Drug Rap

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
That Lil Wayne thread got me thinking.There's tons of rap records about drugs. But what are songs that are actually good to enhance a high? And when I say drugs, I'm talking beyond herb. For me, the ultimate get-my-motor-running song is "I'm a Baller" by Yung Redd, Chamillion & TC off of this album...A particlular New Year's Eve at Port Aransas imprinted Chamillionaire's sing-song hook into my cerebral cortex for life.I've got other songs in mind, but I'll let y'all chime in with soem of y'all's before I get carried away...

Comments

• 6 people crammed in a purple '92 2 door cavalier +
    handful of shroomies +
    the last track on
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket =
    almost literally

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I was looking for a scan of either of the 2 relavent 12"s of an old club/drug favorite of mine, and ran across this inquiry on Allexperts.com...

Date: 3/26/2005
    Subject: Looking for a song from the 80's

Question
    This song had to be from the late 80's or early 90's. It was in all the clubs. I thought it was called "Twilight Zone" but can't find that. The lyrics go something like, "You're in the twilight zone, not the past or the future...on your own, on your own, in the twilight zone." I think it was around the same time they would play "Joy and Pain". I hope you can help...this has been driving my sister and I crazy for years. Thanks,
    Jerann from Houston

Moses P is the artist and Twilight Zone is the song. Clubs in Houston circa '88-'89 played the hell out of that song. I remember for years the only recording I had of it came from the radio and was on the flipside of my dubbed copy of Life Is...Too $hort.

Twilight Zone blew up bigtime in Houston at a time when Texas was still the center of the ecstacy universe. And I've seen no evidence that Twilight Zone caught on as big anywhere but Houston.

Several years ago when I finally got ahold of the very 2 Twilight Zone 12"s that I had been wanting forever, I scored them from DJ Styles from of course Houston.

Shortly after that, I spotted a really beat copy of one of those 12"s at Peaches in Atlanta...but outside of that, I never see it nor hear anyone not from Houston ever able to recognize the song, let alone talk about its retrospective wonders.

Anyway, there's something about the way the tiny drum breakdown is filtered on the remix (The Neptunes and even Mannie Fresh owe a bit to Twilight Zone) that I swear possesses the ability to extend the circuitry of a good trip and send it into hyperdrive.

I didn't end up finding a scan of either of the Twilight Zone 12"s, but I did find this one from the same era...

Euro rap raer adopted-by-Texans proto-rave on...

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    thats a good question.

I like the xzibit shroom songs.
    cage does mad shit about leak.
    beanie sigel - purple rain is rugged. All about promethazine(sp?)
    tripping by grazediggaz - bout acid and leak
    emanon - six million ways, has some pretty moving lyrics about dope.

thats a good question.

I like the xzibit shroom songs.
    cage does mad shit about leak.
    beanie sigel - purple rain is rugged. All about promethazine(sp?)
    tripping by grazediggaz - bout acid and leak
    emanon - six million ways, has some pretty moving lyrics about dope.

Yeah, but do these songs when played while under the influence enhance that influence?

Here in Texas, Wreckshop can take you in either direction by way of "Barre Baby" and "Power Up"...both enormous club classics. But I'm not sure I really want to hear either of them specifically to kick my shit into a higher gear.

That's what the Cash Money remix of "Ha" is for...

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    yeah man all those songs work with the appropriate drugs. The one xzibit joint samples Ohio Players Funky worm, like the real bugged out part, which used to make us trip ballz when we were on mush.

Tripping by gravediggaz though would make me bug out. I wouldnt be able to fuck with that shit on dust or cid.

Beanie Sigels joint samplings In the Rain, so its all like dramatic but real smooth, so be good on a codine/prometh(syrup) high.

Cage and mister eon got some joints. Like sherm penn which is dope to listen to while faded. Also tame one got joints on his first solo album, not artifacts shit.

and six million ways would make you feel like a junkie if you were high on dope, which might actually help you get your life together, but not enhance the high. Be kind of a bummer.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Obviously there are songs which tell stories about how heroin ruins lives, but are there any songs of any genre that praise it's use? That would be both and at the same time

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Obviously there are songs which tell stories about how heroin ruins lives, but are there any songs of any genre that praise it's use? That would be both and at the same time

D'Angelo count?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    D'Angelo count?

UM

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    D'Angelo count?

UM

I meant is it rap enough for ya?

I guess anything by Spoonie Gee would count. He got bailed in/x for publishing. allegedly

• autoauto 198 Posts
    yeah man all those songs work with the appropriate drugs. The one xzibit joint samples Ohio Players Funky worm, like the real bugged out part, which used to make us trip ballz when we were on mush.
    love that song

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    UM

Just remembered a night spent at some UT professor's nifty Bauhaus-influenced home that my friend was housesitting. About 8 of us dropped acid and listened to this cd on unintentional repeat...

I came away professing it as a great album and later that night a giant watermelon got slammed-dunked from a 3-story staircase onto the back patio...only to have us peal chunks off it of the ground, walls, and windows for immediate vulture-esque consumption.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I CARVE PERFECT CUBES OUT OF MID-AIR

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

i need a bag of dope- B-32

early Cash Money all about doing heroin...