Do I need an MPC???? ::::: GEAR STRUT :::: Related

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
So I have the chance to grab an MPC3000 or 2000. Do I really need one? I like to switch up my tools and based on it's historical use in the world of that boom bap shit, seems like a good idea.Right now I use two turntables, a groove box, a tr808, a mac, reason, all in Pro Tools. What's so fresh about an MPC, the quantize? The lofi bitrate? What's better a 3000 or 2000(noxl)? What's a good price for used ones?What'ya think? If I got the cash, do it because it's or use what you got?I'm reaching out to the Soul Strut massive. Help a little guy grow.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Buy an MPC 3000. Do not buy a 2000. The 3000 sounds great, but most importantly it is just a damn intuitive machine that is very hands on. The filter kills, and if you can find a proper compact flash drive you can transfer samples between your computer and MPC.

A little over a grand seems to be a solid price for a fully functional 3000. E_Daily from these forums can rant to you for years about it's greatness, including the new 3.50 Operating System.

I'd also look into an MPC 60 if you're looking for "that" sound.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    on the 60. Don't go the 2000 road 'cause you'll be frustrated.

But in answer to your question, you don't NEED an mp... they're just great to use and sound good.

• I'm gonna do it. The price is so good if I don't like it I can flip it.

• Done deal. NOW I'M SITING HERE WITH A MACHINE THAT HAS LOTS OF BUTTONS. I downloaded the manual but I have a question before I dive in.

Do I need a floppy disk or does it have enough internal memory to get it poppin'? Also I noticed the little cover (door) of the floppy drive came off.

You are about to have a lot of questions man. Feel free to hit me up on the PM, but mpc-forums.com is the spot to talk about this.

To answer your first question, the 3000's internal memory does not save when you turn the machine off, and so you always have to save your work externally and load it up again. As a temporary solution get a cheap SCSI zip drive and use that to save, but really you should look into finding a CF reader, which is an experience itself

• Cool, thanks.

Here it is.

I configured it with Pro Tools so I can load samples from there. I was able to load a drum sound and man, was it punchy. It sounds real nice.

The manual goes right into sequencing, assuming one possesses the factory floppy disks, which I don't. Should I continue loading sounds, figure out how to make banks, then learn from there, or should I try and get the original floppys?

I'm basically giving myself today (8 hours)to learn the basics, although I'm sure I'll be constantly figuring out new things for years to come, I have to get it working.

• I laugh at people who own mpc1000's. Theyre so girly.

I just sold my MPC1000 yesterday...

and no, I'm not that girly!!!

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I use a 60, but I didn't know you needed a disk to sequence. Isn't that just a part of the o/s that's on the ram? Either way, get thee to the mpc forums!

• I use a 60, but I didn't know you needed a disk to sequence. Isn't that just a part of the o/s that's on the ram? Either way, get thee to the mpc forums!

fsho fsho

I wont pollute this forum with anymore of my mpc newbie ??????s

BTW I found a floppy to save my sounds to. I built a drum kit, now I have to figure out how to sequence over the next few hours.

Duuuude, that looks super clean, sounds like you got a killer deal. Enjoy.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    yeah man the 3000 is dope. If i had it i would sequence the same way i do with my 2000xl. Just control VSTI's in Ptools (or ableton live in my situation) with the 3k.

The sampling is dope, but i like to work fast so i sample with the pc, chop with the pc, and then make programs in the DAW and just seq it all with the mpc. So then you can get EQs, Compression, Effects, via ptools but still do your seq with the mpc.

Dont get me wrong the mpcs sampler does add nice color to sounds, but for productivity, the seq trumps the sampling. And also i think that signature "MPC sound" just comes from the seq'in. If you know how to engineer or take your shit to someone who does, then that lofi 12/16 bit of the older mpcs engines color, becomes null. You have ptools so you already are pretty well off with the 3k/pc midi link. Thats the direction i would steer.

peace and that is a real nice buy. Youll love it any which way you decide to use it.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Alright.. This is all looking fine and dandy. But, I'm wondering what your takes are on the MPD24. I'm like right on the edge of purchasing one, don't really have the cash for the more expensive jawns. I'm a computer wiz, so sequencing in battery or what have you is no prob. I know most of everybodys past response was that it was not worth it. However, I've had some more than compelling evidence that it can do the job.

Pretty soon.. I'll have it setup so I can just record live drum sessions. So, I'm teeter tottering on the decision.

- spidey

That thing is cool if you like to seq with the pc. Its all music at the end of the day so all this equipment is a means to one end. I have the trigger finger and when im in ableton live it works more then efficient for me.

Just the mpc and the way i can just hit rec + playstart, get my count in, just play the computer like its in the mpc, do my undos, makes it worth the $1200 i spent on my 2000xl. But the computer does the same exact thing so the mpd would be fine. If your nasty with computers then it should be right up your alley.

• you need an emu sp1200 and an akai s950

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

The sampling is dope, but i like to work fast so i sample with the pc, chop with the pc, and then make programs in the DAW and just seq it all with the mpc. So then you can get EQs, Compression, Effects, via ptools but still do your seq with the mpc.
    That sounds like a real nice setup. I also have Ableton Live 6 and I think I'll be buying a hardware sequencer by the end of 2007.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    you just need a reel to reel, a razor blade and some tape

• I traded product and some cash for the mpc. Ended up costing me $600, or $800 wholesale. I know, that's amazing.

Man, I had no idea about this thing. 4 midi outs is
    I didn't realize what a sequencer it is. So in one sequence I can have samples, hardware syths, software syths, and other shit in an orgy of sound making conducted by the mpc. This is gonna be fun.

• the MPD looks like it has 16 levels but does it have both velocity and pitch variation like the MPC. labcabin has the originals for $99. very tempting.

cant have 16 levels cause it doenst have a sampling engine. Its bascially just a midi drum pad controller. You would have to make your own program with a VST sampler to achieve the "16 levels" feature like the mpc. Like use simpler in live, or nn19 in reason and it will chromatically stretch it across the keys/pads.

• TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts
    cant have 16 levels cause it doenst have a sampling engine. Its bascially just a midi drum pad controller. You would have to make your own program with a VST sampler to achieve the "16 levels" feature like the mpc. Like use simpler in live, or nn19 in reason and it will chromatically stretch it across the keys/pads.

but the mpd 24 has 16 levels...which IMO is a big deal...

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

but the mpd 24 has 16 levels...which IMO is a big deal...

I'm guessing you can't do pitch on the 16 levels? I dont see any reason it cant give out 16 velocity levels of a single note, thats actually kinda cool, but pitch seems like it might require extra software...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I say this everytime it comes up, but the MPD pads, in my experience, are garbage. It feels like you're tapping on a wood desk. Nothing like actual MPC pads. And if latency is a factor, forget about it.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I say this everytime it comes up, but the MPD pads, in my experience, are garbage. It feels like you're tapping on a wood desk. Nothing like actual MPC pads. And if latency is a factor, forget about it.

You sound like you don't know how to set up your DAW properly.

A DAW with proper I/O can have latency just as good or better than an MPC.

As far as the pads go, have you tried the MPD 24? The pads are nothing like the cheaper MPD 16 that sells for 99 bucks now.

• Agreed, one of my housemates has the MPD24 and i have an MPC2000 and i have no problems using his set up, no latency problems and the pads feel fine to me...

• It took me a couple of days but so far I've sampled a drum kit and turned it into a program.

I Made a sequence, then tried running a midi synth on another track. Success.

Then I tried sequecing a track with Reason as the sound module. Success.

The sequencer is easy and fun but I haven't tried any step editing yet.

It's so much more fun hammering out beats on the pads than it is editing midi data on a screen with a mouse. I'm lovin' it.

• saucesauce 8 Posts
    I say this everytime it comes up, but the MPD pads, in my experience, are garbage. It feels like you're tapping on a wood desk. Nothing like actual MPC pads.

I haven't tried it out, but my boy's MPC 1000's pads are hard as shit and aren't really as responsive as the older MPC's. Plus they are a lot smaller, and if you got fat fingers lol, forget about it