My wife's grandmother

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Weema is going to pass away sometime this week. Her husband, Bumpa, is an inconsolable mess. They are 97 years old, and have been married for 72 years.Can you imagine that? Being with one person for that long? A huge portion of the population doesn't even live that long, let alone stay married for that length of time. I can only imagine the trauma of that- losing someone who was pretty much the equivalent of your arm, your leg- a part of you- after that long together.This is going to tear the family up. Not in a bad, unexpected way. Just watching the couple that was the ROCK, the example to all others of how to be together, and love, and create a family, and what was important...To see them torn apart is gonna be brutal.72 years. That is a lifetime...

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I lost my father's mother last year - 93 years old.

My boy said - "Bruce, if someone lives past 85, theyve WON THE GAME!"

So, as hard as it will be, yalls family still have a lot to celebrate in witnessing your elders living WAY past the average mofo. And that in itself is a beautiful thing.

Keep your head up.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I lost my father's mother last year - 93 years old.

My boy said - "David, if someone lives past 85, theyve WON THE GAME!"

So, as hard as it will be, yalls family still have a lot to celebrate in witnessing your elders living WAY past the average mofo. And that in itself is a beautiful thing.

Keep your head up.

I understand...when a 93 year old dies, it is rarely sad. At this point, dying will be a reprieve for her from the pain she has been suffering through for a year or so.

The sad part is, for her family, watching the couple at the head of the family tree broken up. That is what is gonna be tough.

A few years back, Weema got so weak that she couldn't garden with Bumpa anymore. So, he put a mirror in the garden, and angled it towards the house, so she could watch him from the window, and wave to him.

They were THAT sort of couple.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    My grandmother passed away three weeks ago at 96. It was sad, but like Batmon said, at that age they have certainly lived a full life. It is the end of an era when these folks die, but be happy, this life is only one's soul's infancy for a grand eternity.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    dude, my grandma's name was Weema.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

A few years back, Weema got so weak that she couldn't garden with Bumpa anymore. So, he put a mirror in the garden, and angled it towards the house, so she could watch him from the window, and wave to him.

If that doesn't make you a bit misty, your heart is pure granite.

Good luck with the transition, K. I am sure everything will work out fine.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

If that doesn't make you a bit misty, your heart is pure granite.

Good luck with the transition, K. I am sure everything will work out fine.

although after 70+ year of marriage, I suspect it might have been so she could tell him what he was doing wrong. s

god bless them, you are all lucky for having your grandparents, all mine had passed away before i was born. My dad's dad was born in 1884.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    72 years. That is a lifetime...

My wife's grandparents celebrated their 60th last year. She and I were the youngest people at the party. They are old, but grandma works part-time as a LCSW and grandpa has a beautiful garden (his canned "dilly beans" are fierce!) and he built a kayak for a young woman in the marine biology department where he used to profess.

I feel priviledged to be a part of their life. It's a real joy to see two people who have experienced so much together. It makes me look forward to growing old. Grandma always puts the initials D.B. on grandpa's presents. Last year I asked my wife why. She said, "That means Dirty Bastard. They got jokes too!

Here's to Hazel and Leonard.

And here's to the influence and memories and love your wife's grandmother gave your family.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sorry to hear that.

I hope you and your wife set a new record for years married.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Good luck with this Kitchen.

You should feel lucky to have these people in your life. I've been spending a lot of time with my older neighbor couple, I missed out on having a real grandparental presence in my life, and I just like spending time with my neighbors and hearing their stories. I hope to be part of a cool old couple one day

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    Yes man... Just celebrate the times... My Grandmother passed about a year ago.. It was tough but I got to re-live all the great memories with everyone... Life needs time for greiving though. I feel like a lot of other things come to light, dreams you have, thoughts on life... Like you said.. they were the type of couple you want to emulate with your lady.. That is a great gift.. Make sure you express your feelings to them while you have the time.