FLYING DUTCHMAN RECORDS

2»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It seems Bluestime only came out with ten albums, as I can't find any titles past 29010:

BTS-9001 - The Plastic Caster Band-The Plastic Caster
    BTS-9002 - Joe Turner-Real Boss Of The Blues
    BTS-9003 - Various Artists-Super Black Blues
    BTS-9004 - T-Bone Walker-Every Day I Have The Blues
    BTS-9005 - Harmonica Slim-Return Of Harmonica Slim
    BTS-9006 - Otis Spann - Sweet Giant Of The Blues
    BTS-9007 - Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson-The Original Cleanhead
    BTS-9008 - Malcolm & Chris-Just The Blues
    BT-29009 - Various Artists-Super Black Blues Volume 2
    BT-29010 - Various Artists-Blue Time

Where did you find this discog?

A lot of the FD sublabels came & went - Reggae only had four LP's, from what I understand.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I like this one a lot:

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    It seems Bluestime only came out with ten albums, as I can't find any titles past 29010:

BTS-9001 - The Plastic Caster Band-The Plastic Caster
    BTS-9002 - Joe Turner-Real Boss Of The Blues
    BTS-9004 - T-Bone Walker-Every Day I Have The Blues
    BTS-9005 - Harmonica Slim-Return Of Harmonica Slim
    BTS-9006 - Otis Spann - Sweet Giant Of The Blues
    BTS-9007 - Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson-The Original Cleanhead
    BT-29010 - Various Artists-Blue Time

Where did you find this discog?

I put it together by searching on GEMM. When I found a pattern and didn't come up with more results, I did some on Google before I couldn't find any more.

A lot of the FD sublabels came & went - Reggae only had four LP's, from what I understand.
    I couldn't find any (so far).

AMS 12003 Wyse, Lois[/b] Love poems for the very married Poems read by the author, with orchestra; Tom Scott, arranger-composer-conductor.

...and wouldn't you know it, I did some for-the-heck-of-it Net searching and I found out that Ms. Wyse just died a few short weeks ago...apparently Love Poems... was a popular book back in '71 and this was like an audio version.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This is a great album, and not really a
    "various artists" album but a supergroup "jam
    session" with T-Bone Walker, Joe Turner, Otis Spann,
    George "Harmonica" Smith, Paul Humphrey, Ernie Watts,
    Arthur Wright & Ron Brown.

• recently picked up the Count Basie "afrique" album and thought it was a pretty good listen.

i have a copy of this in the trades section if anyone is interested!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    There was also Contact and Mega. Normally Mega was a country label (their biggest hit was Sammi Smith's "Help Me Make It Through The Night"), but they had a few jazz releases distributed through FD (like this one Bernard Purdie LP).

the stand by me lp? i never ever got what the deal was with that. a dude who usually recorded for much bigger labels, on a label known for country music, distributed by flying dutchman.

dont forget the Apollo 100 LP's were also on Mega. was bill black on there too at one point?

• are those rosco records any decent? what about the soul and soledad? is`there music on that one or is it completely spoken word?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Plus, there were oddities like the Plaster Caster Blues Band (based around noted Chicago penis sculptress Cynthia Plastercaster; all reports say that this album, which Cynthia had nothing to do with, is basically nondescript blooze-rock).

though. Agreed not a great record but the drums are nice.

Plus, there were oddities like the Plaster Caster Blues Band (based around noted Chicago penis sculptress Cynthia Plastercaster; all reports say that this album, which Cynthia had nothing to do with, is basically nondescript blooze-rock).

though. Agreed not a great record but the drums are nice.

yeah, but that's like saying "the bread was rotten but the crust tasted good"

There was also Contact and Mega. Normally Mega was a country label (their biggest hit was Sammi Smith's "Help Me Make It Through The Night"), but they had a few jazz releases distributed through FD (like this one Bernard Purdie LP).

the stand by me lp? i never ever got what the deal was with that. a dude who usually recorded for much bigger labels, on a label known for country music, distributed by flying dutchman.

Plus, it's just a weak album all around. Not even Gil Scott-Heron can save this LP (with a horrible recitation he must have made up in the studio bathroom at the last minute).

[dont forget the Apollo 100 LP's were also on Mega. was bill black on there too at one point?

Yes, Bill Black's band was on Mega as well, but neither Black nor Apollo 100 were distributed by FD. Mega kept the pop/country stuff to themselves, but had the jazz half of their stable released through Flying Dutchman.

• Just copped Cesar Ascarrunz's Cesar 830 OG and it's got some nice tracks on it.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Yeah, Thiele, for all his forward-thinking avant-garde tendencies, made sure dixieland and other older styles of jazz were well-represented on FD. Especially after the brief ragtime craze around '74 or so.

I've been wondering about this. All of a sudden FD put out these boogie-woogie and ragtime inspired LPs ("I Saw Pinetop Spit Blood", that Mike Wofford LP, a.o.) around 74-75. What sparked this trend?

Yeah, Thiele, for all his forward-thinking avant-garde tendencies, made sure dixieland and other older styles of jazz were well-represented on FD. Especially after the brief ragtime craze around '74 or so.

I've been wondering about this. All of a sudden FD put out these boogie-woogie and ragtime inspired LPs ("I Saw Pinetop Spit Blood", that Mike Wofford LP, a.o.) around 74-75. What sparked this trend?

It wasn't just FD going ragtime, it was the world. Just like the '80s is (sorta) the hip retro craze now, the prewar era was the big craze in '74.

I don't know if this movie started it, but it sure didn't hurt:

And from the movie, Marvin Hamlisch had a huge hit single with a Scott Joplin song ("The Entertainer").

Now, I'll give credit - Thiele was actually recording pre-war jazz on FD before it was revived (Willie "The Lion" Smith), but as soon as it made an official comeback, around '74-75 he just went swing crazy, making sure he got a piece of the new trend before it disappeared.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Yeah, I figured it had to have some connection to the "Sting" effect. I just wasn't aware that the trend was that massive.

Regarding the Impulse/Flying Dutchman cover art similarity, didn't Chuck Stewart do a lot of the photo work on both labels? I like his pictures of the musicians that usually appear in the liner notes.

I'll co-sign on the excellence of that Leon Thomas Spirits LP.
    And I still need "El Exigente".

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    what about the soul and soledad? is`there music on that one or is it completely spoken word?

not really spoken word but an interview with her while she was in prison from what i remember. plaese to school if i'm wrong.

• Now, I'll give credit - Thiele was actually recording pre-war jazz on FD before it was revived (Willie "The Lion" Smith), but as soon as it made an official comeback, around '74-75 he just went swing crazy, making sure he got a piece of the new trend before it disappeared.

He was doing this type of thing when he was still at Impulse too

• I'm kinda answering ass backwards, but I knew of the Amsterdam subsidiary, but not of Bluestime (I know of the Bluesway subsidiary for ABC), Reggae, or Bob Thiele Music, and let's not forget Doctor Jazz and Red Baron.

As far as Bluestime, Thiele was involved with both that label and Bluesway (in its' earliest days). There were several artists who recorded for both companies.

I have a white label of Larry Coryell-Fairyland thats on Mega. Probably the best Coryell I have, its just him, Bernard Purdie and Chuck Rainey live.

what about the soul and soledad? is`there music on that one or is it completely spoken word?

not really spoken word but an interview with her while she was in prison from what i remember.

well, that would still be "spoken word," right? although it's not poetry like those other FD releases

• I have a quite interesting hard rock record on the label right now - Dirty John's Hot Dog Stand which is on the Amsterdam imprint. Gets a bit psychedelic in places.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Dirty John's Hot Dog Stand

PAUSE on that title

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

29009 features T-bone Walker and Leon Thomas, I don't have it any more.

Who were Malcolm and Chris?

• Dirty John's Hot Dog Stand

PAUSE on that title

Was totally in the running until my buddy said "What about calling it 'Good Records'?"

Who were Malcolm and Chris?

Malkum & Chris were a white blues duo who are still around, as you can see from this link:
    http://www.windowsmedia.com/MediaGuide/Templates/ArtistProfile.aspx?p_id=P%20%20%20528899

B.B. King produced their Bluestime LP, which according to this link was called Just the Blues. Apparently the guy's name is spelled "Malkum," but it was changed to the more conventional "Malcolm" for this LP.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I'm kinda answering ass backwards, but I knew of the Amsterdam subsidiary, but not of Bluestime (I know of the Bluesway subsidiary for ABC), Reggae, or Bob Thiele Music, and let's not forget Doctor Jazz and Red Baron.

As far as Bluestime, Thiele was involved with both that label and Bluesway (in its' earliest days). There were several artists who recorded for both companies.

I have a white label of Larry Coryell-Fairyland thats on Mega. Probably the best Coryell I have, its just him, Bernard Purdie and Chuck Rainey live.

oh yeah, forgot that was on mega...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

This is a great album, and not really a
    "various artists" album but a supergroup "jam
    session" with T-Bone Walker, Joe Turner, Otis Spann,
    George "Harmonica" Smith, Paul Humphrey, Ernie Watts,
    Arthur Wright & Ron Brown.

Fair enough, still sounds interesting.