sel is just okay, IMO. $95 a person for the uninteresting tasting menu was really disappointing (Tabla has a good pre fixe menu). Also, they treat their wait staff like shit (aka Fleur de Hell)...The best part of the evening was getting an embossed copy of Zagat's because we spent over $500. (And the company, of course).

That said, I'm pretty underwhelmed about this year's Restaurant Week choices. I can't imagine what people are getting from Gramercy Tavern at lunch for $20 (a salad and a piece of chicken?). They need to jack up the prices a little to make it less "accessible" to everyone.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Fleur de Sel is just okay, IMO.

You're buggin! I know I went overboard calling it the best, I got hyped and shit, but it's pretty damn good!

Then again, some places can be a let down no matter how great they are. I've gone to other seriously hyped up restaurants and been dissapointed big time, and it stings a bit when you shelled out a lot of $$$ for a mediocre dish. It's happened a few times, you just never know if you went on an off night or whatever. That could totally be the case.

I am looking forward to BLT Fish though, I may need to hit it up before next week is up.

Fleur de Sel is just okay, IMO.

You're buggin! I know I went overboard calling it the best, I got hyped and shit, but it's pretty damn good!

Then again, some places can be a let down no matter how great they are. I've gone to other seriously hyped up restaurants and been dissapointed big time, and it stings a bit when you shelled out a lot of $$$ for a mediocre dish. It's happened a few times, you just never know if you went on an off night or whatever. That could totally be the case.

I am looking forward to BLT Fish though, I may need to hit it up before next week is up.

I guess I am bugging a little bit, but I didn't say it was bad. I try to reserve "great" for really exceptional places--there are hundreds of restaurants in New York City that are "good."

Has anyone been to Butter? The space looks pretty cool.

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    steer clear of butter, great space but 'meh' food. get thee to Landmarc down in tribeca, solid, well-executed bistro action (which is harder to pull off than you might think) and a wine list with the smallest markup i've ever seen.

steer clear of butter, great space but 'meh' food. get thee to Landmarc down in tribeca, solid, well-executed bistro action (which is harder to pull off than you might think) and a wine list with the smallest markup i've ever seen.

Thanks! I will put out the same warning for Devi in the Indian food arena.

• I want to try Sumile on 13th street. My chef friend said it's really interesting. So many restaurants in this city it's painful.

I just not five minutes ago was with one of the cooks from Sumile. Talking about yesterday they bought an 80 lb.[/b] cut of tuna belly. I haven't been but from the sounds of things interesting is probably the right word. Incidentally the cook in question put me onto this site in the first place and posts occasionally. DJ_Pete was his login I think. But I must be retarded because I can't figure out how to list all the users. Kojack, was that his account? Anyway, I'd recommend pm'ing him or me if you're going in. I can't guarantee the hookup but who knows.

Last restaurant week I hit Craft Bar. I've been told steer clear of the main Craft but the Craft Bar was nice. The melted Italian cheese drizzled with honey and dried crispy garbanzos was some other shit.

Who's got something to say about 360 in Red Hook?

Last restaurant week I hit Craft Bar. I've been told steer clear of the main Craft but the Craft Bar was nice. The melted Italian cheese drizzled with honey and dried crispy garbanzos was some other shit.

Seriously? Craft is one of my favorite restaurants to this day. What are people saying about it?

Craft is dope. Who said to steer clear of Craft?

• Last restaurant week I hit Craft Bar. I've been told steer clear of the main Craft but the Craft Bar was nice. The melted Italian cheese drizzled with honey and dried crispy garbanzos was some other shit.

Seriously? Craft is one of my favorite restaurants to this day. What are people saying about it?

Damn. I just posted that and walked to lunch and thought, hmmm, I bet somebody's going to come back and say Craft is my favorite shit. The actual circumstances were more like a recommendation to avoid it during restaurant week and go to Craft Bar since what Craft does well it won't be doing during the Restaurant Week lunch rush.

That said, I have gotten mixed reviews of the main Craft. Nothing as extreme as steer clear, but more like it wasn't quite worth the hype. But this was also from people who went shortly after it opened when the hype was serious. Their take was kind of like it's cool to choose my own ingredients but in a restaurant aspiring to a certain level it's preferred to let a chef do his thing. Which I can understand. I mean, at the highest levels I think I prefer an artist to put it all together than give me the raw tracks to put together myself, fun as that might be.

• CLabCLab 76 Posts

Who's got something to say about 360 in Red Hook?

great food but the owner is a complete cockfarmer.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I think Per Se is actually at $300 a head..........that is topped by Masa which is $350 per head. Obviously tax/tip not included. Both are in the time warner building.

Le Bernadin is probably one of the best spots for seafood in the city, very on point.

My favourite fronch spot is the tasty yet very affordable Les Halles........classic bistro fare done right.

I think Per Se is actually at $300 a head..........that is topped by Masa which is $350 per head. Obviously tax/tip not included. Both are in the time warner building.

Le Bernadin is probably one of the best spots for seafood in the city, very on point.

My favourite fronch spot is the tasty yet very affordable Les Halles........classic bistro fare done right.

I want to eat at Masa next time I am in the city!
    Steak-Frites at Les Halles is quite nice. You ever see Anthony Bourdain cooking there?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I ate at Craft and it was awesome, but I am easily impressed. For my money (which it wasn't), I could do without the airplane hanger-esque vibe.... maybe I'm remembering it wrong but it was a big room, stark, and half full. I like a cosy room.

Babo is damn good, but I fucked up because when I went I wasn't eating pork. The fish is less spectacular.

I'm real down with Milos for fish.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i guess you guys are all about the paris hilton hotspots. what about ROSE MEXICANA in colombus circle, or SUSHI SAMBA SEVEN? that's some good shit, mang.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Has anyone been to Butter? The space looks pretty cool.

The food is decent, but I do like the space a lot. I actually dj'd there for a one night - special gig thing, it was fun and there were some beautiful women there.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    The Lotus Lounge